Got my new Gen5 Ram Longhorn-love it now-but wrong color!

Did you have success ordering the Ram Laramie Longhorn 2 tone option?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwilli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Gen5 Longhorn Crew Cab Long Box
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We recently took delivery of our new 2019 Gen5 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab truck. I (now) love it! No operational issues yet other than the learning curve to use all the new electronics/features compared to my 2014 Laramie. It took 12 weeks to get it but I guess that isn't bad in comparison to some of the delays I've heard about from others. The one big "*****" if you would, is that Chrysler did not honor the paint color option we had chosen and never bothered to notify the dealer/salesman about it. We had chosen the ivory pearl tri-coat with the two tone option (lower 1/4, wheel flares, bumpers painted with a contrasting metallic granite grey). When we went to proudly claim our vehicle it was just all ivory and then the ivory did not look like the paint chip in the brochure at all being much closer to the bright white they advertise. It took bringing another bright white truck right beside it to see the difference. The only thing that was color-contrasted were the wheels which had the granite metallic in segments. The bumpers were chrome instead of paint. We were a lot upset but since there was nothing else available in Canada of the chosen color and we needed the truck to travel south for the winter we could not reorder and had to take it. I called Chrysler customer service to see what was going on and complain! The young man "Nick" just handed out poorly thought out excuses like "the dealer/salesman ordered the wrong color" but that was proven bogus. Next he came up with "the color was not available with the options chosen" which was also proven not valid. Next he basically said "take it or leave it" at which point I told him that is not what I expected directly from Chrysler Customer service and got a little heated with him. He just hung up on me in the middle of what I was saying. I called back and talked to a young lady and I asked for a manager but was told I could not talk to a manager and that I would have to be reconnected to my customer service rep - Nick. Well I was not the least bit thrilled to go that route again but basically bit my tongue and went ahead with it. He said we were cut off with a call drop. I said then why did you not call me back? Total lies - everything! We were both on land lines not cell phones. Anyway, I finished what I was telling him about how I felt that Chrysler should have communicated that they were not able or willing to provide the two tone paint job (or did not want to include this no cost option any longer) or whatever the real reason was and that there should be some compensation for their mistake in taking my order on this MSRP $82,000 vehicle and then could not fulfill one of the most important customer considerations - the choice of color. Well, this went nowhere. Like talking to a wall! I think they hire a bunch of kids to answer calls and do nothing except provide lip service and lies! The only saving grace out of all of this is that the color, as it is, has grown on us and the truck is indeed spectacular otherwise. Too bad the Customer "Non-service" is just that ! How disappointing! We both agreed we will never order another vehicle from Fiat-Chrysler and if we were to consider buying one it would only be one that we could touch and see on the lot!

So if you're considering a new Ram - great choice, fantastic truck - but don't expect to get the two tone color shown in the brochure or perhaps any color if Chrysler decides to change it! And, as for Customer Service - NOT!

Any one else have a similar issue?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factory ordered and you didnt get what you ordered?

I wouldnt have accepted the truck and told them to order another one.

Still a nice truck though!

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The factory will go through changes during builds that do not let them offer certain options at different times due to supplier shortages or other problems. When I ordered my Ivory tri coat they could not supply the sport hood for it during the build. Then right after my truck arrived the dealer told me the only white truck they could now get was the tri coat because the bight white was not allowed to be ordered. Most basic work trucks come in white so they had to pay the extra $500 to have them in white.

OP
OP
gwilli

gwilli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factory ordered and you didnt get what you ordered?

I wouldnt have accepted the truck and told them to order another one.

