Got side swiped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was making my way up a left hand turn lane and someone decided to turn right into me. Fairly low speed, but of course they didn't have insurance and for the damage I didn't feel like watching my premium go up. The door is going to buff out, but the runner board is toast.

tkbhhxs.jpg Abgs0v5.jpg

OP
OP
Jeremy Fry

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh and this is literally the first time I've had any damage to a vehicle in like 10 years. At least I own this one instead of a lease.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If the other driver was ticketed there is the ability to recover up to $1000. I'd probably consider small claims if they didn't cough up for the repairs. I know, they don't have any money. IIWM, my time and money are worth a judgement even if I can't collect, they may win the lottery or it will follow them to remind them to be a bit more respectful of others property.

https://www.michiganautolaw.com/blog/2015/03/02/how-to-sue-for-a-car-accident-in-michigan/

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
They didn’t offer to pay for new steps ?

You are required to have insurance in Ohio, or you goin to jail ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are required to have insurance in Michigan also, but in real life, they aren't about to fill the jails with these cases. I'll bet Ohio does much the same thing. A fine and probation.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You are required to have insurance in Michigan also, but in real life, they aren't about to fill the jails with these cases. I'll bet Ohio does much the same thing. A fine and probation.

Probably ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WoW! .......glad it wasn't any worse & glad your ok.......on the flip side...... now you have an excuse to get new runnin boards or try out the look of no boards

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I hate this UM BS in the US. The fines are so low and the penalties so weak it is cheaper to not have insurance. Many years ago when my Aunt was in AU their car insurance laws worked like this; your registration sticker was good for as long as you had insurance either 6 months or 1 year. Once the insurance company issued you a policy they were obligated to provide coverage for the stated term and limits even if you didn't pay the full premium amount. Up to them if they want to let you pay in installments or pay full amount up front. Any vehicle found on the road with an expired sticker was immediately impounded. This was a primary offense so the cops could pull you over for it. The owner could not retrieve the car from impound until they showed up with a valid sticker / insurance policy. Very few uninsured vehicles on the road under that system.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes - and usually the defendant gets a free attorney (legal aid) - and then the judge will waive the fine and court costs, as the bum is considered indigent.

If they are ordered to pay restitution, they are usually required to pay a pittance each month. But if they don’t pay, it is a probation violation - and they get cited to court and don’t show up again. A revolving door.

Then, the defendant can go out and buy some more ******, get a tattoo, buy some beer and cigarettes, and get back into their uninsured vehicle.

Uninsured motorists should be imprisoned and their vehicle seized and crushed.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
here in the state of Washington insurance is also the law but is no teeth in it. my nephew several years ago was hit by an uninsured driver, all they got was a no insurance ticket and were let go, my nephew got stiffed for the damage on his car.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Even with insurance it's a joke.
Decades ago I was hit head on by a guy who fell asleep at the wheel. He was cited for that and inattentive driving (after the cops stopped me pounding on him).
We both had Allstate, good hands right?
Allstate's response: we don't pay claims against ourselves.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Even with insurance it's a joke.
Decades ago I was hit head on by a guy who fell asleep at the wheel. He was cited for that and inattentive driving (after the cops stopped me pounding on him).
We both had Allstate, good hands right?
Allstate's response: we don't pay claims against ourselves.
3 letters: NJM ( New Jersey Manufacturers). Great insurance company.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know, been with them over 40 years now.
Dividend checks twice a year FTW!

OP
OP
Jeremy Fry

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe I'm a chump, but it was a women and her 3 kids. They didn't have insurance and judging by their car they weren't doing to well financially. I didn't really see a reason to put a big ticket and burden on them if I wasn't going to realistically save anything getting my truck fixed.

OP
OP
Jeremy Fry

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WoW! .......glad it wasn't any worse & glad your ok.......on the flip side...... now you have an excuse to get new runnin boards or try out the look of no boards
Once when traveling for work I picked up a 1500 without runner boards as my rental. I damn near fell on my face every time I went to get out of that truck. Getting older now, don't know that I want to see what happens if I take the runners off :D

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once when traveling for work I picked up a 1500 without runner boards as my rental. I damn near fell on my face every time I went to get out of that truck. Getting older now, don't know that I want to see what happens if I take the runners off :D

Lol!!!!......yep definitely understand :favorites13:

Sheapdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Michigan we also have Under/Uninsured liability coverage. I would run it by your agent to see if they think it would increase your premiums any. Would hurt.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In South Carolina you have to have insurance to register your vehicle---And the insurance companies are required by law to report when a vehicles' coverage lapses.. The will not renew your registration if you have let it lapse and in some cases come and get your plate.