Had a blowout.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miguelherrera4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On my way to logandale earlier with my family going about 80 barely leaving vegas on the 215 I hear a loud explosion and feel the back end weaving a bit instantly recognize it as a flat I was able to safely exit to the side of the road but man was it nerve racking with so many semis around. And the wind gust of about 30mph today. Anyways I recently went to stock wheels and tires and regret it as I now know these tires are trash. I'll be putting my 35" nittos and XD wheels back on asap. a2cbc722e675e132f8552361a2335656.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Scary, especially when the family is in the truck.

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same thing happen to me in my old Durango, rear tire blew and the rubber pieces hit and tore off parts of the wheel well and fender, I had my dog in the back seat too, I’m pretty sure he peed himself, or maybe that was me...

OP
OP
miguelherrera4

miguelherrera4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Very scary. I have a 5 month old that was going to his first rodeo [emoji30] im just glad it wasnt worse. No worries slapped the spare on I had plenty of tools in the truck as just in case.. that made it pretty easy...i.e. impact gun etc .. but I think my wife forgot about my other wheels n tires so she gave me the thumbs up to buy new tires ! Lol so I'll be grabbing some 35s for the stocks.. thinking ridge grapps.ko2 or maybe general red labels idk ...but I didnt get a budget so ima have fun with it lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry about your blowout. Glad everyone is OK. You are correct--those Goodyears are junk!!!!!!! Mine had less than 5 miles on them before I got rid of them.
Jay

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the stock Goodyears for about 2.5 years and 25,000 miles. They were worn out. I hated them, wet traction was absolutely awful. I noticed mine started developing a crack across the tread, just like yours. Luckily I caught it before I had a blowout.

Replaced all 4 with Pathfinder A/Ts a couple months ago. Love them so far.

OP
OP
miguelherrera4

miguelherrera4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the stock Goodyears for about 2.5 years and 25,000 miles. They were worn out. I hated them, wet traction was absolutely awful. I noticed mine started developing a crack across the tread, just like yours. Luckily I caught it before I had a blowout.

Replaced all 4 with Pathfinder A/Ts a couple months ago. Love them so far.
What bugs me is I spent all morning checking the truck to make sure all is good. Checked all four tires and there were no signs of any sort of damage or anything that would show one was bad. I brought extra things just to be on the safe side since I have a baby now which I'm really glad I did. Even checked my spares pressure which I never do which was really low so I'm glad I did. But the tire blew without any signs of it being bad or close to the end of its life. And that I don't like. I get all brands have lemons and this can happen with any tire but when literally most everyone complains about reliability then you know the manufacturer is just going with the cheapest option possible .

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What bugs me is I spent all morning checking the truck to make sure all is good. Checked all four tires and there were no signs of any sort of damage or anything that would show one was bad.

Perhaps there was a piece of debris on the road that caused it?

I get all brands have lemons and this can happen with any tire but when literally most everyone complains about reliability then you know the manufacturer is just going with the cheapest option possible.

What gets me is that the '01 Dakota that I owned before my RAM came with Goodyear SRA tires from the factory and I ran the same tire on it for the entire 16 years I owned it. They were good tires on that truck. They got good traction, wet, dry, snow, you name it. My only complaint was that the mileage didn't hold up to the 50,000 mile rating. I went through 4 sets in those years (it would have only been three if I hadn't broken a spring shackle on a 500 mile trip and caused the tires to wear oddly). The last set only had 10,000 miles on them when I sold it. My wife's Jeep Liberty is running them as well, no issues there either. Yet on our RAMs the same tires seem like junk, no wet traction, even poorer lifespan, reliability issues. I get it it that the RAM is a heavier vehicle, but the Dakota took a 15" tire, the Jeep a 16", my RAM a 20". I would expect the larger tire to have more material and be equally capable but I guess the design that was good at 15"/16" just doesn't scale up well.

-K

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Glad to hear everyone is alright. BADYEARS strike again.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wish Goodyear’s were good being they are an American company but they suck. They ride like crap and wear even worse. They have never made a tire I have liked. I will never buy another even I bought a new truck I would make them swap them as part of the deal out of sheer spite. I hate Goodyear period.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish Goodyear’s were good being they are an American company but they suck. They ride like crap and wear even worse. They have never made a tire I have liked. I will never buy another even I bought a new truck I would make them swap them as part of the deal out of sheer spite. I hate Goodyear period.

Goodyear MTR's... And I really liked my All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar's.

Last edited:

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
definition of junk - goodyear. 3 blowouts, 2 sets 1/2 the mileage.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
OUCH! Nice save! I recently made a long road trip too on my OEM tires. I hit 30k miles when I got back home but my tires still had about 2mm more tread than yours. I installed new rubber last week. Not sure if you realize it but your tires are worn down to the indicators. Granted, the OEM tires suck regardless. I wouldn't tempt fate with any 4 ply tire worn that close to the indicators.

Last edited:

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Damn good to know, u held her together! Count your blessings!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
miguelherrera4

miguelherrera4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Getting new tires this week but until then my buddy gave me his half life toyo mts. They're in really good shapebaa32b9e023752998d3c011a85476245.jpg

plainsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
As soon as I got my 2015 Laramie 1500 with the Goodyears I got $50 a tire for a trade to install Michelin LTX MS/2. Just went to my second set due to mileage. They have a slight upgrade on the new issue. Now called the Defender LTX MS/2. Ran these tires in CO mtns. year around, towed a boat, etc. Best tires IMO for all season. Will pay whatever as those 4 small patches are the only thing between me and disaster.