Still a nice truck though!
We considered that but had ordered parts specifically to attach 5th wheel hitch brackets/bars in the bed of this new truck and would have been out the $500+ already expended on these parts. Also, we were already locked into travel arrangements with our trailer so needed the truck. The parts would not have fit a GM or Ford and there were no other 2019's out there of the color we wanted only one other Longhorn with the 3.92 axle for towing and 6'-2" longer bed for turning room with the 5th wheel trailer attached. And it was all red vs. the all white/ivory so we just stuck with what they shoved down our throats. The dealer through all this was awesome - checking and calling to find another truck. They actually found one in Quebec exactly as we had ordered ours except it had a sunroof which we would have paid the extra for just to get it plus pay for transport to our dealer - but the Quebec dealer would not release it anyway!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We considered that but had ordered parts specifically to attach 5th wheel hitch brackets/bars in the bed of this new truck and would have been out the $500+ already expended on these parts. Also, we were already locked into travel arrangements with our trailer so needed the truck. The parts would not have fit a GM or Ford and there were no other 2019's out there of the color we wanted only one other Longhorn with the 3.92 axle for towing and 6'-2" longer bed for turning room with the 5th wheel trailer attached. And it was all red vs. the all white/ivory so we just stuck with what they shoved down our throats. The dealer through all this was awesome - checking and calling to find another truck. They actually found one in Quebec exactly as we had ordered ours except it had a sunroof which we would have paid the extra for just to get it plus pay for transport to our dealer - but the Quebec dealer would not release it anyway!

I meant order another RAM :) But if time was essential that wouldnt matter anyway.

OP
OP
gwilli

gwilli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I meant order another RAM :) But if time was essential that wouldnt matter anyway.
Well, yes, but only if the color was reintroduced but who would know if that could happen since Chrysler was not communicating this to the dealer. I do know that when we tried to duplicate the order at the dealer to see what was going on that the option was no longer there to select. When we originally ordered the option was there but that as we know went nowhere. To reorder would not have accomplished anything as there wasn't really another color option in an all one monotone color that we wanted. Our last two Rams were Red and Granite respectfully and we did not want black, blue, or brown - the other choices! So we just stuck with the ivory. We could have kept our granite color 2014 Laramie but we really wanted a new truck to go south in and still preferred the Ram over the GM/Ford choices. The 2014 was just about over it's 100,000 powertrain warranty so that was a factor too in going for a new truck though the 2014 was absolutely performance perfect! I love the new truck but believe me I'm second guessing about giving up a perfectly good vehicle to now have monthly payments and having to take Chrysler's "take it or leave it" attitude.

They used to say that "you could order a Model-T any color you wanted as long as it was black!" but even that was not true as they really did come in different colors. If you ever get to Detroit, visit the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant Museum ( https://www.fordpiquetteplant.org/ ) where they have a whole host of Model A's through T's and others - a very interesting guided tour of automotive history that many are not aware of! This is different from "The Henry Ford" Greenfield Village museum/exhibits which is in Dearborn.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Really sorry to hear about the lack of customer service, but kind of expect that sadly. For my second 2019 I kept it as basic as possible as I really did not want to have to deal with CS, yet here I am dealing with them anyways lol..

OP
OP
gwilli

gwilli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yike, on your second 2019 and problems? Isn't that like 2 strikes? Are you going to give them another pitch?

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oh no the second one is solely rear seat related and I’m tossing whatever back there as it’s not my seat lol. Outside of that I love what this one affords me which is a truck that suits my family’s needs. :)

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
At a price of 82K, If I had ordered a truck a specific color and it showed up anything but I would be giving the dealer and Chrysler 2 options....

1) Do as you please with the current truck while you get me the truck I ordered here.

2) Keep your truck that isn't the color I ordered, and I'll find someone that can get me the truck.

Going through the hassle of custom ordering every last detail I'd be beyond pissed if it showed up the wrong color. It simply isn't what you agreed to pay for.

