Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looks like a Discount Tire version of the Duratrac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I agree ... There us way better out there for way less money

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Looks like a Discount Tire version of the Duratrac

That had occurred, but the tread pattern appears to be a little different, at least assuming the pictures of both are correct. What caught my attention was the claims of being quiet on road.

-K

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just not a fan of Goodyear.

It's odd, I ran Goodyear Wranglers's on my last truck, a 2001 Dakota, for the entire 17 years I drove it and they were fantastic on that truck, never gave me any problems and performed very well. Now I have a RAM 1500 and the same Goodyear tires, quite simply, suck. So I'm torn. I had been planning on getting Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws this fall, but when I went to DT's site this morning to do a price check I was greeted with a banner advertising these new Goodyears. Still looking for anyone who has seen or experienced them firsthand, if anyone even has yet.

-K

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's odd, I ran Goodyear Wranglers's on my last truck, a 2001 Dakota, for the entire 17 years I drove it and they were fantastic on that truck, never gave me any problems and performed very well. Now I have a RAM 1500 and the same Goodyear tires, quite simply, suck. So I'm torn. I had been planning on getting Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws this fall, but when I went to DT's site this morning to do a price check I was greeted with a banner advertising these new Goodyears. Still looking for anyone who has seen or experienced them firsthand, if anyone even has yet.

-K

Just my opinion, but I believe there are better options than goodyear at the same price point. The wildpeak have great reviews on this forum.

laffs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Certainly looks interesting, nice to have more options in the 285/65R20 sizing.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Goodyear ain’t wort **** on full size trucks.
OP I recommend you look at Nitto Terra Grappler G2 A/T tires. 10 ply quiet smooth riding awesome traction

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wouldn't put a 10 ply on a 1500. That's just me though.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
^^ ?? ... What do you think everybody’s 35’s are ?

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Depends on your towing regularity too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW I had a set of Falken Rocky Mountains that were the same as Wildpeak but made exclusively for DT on a 2012 Titan and they were scary slick in the rain within 20k miles. I have since ran Cooper, Bfg and Nitto on various trucks and all seem better than the Falkens IMO.

jojotherider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Just wanted to post that I took the plunge and got these a few weeks ago on my 2009 1500. I got them in 275/65/20 to match my previous tires. Have seen a bit of rain in the greater Seattle area and they have done quite well. Considering the general grabber at3, but the discount tire guy offered these for a few bucks cheaper. Plus they have their 30 day guarantee where I could bring them back if I didn't like them and order the Generals.

Back to the driving. Previous tires were the Michelin LTX a/t2. There's an increase in road noise, but nothing to worry about. I can still have normal volume conversations. As mentioned, we've had a couple really rainy days and there was no issue. I was driving on i90 into Issaquah and a friend was driving his 4runner on older KO tires (not KO2). When we got to our destination, he was saying how crazy the hydroplaning was. I hadn't even noticed it.

I haven't done any offroading. Most I'll do is forest service roads during the summer shuttling mountain bikes. Some of these roads get pretty rocky. Maybe ill try a mellow trail if I can find one. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try them in the snow. I'm heading up to the mountains on Friday morning. Maybe I'll get lucky and find snow then.

I'm running them at 36psi as filled by discount tire. 35psi is what is on the side of the door. The TPMS light has been on. Initially because the driver side valve cores were shot. Once I got those fixed they've been at 36psi. Maybe a week and a half now. This evening the tpms light was off. So I'm not sure what is going on. I'll check psi in the morning again.

Overall I'm quite happy with them. I don't think I needed anything more aggressive. TBH, I wanted something that looked rugged even though the majority of the driving will be on the road. I do feel like it will be capable off-road though. Plenty of spacing in the side lugs to shed mud, dirt, and rocks. I'm not sure if I've taken an MPG hit. The first two tanks I was seeing 13.5mpg, then the last two tanks it was 12.5mpg. I have a feeling that the gas stations went to their winter mix if they still do that. Last winter I was generally around 12.5mpg and then for the summer it jumped up to 13.5mpg without me making any changes. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture. Here's one for now just to show I have them. Lol
20181106_064629.jpg

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just put these on my 2500. I don't notice any noise difference on mine versus the stock Transforce ATs.

So far I love them. As you mentioned, wet driving is great so far. And they look awesome. Everyone has their own opinion on tires, so I thought I would try the Ultraterrain ATs and form my own opinion. So far so good!

Reactions: kad

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Any updates on how these are doin

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any update of how they perform in snow? Did you get std or LT load tires?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
FWIW I had a set of Falken Rocky Mountains that were the same as Wildpeak but made exclusively for DT on a 2012 Titan and they were scary slick in the rain within 20k miles. I have since ran Cooper, Bfg and Nitto on various trucks and all seem better than the Falkens IMO.

For sure those Rocky Mountains and the early Wildpeaks had their problems. Mainly because they weren't siped all the way through the tread. They were so bad that Falken took them off the market and had to drill a hole in the sidewall to keep the scammers from reselling them. In fact, Falken has a warning on their web site to look for a filled sidewall hole if you suspect the tire as discontinued.

The current Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires are outstanding and are receiving excellent reviews. I have them and IMHO are better and cheaper than the other popular brands.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second the last part about the AT3Ws. I have them and am very happy with them coming from Nitto Terra Grapplers. They are way better than the Nittos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard nothing except good things about the Falken Wildpeaks. Might be my next tire.