Got my 4.56's installed !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man o man what a difference. Rolling 37's @ 75mph (gps) while turning 2100 rpm's with my foot barely touching the pedal. First, second and third will push you back in the seat. Huge jump going from 3.55's to 4.56's. Absolutely the best upgrade that i have ever done and honestly it should have been the very first one that i did after a lift and tires. She runs up through the gears now like a cup car leaving pit road. No more down shifting just for an overpass. I bought my gears 3 months before buying my lift and tires because i knew what was coming. It really helped with the money side of too. I know signing up for email's is a pain but sometimes you can catch a deal or a special that you normally would not see. Used PayPal pay in 4 and it really broke down the upfront cost of the gears. Then I started asking and actually going to local garages (shops if you are not from the south) and i would simply ask " who would you guys recommend to do a ring and pinion swap " And after about ten stops I got what I was looking for because they all dang neared recommended the same place. I went to that place and showed him my truck, my gears and my install kits. He gave me a price on what I had but informed me that I was missing one item. He explained that when you put 4.56 gears in a Chrysler 9.25 rear end the center pin must be milled in order to fit due to the thickness of the ring gear. I had no idea. And from what I understood that it only applied to a 4.56 gear because everything below that would accept the factory pin. If you are thinking of going this route Yukon gear makes a modified pin just for this purpose. Oh and when its in 4 low i dont know what is more harsh the launch or the deacceleration when you let off.

txhotrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has your mileage gotten any better or worse?
I have 35's and was thinking about swapping to a 3.90. or 4.10
Thanks

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has your mileage gotten any better or worse?
I have 35's and was thinking about swapping to a 3.90. or 4.10
Thanks
Brother I wouldn't dream of anything lower than a 4.56. Its like buying a boat and hanging a 100 hp motor on it when its rated for a 150. You will always wonder. As far as mileage I am matching the factory window sticker display with a whopping 13 in the city. Making the switch was absolutely the best thing I ever did. No lagging and when i get down on it that tach arm almost breaks off it jumps so fast. I am being goofy but man it revs up quick.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Brother I wouldn't dream of anything lower than a 4.56. Its like buying a boat and hanging a 100 hp motor on it when its rated for a 150. You will always wonder. As far as mileage I am matching the factory window sticker display with a whopping 13 in the city. Making the switch was absolutely the best thing I ever did. No lagging and when i get down on it that tach arm almost breaks off it jumps so fast. I am being goofy but man it revs up quick.
I would of gone 4.56s but the shop I got my gears done at said to go with the 4.88s and damn like you, the difference is huuuge lol ...

What gear brand did you go with ?

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used Richmond gears and Yukon master install kits. A 4.56 is as large of a gear that either the front 8.0 or the rear 9.25 can hold. I believe its the front 8.0 so that was my limit without a complete swap out. When I chirp that 37 shifting into 2nd gear i get a few looks. Now the real deal is in 4 low and put it in third gear holy cow will that sucker sling some mud in the air. I love that manual shift tranny.

JustMakingDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how did you do this? you had 3.55 stock so did I.

did you reuse your carrier??
tried installing today had carrier pinion clearance issues

Last edited:

JustMakingDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so I bought Richmond gears also from 3.55s to 4.56 I bought the cross pin also after installing and removing three times come to see that the the carrier would hit the pinion while spinning which carrier did you have ?
or use ? and did you use your stock shim?

Last edited:

JustMakingDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man o man what a difference. Rolling 37's @ 75mph (gps) while turning 2100 rpm's with my foot barely touching the pedal. First, second and third will push you back in the seat. Huge jump going from 3.55's to 4.56's. Absolutely the best upgrade that i have ever done and honestly it should have been the very first one that i did after a lift and tires. She runs up through the gears now like a cup car leaving pit road. No more down shifting just for an overpass. I bought my gears 3 months before buying my lift and tires because i knew what was coming. It really helped with the money side of too. I know signing up for email's is a pain but sometimes you can catch a deal or a special that you normally would not see. Used PayPal pay in 4 and it really broke down the upfront cost of the gears. Then I started asking and actually going to local garages (shops if you are not from the south) and i would simply ask " who would you guys recommend to do a ring and pinion swap " And after about ten stops I got what I was looking for because they all dang neared recommended the same place. I went to that place and showed him my truck, my gears and my install kits. He gave me a price on what I had but informed me that I was missing one item. He explained that when you put 4.56 gears in a Chrysler 9.25 rear end the center pin must be milled in order to fit due to the thickness of the ring gear. I had no idea. And from what I understood that it only applied to a 4.56 gear because everything below that would accept the factory pin. If you are thinking of going this route Yukon gear makes a modified pin just for this purpose. Oh and when its in 4 low i dont know what is more harsh the launch or the deacceleration when you let off.
did you resuse your stock carrier?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
did you resuse your stock carrier?
quote one the orignal posts to get tehir attenton.

WHen you got to the sites page, did you see the bright red number top right hand corner of teh pages header, letting you know i had quoted you?

Well, if you go back to their post, hit quote, then they will see the same thing when they next long on and probably answer you.'"P

OR

you cna left click their name and start a conversation witht them privately

good luck

JustMakingDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well sh$t I had some clearance issues with the carrier hitting the pinion at the two larger knuckle areas of the spicer 80754. lsd
what brand gears did you install? I just tried Richmond excels with clearance issues.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry for this being late, what year is your truck, is it a 1500,2500, or what? Have you done a VIN search to see exactly what it left the factory with and with what options.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

EXCEL from Richmond 9.25-Inch Rear Axle Ring and Pinion Gear Kit; 4.56 Gear Ratio(02-10 RAM 1500)​

Item R102172

Thats what I used. Zero issues

JustMakingDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

EXCEL from Richmond 9.25-Inch Rear Axle Ring and Pinion Gear Kit; 4.56 Gear Ratio(02-10 RAM 1500)​

Item R102172

Thats what I used. Zero issues
It looks like I may have to grind some of the rear housing to accept the gear. That’s the only thing I can find pertaining to the 06-08 range having maybe a slightly beefier rear housing and I have two headsets here CR925456
Richmond
And zig C9.25-456 standard gear set thinking maybe there was a difference in gears
It seams with a .024 shim set instead of .031 it fits and clears the carrier but the ring gear grinds into the housing in the rear most point

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 7

JustMakingDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a better view I’m fixing to grind it out so I can get the backlash within .06-.010 thousand

And are you sure I have 3.92s?
Hmm I couldn’t find a vin tag in the glove department and just assumed it was 3.55s guess I shouldn’t assume lol where is that info found?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 7

JustMakingDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you have
3.92 axle ratio

9.25" rear axle ring gear diameter according to your vin code.
Ok so I got the 4.56 gear installed in the rear this evening! ,
Well suited for 35’s kinda stinks I was looking to put 38-40s on it soon lol so that is a little bit of a bummer I was initially assuming I had 3.55s I don’t know why but I did all my math on previously having 3.55s but after everything I was mid install when we were talking earlier and wasn’t going back then. So I have a rear 4.56 gear!
Now next question how do I confirm for sure what front diff I have on the thing? I used the vin decode and saw the 3.92 ring size like you said. The from said like 205mm front axle I think?? But that isn’t an 8” or 9.25
From
My research it has a 9.25 front how do I tell? And will the same gear in rear go in front of so I have one already if not I need to return it and get another one any suggestions??

JustMakingDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes i reused my stock carrier.
So here is a picture of the tag on the front and yeah I’m a dingus it says 3.92 right on it . But is it an 8”ifs 9.25aam 9.25 Dana the vina say 205 so is that an 8” gear? For front? I need to install the 4.56 in the front next. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• 44A43D96-BE96-4C3B-AAAE-288B4635572E.jpeg
    44A43D96-BE96-4C3B-AAAE-288B4635572E.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all right according to the part number on that tag (P52114434AD) you have 8.25 front end