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
We recently took delivery of our new 2019 Gen5 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab truck. I (now) love it! No operational issues yet other than the learning curve to use all the new electronics/features compared to my 2014 Laramie. It took 12 weeks to get it but I guess that isn't bad in comparison to some of the delays I've heard about from others. The one big "*****" if you would, is that Chrysler did not honor the paint color option we had chosen and never bothered to notify the dealer/salesman about it. We had chosen the ivory pearl tri-coat with the two tone option (lower 1/4, wheel flares, bumpers painted with a contrasting metallic granite grey). When we went to proudly claim our vehicle it was just all ivory and then the ivory did not look like the paint chip in the brochure at all being much closer to the bright white they advertise. It took bringing another bright white truck right beside it to see the difference. The only thing that was color-contrasted were the wheels which had the granite metallic in segments. The bumpers were chrome instead of paint. We were a lot upset but since there was nothing else available in Canada of the chosen color and we needed the truck to travel south for the winter we could not reorder and had to take it. I called Chrysler customer service to see what was going on and complain! The young man "Nick" just handed out poorly thought out excuses like "the dealer/salesman ordered the wrong color" but that was proven bogus. Next he came up with "the color was not available with the options chosen" which was also proven not valid. Next he basically said "take it or leave it" at which point I told him that is not what I expected directly from Chrysler Customer service and got a little heated with him. He just hung up on me in the middle of what I was saying. I called back and talked to a young lady and I asked for a manager but was told I could not talk to a manager and that I would have to be reconnected to my customer service rep - Nick. Well I was not the least bit thrilled to go that route again but basically bit my tongue and went ahead with it. He said we were cut off with a call drop. I said then why did you not call me back? Total lies - everything! We were both on land lines not cell phones. Anyway, I finished what I was telling him about how I felt that Chrysler should have communicated that they were not able or willing to provide the two tone paint job (or did not want to include this no cost option any longer) or whatever the real reason was and that there should be some compensation for their mistake in taking my order on this MSRP $82,000 vehicle and then could not fulfill one of the most important customer considerations - the choice of color. Well, this went nowhere. Like talking to a wall! I think they hire a bunch of kids to answer calls and do nothing except provide lip service and lies! The only saving grace out of all of this is that the color, as it is, has grown on us and the truck is indeed spectacular otherwise. Too bad the Customer "Non-service" is just that ! How disappointing! We both agreed we will never order another vehicle from Fiat-Chrysler and if we were to consider buying one it would only be one that we could touch and see on the lot!

So if you're considering a new Ram - great choice, fantastic truck - but don't expect to get the two tone color shown in the brochure or perhaps any color if Chrysler decides to change it! And, as for Customer Service - NOT!

Any one else have a similar issue?

Wow! Talk about a full paragraph! Welcome to the forum!

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have not accepted the truck if it wasn't the color I wanted, just saying. I would have not gotten my truck if it wasn't blue. I would have just kept what I had. And I only spent 22k on my truck, not 80k.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah even if it only cost a $1 I wouldn’t have accepted it if you weren’t completely happy with the color, let alone 80k but I guess what’s done is done now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The question I have is does anybody have a 2 tone ram. I like the 2 tone, but haven't seen it on a 5th gen to my recollection.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The question I have is does anybody have a 2 tone ram. I like the 2 tone, but haven't seen it on a 5th gen to my recollection.
They are out there. Haven't seen a whole lot of them but they do have the two tone.

OP
OP
gwilli

gwilli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah even if it only cost a $1 I wouldn’t have accepted it if you weren’t completely happy with the color, let alone 80k but I guess what’s done is done now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well let me first say that I bought my truck in Canada so the MSRP's are quite a bit higher there. Welcome to Canada! Further, after cash back, and my wife's niece's Chrysler discount, and the trade in for my 2014 it was a "bit" less. As for the color mess up you guys are feeling the same as I did. If I did not want the new truck and all its amazing features, and had not invested in ordering the 5th wheel hitch bars and frame clips designed specific for this truck I would have let it go too, and told them right where to park it! I did truly love my 2014 Ram and could have easily been just as happy to keep it but you know, once you've got that new truck bug and waited 12 weeks impatiently for it to arrive it's hard to walk away from it. I feel reassured from the comments in that my feelings were justified. Thanks!

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't blame you for being upset, but I see your having to get one "right now". To be honest, I've seen the two tone paint on the 2019 model and I don't think it looks that good, at least not as striking as on the 4th gen. New body style looks much better to me in a solid color. Besides, now that you have it, if you ever decide you really miss the 2 tone paint scheme, you could have a body shop do it exactly how you want it. Enjoy!

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't blame you for being upset, but I see your having to get one "right now". To be honest, I've seen the two tone paint on the 2019 model and I don't think it looks that good, at least not as striking as on the 4th gen. New body style looks much better to me in a solid color. Besides, now that you have it, if you ever decide you really miss the 2 tone paint scheme, you could have a body shop do it exactly how you want it. Enjoy!

I have seen a couple 2 tones on dealer lots. I too think it does not look good on this body style.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I looked around and did see a 2 tone 5th gen. I think it would look good if it wasn't so dark. The old white and grey or tan looked good, but they were lighter and didn't contrast as much. Now it looks like white and a dark brown. Too much for my taste.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I definitely would have kept the 2014 until they coughed up the truck you ordered