Good bye Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Saying goodbye to my first truck and ram. I do not have the tools or time currently to save her from this coolant leak. It has gotten worse and the coolant is beginning to look slightly milky. After battling cancer on wheel wells, pressing hubs out of there position due to so much corrosion and rust i still look in sadness knowing its over. I traded in for a 2011 Sierra 1500 SLE with 67k miles and Trailer, Offroad Package. Hoping this truck holds off against rust better and the 5.3l engine gives me more options to grow power then what the 4.7l provided. Thanks for all the guidance throughout my time here.
If anyone has Recommendations for the 2011 GMC sierra 1500 SLE Ext Cab 4x4 i will most likely still be around this page to check up and pass on any knowledge.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.3 is a good engine, had several.

Regarding rust......products like Fluid film and boiled linseed oil have eliminated my rust issues entirely.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'm a GM guy by nature....this is my first Dodge product so I grew up on gm. Get it undercoated and get the rockers and cab corners undercoated. If I was buying another gm I'd drill it from the inside and coat the cab corners and rockers inside and out. I just got rid of my 06 Duramax and rust was the reason. Mechanically was pretty good. Fuel lines and brake lines are going to rust....not if but when. Mechanically you're pretty good 5.3L is a solid motor and taken care of will run forever. Trans are solid also.

svtnos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We (my wife) have a 2018 gmc .... terrain.. biggest pos ever..

That sierra will prolly rust over the rear wheel wells faster than the ram

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Terrains are known pos. Apples and oranges comparing it to a Sierra. That 5.3L is an awesome motor. They will run forever. Rust is an issue but I've seen my fair share of dodges missing chunks of rear quarter panels too.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id say the biggest factor that led the to replacing the Dodge is that its 17yrs old. Nothing is made like it was back in the day. Metal rusts, paint fades, seals wear out...in the end age/time always wins.
As for the comments about the GMC Terrain, the missus has one and it has been awesome. ‘18 Denali, 2.0 turbo, AWD loaded. Fast, nice ride, great interior. 20k on it and all we have had bad happen was a glitchy radio (replaced) and she curbed the **** out of one 19” polished/graphite wheel. She bought the top tier warranty, so so far its only cost $50 deductible for the wheel. I will say, that its not the most solid built, feels light...I lost the battle on it. Wanted the Acura RDX, but its not my daily driver..

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Wanted the Acura RDX, but its not my daily driver..

I too liked the RDX and made the mistake of taking my wife in to test drive one.....She walked right past the RDX and got in the MDX and it cost me about $15k more than I had planned.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too liked the RDX and made the mistake of taking my wife in to test drive one.....She walked right past the RDX and got in the MDX and it cost me about $15k more than I had planned.
Yeah, I wanted the MDX. I loved my TL. She wanted the smaller size. She is loyal GM to a fault though...The Terrain is nice, but Acura is better, for her needs.

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
We (my wife) have a 2018 gmc .... terrain.. biggest pos ever..

That sierra will prolly rust over the rear wheel wells faster than the ram

HAHA! Its actually comical to hear someone say that a any other truck would rust faster then a 3rd Gen Ram.

My ram was covered in rust from head to toe. The wheel bearings were so rusted had to use a press to get them out. Inside doors were rusted. both wheel wells were completely rusted through aka why i used bolts to drill fender on since there was barely a wheel well left. This truck is spotless compared to the ram.

I learned there is a spot under the wheel well in the Sierras that allow you to remove it and clean any dirt/salt and what not out.
I loved my ram and didnt want to trade it in. But it was a rust bucket just like every other older ram i have seen.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well when you live in the Salt belt I’m sure most older vehicles are gonna be rust buckets.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
My 06 is fine so far....it sat alot though. I just bought it a month ago with 86k. Was owned by an OTR driver so that's why it sat. Taking it to ziebart before winter. Underside looks pretty good and I want to keep it that way
Versus my 06 Duramax but it had 186k of hard miles when I got rid of it. Loved that truck and hope this one is as good over the long term.

IMG_20190402_143603.jpg

MVIMG_20190329_175251.jpg

JD86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
All in where you live and the attention is received. I just bought an 05 1500 with just over 150k. I’m sure there’s some rust somewhere but I’ll be damned if I can find any. I’m in southeastern va though too. Didn’t see a single flake this winter.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is all you need and rust is done.15568836806557037775852518323546.jpg