Drag link recall performed without notice - now steering wheel misaligned!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 2020 2500 used with 44K miles from a dealer. The steering wheel has always been slightly off-center, maybe 11 o'clock. Bothers the heck out of me every time I drive it but did not know what the cause was. I will look into this further.
You just simply loosen the jam nuts on the drag link, adjust the wheel straight, then retighten. However, that is not so easy to do if the nuts have been welded in place.

Bill Wilkison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought my Ram 2500 new, and knew about the drag link issue when I bought it. It's only been to the dealer twice.Both times were for oil changes during the first year. I couldn't pass up the deal. Each time they asked if I wanted the drag link done, as per the recall. I told them under no circumstances were they to weld anything. When I got it home after purchasing it, I got under it and checked it. Sure enough, both jam nuts were loose. I backed them off and applied some lock tite, and torqued them. They havent budged. There's no reason they can't fix the problem correctly at this point. The covid excuse is getting old.

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
I bought my 2017 Ram 2500 2017. When I went to have an alignment, the dealership said they couldn't do it without having the drag link replaced because the recall fix was to weld it which was done before I purchased it. They never mentioned it to me prior to my purchase. It cost me quite a bit of money to replace the drag link in addition to much frustration. It is such an unfair recall fix that puts the burden of the cost of the repair on the owner and not the manufacturer. I was unable to successfully get reimbursed for the fix. Bad business.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I didn't pay anything to have the drag link replaced on my 18 2500. Sorry you got stuck with the bill for yours.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I bought my 2017 Ram 2500 2017. When I went to have an alignment, the dealership said they couldn't do it without having the drag link replaced because the recall fix was to weld it which was done before I purchased it. They never mentioned it to me prior to my purchase. It cost me quite a bit of money to replace the drag link in addition to much frustration. It is such an unfair recall fix that puts the burden of the cost of the repair on the owner and not the manufacturer. I was unable to successfully get reimbursed for the fix. Bad business.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this. Please send our team a PM with your VIN, we'd like to look further into this for you.

William
Ram Cares

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I really thought that this "repair" was long gone, they have been replacing the drag links now for several years and for a dealership to perform the old original "weld and wait" is ridicules. I suggest you first contact RAM CARES and get a new drag link coming, then call the Service Manager at the dealership that did the work and ask them how they thought they could do anything to your truck without your permission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Well some of you guys are going to love this. The attachments below is what I received TODAY! Mind you the dealer did mine before they let me take it off the lot back in October of 2019.
Looks like they still stand by their actions.
20231003_200256.jpg

20231003_200229.jpg

20231003_200320.jpg

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well some of you guys are going to love this. The attachments below is what I received TODAY! Mind you the dealer did mine before they let me take it off the lot back in October of 2019.
View attachment 529527

View attachment 529528

View attachment 529529
Just got mine in the mail today. Can't wait to see if the dealership will address the steering wheel being 15 ish degrees to the left of center to drive straight. Wasn't an issue until they welded the drag link and then told me about it afterwards.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
View attachment 529527

View attachment 529528

View attachment 529529
I was wondering if this was going to be added to the thread. Lol. I just got mine yesterday. Glad they got a cute little sticker to put on the drag link drawing attention to their screw up. If they just would have put all this sticker money to a new drag link, we'd all have the new part. I just bought the updated drag link.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
What years trucks does this involve?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I've always told the dealerships I go to you are to do NO recalls of any sort without my permission and you are not to flash any computer in my truck with any updates. Theyve always pushed but have always listened. My bcm is modified slot with alfaobd and my 1500 still has the dial shifter that won't lock the e brake if the door is open while in gear.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat