Going through oil within a week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan R Gennings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 and it is going through oil within a week and it's not smoking and it's not leaking any ideas

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If The PCV system is not working properly. A clogged PCV system can cause major oil blowback, which means that oil is actually being sucked back into the engine through the air intake.
Do you have oil in the air intake ? Check PVC no matter what and if not that run a compression check on cylinders

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it is the 5.9 magnum you may have a bad plenum gasket. It can use a quart or more a week, if gasket is bad. Search for the repair on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sbraman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When was the last time you changed the oil? The first thing i would check is the oil drain cap, and then the oil filter to see if either are missing or have any holes or damage to it.
Another possibility but VERY UNLIKELY it could be cavitation, if it is that is real bad news. If everything else checks out pop the coolant res. cap and check to see if there is any oil in there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Any smoke out the tail pipe, are you sure? What oil are you using? Try a low noack oil. Hows coolant looking? Check radiator cap when cold.