Had water pump recall done... Now a problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So like the title says. Had my water pump recall done on my 2016 cummins about 2 weeks ago.... Got it home and checked the coolant level in the puke tank so I could keep an eye on it for if something was leaking. All has been fine and have put on about 700 miles or so since it was completed, heater/defrosters have been used also, now last night at 3am I go out to my truck to go home (had remote started it a few minutes prior to at least put some heat into the motor before driving) and soon as I open the door in greeted to the low coolant light on in the evic system... Wtf, popped the hood and checked before I left the parking lot at work (just had the hood open the day before to check the coolant and make sure it hadn't dropped, which it hasn't) on the way home it kept turning on and off till the motor got warmed up (obviously I know coolant expands) so... What gives, air lock???? The heat works great. And the water temp runs normal as it has for the past 29500 miles.... Where is the coolant sensor on these trucks? The resi is down from where it was before the pump (about an inch or so below the middle of the resi, if it is air lock, how do you purge the system on these (I really don't have time to get to the dealer for him to have my truck when I don't have a 2nd ride. And have a lot of stuff going on with cancer treatments for my father

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There was likely an air bubble after the water pump replacement. It’s really hard to get all the air out especially if they didn’t vacuum fill the system. Probably just needs to be topped up.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
There was likely an air bubble after the water pump replacement. It’s really hard to get all the air out especially if they didn’t vacuum fill the system. Probably just needs to be topped up.

I topped it off last night after it cooled off, took just under a half gallon to fill it to the max line, I also blasted the heat on full on the way home from work just to see if it would work any more air out of the system, hopefully it's just an air pocket, I really don't have time now to run around to the dealer [emoji23]

myspacethirdbase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ditto here, still leaking , a clear fluid drips out when engine is on. The puddles are getting consistently larger, yesterday as big as diameter of a watermelon. It is NOT AC condensation or Heater condensation. I had neither on. Temp was 51 degrees, Lancaster, Calif. I took it back to dealership 1-16-19 and they state this is normal. I have pics and video.
Help...they say their Tech of 28 years states...all normal. I disagree, not my first pick-up and why compare pickles. I grew up with trucks on the farm since 1970's and I'm 61...and this is not normal. Help....

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
To update my original post, since the low coolant level notification, and filling it up the following day, haven’t had anymore issues and level has stayed in the same spot, mine musta been an air pocket in the cooling system

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ditto here, still leaking , a clear fluid drips out when engine is on. The puddles are getting consistently larger, yesterday as big as diameter of a watermelon. It is NOT AC condensation or Heater condensation. I had neither on. Temp was 51 degrees, Lancaster, Calif. I took it back to dealership 1-16-19 and they state this is normal. I have pics and video.
Help...they say their Tech of 28 years states...all normal. I disagree, not my first pick-up and why compare pickles. I grew up with trucks on the farm since 1970's and I'm 61...and this is not normal. Help....

If it’s a clear fluid it’s not coolant. Can you see where abouts it’s dripping from? Post the video here.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had the same issue only X2, both time adding coolant fixed the problem. Dumb thing is it never went low before the did the water pump replacement, only after.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
After my pump replacement, no leaks were seen, but the truck smelled like anti-freeze for weeks. I even washed out the engine bay/ radiator area quite vigorously with the hose. Still stunk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007