Guage cluster back light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill8700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all! Has anyone who did the premium cluster upgrade in a gen 4 experience the back light on the lcd display get bright and dim until it reaches a certain temperature or maybe gain enough voltage over time to stay on the daytime brightness, it seems the colder it is the more it does it, if the headlights are turned on by the switch it works fine, it only acts up when on auto, my truck is a 2018 Express with a 5.7, the guage cluster came from a 2015 Power wagon, from what I’ve read it’s just plug and play! Looking if anyone could tell me whether it’s a bad cluster, something different in the auto dim sensor that doesn’t match up with this specific year cluster or basically whether it could be fixed or not! Thanks!

Last edited:

UncleTone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Having a similar issue as well. Would like to hear a few suggestions.....

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Same here. 2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn. The LCD panel started a slow bright/dim cycle which has gotten progressively worse. The temperature stabilization seems to be correct, but mine settles at the dim point. Also, my oil pressure gauge bottomed out and there is a very faint clicking in the panel somewhere. The oil gauge twitches at the same rate as the clicking. Don’t know if these are related.
I‘ve done a ton of reading, watching YouTube videos, etc. Some folks say loose fuses, some say low voltage to the panel, some say the 7’ LCD panel is faulty, and there are lots of other theories. What I haven’t found is anyone that has a solid fix. You can buy a 7’ LCD panel on e-bay but good luck getting the instrument cluster apart (I removed it (easy) but tried and failed to disassemble it). You can buy a used instrument cluster on e-bay, $300-600, but you have to get the milage programmed by someone (unless you have alfa-ODB). Even one seller will program the correct mileage for you. However, you just might buy another problem cluster. You can also send it to “Circuit Board Mechanics” who will repair it for $460 including shipping, and guarantee it for one year. But what if the problem is external to the actual cluster? There goes $460. No good solutions, yet. Hopefully someone will see this and respond. BTW there are other threads here regarding the same problem.

denfireguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes this a common EVIC issue. It happened to my 2014. I am in the process of changing out the cluster. I will let you know what happens.