Grill Guards for new gen PW's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After searching, I did not find a thread that covers the newest generation PW's.

I spent some time and have been in contact (or tried to) with half a dozen or more manufactures of bumpers. I was looking for a full replacement bumper compatible with the PW's winch that also included a full grill guard. My interest was in animal strikes mostly and the protection they offer. In the end, the only manufacture I could find was Expedition One and it is very costly. I have resigned that I simply cannot spend $3k on a bumper this year and maybe not next, so I started looking at the alternative: A bolt on style grill guard.

In my Land Cruiser days, we called them 'damage multipliers' and know if you install a cheap version with weak mounting brackets, it can introduce more problems in an animal strike than not having one at all. On my full size Bronco back in the day, I had a Ranch Hand bolt on grill guard and it was pretty darn stout. I don't know if it would have held up to a 100lb deer strike but it handled brush like a champ. Those critters are on the roads in the Texas hill country where I am from, and I have hit one before at night.

Assuming it is a quality brand and actually fits the new generation PW's, do you think a grill guard is a good decision or do you think even the quality units will still cause more damage than not having one? With regards to pushing brush the yes, it would be very helpful, but in an animal strike, I am not sure.

Here is the unit I have been considering and have sent them an email to confirm fitment with the PW's different bumper.

https://www.ranchhand.com/19-21-ram-2500-3500-legend-grille-guard-ggd191bl1.html

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
OP
OP
General Clortho
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hit a deer 3 days after bringing mine home.
Westin HDX.
View attachment 250310
The dent next to my license plate was the only damage...
But I agree- a full bumper/guard unit is better.

That is a great looking unit, and thank you for the input. I see that you loose your tow hooks, but I don't suppose you really need them with our winches.

ConsecVINs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ranch hand with the camera opening.

Attachments

• RHcameragrillguard.jpg
    RHcameragrillguard.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 51

Brandonian85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hit a deer 3 days after bringing mine home.
Westin HDX.
View attachment 250310
The dent next to my license plate was the only damage...
But I agree- a full bumper/guard unit is better.
I love that, wonder why Westin's website says it excludes PW models? Did you have to make any modifications to install? I had one of these on my Duramax and I want one on my PW for sure.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yes, PWs winch is in the way.
Fortunately, I had the dealership install it.
They had to fabricate lower mounting brackets for it to make room for the winch.
Didn't even charge me extra for the hassle.

Brandonian85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, PWs winch is in the way.
Fortunately, I had the dealership install it.
They had to fabricate lower mounting brackets for it to make room for the winch.
Didn't even charge me extra for the hassle.
When you say the winch was in the way, do you mean the winch was in the way of the supplied brackets?