Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mutdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
First time rebuilding an engine and here's my dilemma: the connecting rod bolt (6508811AA) for my 4.7 (2010 Ram 1500) is discontinued, and finding spare stock out in the wild is proving difficult. According to the manual, these must not be re-used as they are torque-to-yield. My full rebuild is under a time crunch, and I'm looking for a bit of a sanity check here. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find these or a suitable substitute? (No luck at Rock Auto, Summit, ARP, or Jegs) OR...can anyone put my mind at ease about re-using the existing ones? Maybe with some sort of measurement or other go/no-go check? (this is the closed-hole style, so a stretch gauge can't be used.)

My truck is completely stock, does not do a crazy amount of towing, and is (was) my daily driver. With all the money, time, and effort I've put into prepping this rebuild, I'm really hoping for a miracle here. Aside from replacing connecting rods (which will put me more over budget than I already am), what else can I do? Please help!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
How many of these particular bolts do you need ?

I would call some one like an Engine Rebuilder
This one ships from 10 warehouses

888-968-5714

POWERTRAIN PRODUCTS INC

520 Thompson Creek Rd.Stevensville, MD 21666

ask them if they, or if they know of another possible source
that you might be able to purchase these bolts from

( the reason they tell you not to reuse those bolts, is because they have been Torqued once, therefore those bolts are stretched.
trying to Retorque them, could cause them to break )

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First time rebuilding an engine and here's my dilemma: the connecting rod bolt (6508811AA) for my 4.7 (2010 Ram 1500) is discontinued, and finding spare stock out in the wild is proving difficult. According to the manual, these must not be re-used as they are torque-to-yield. My full rebuild is under a time crunch, and I'm looking for a bit of a sanity check here. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find these or a suitable substitute? (No luck at Rock Auto, Summit, ARP, or Jegs) OR...can anyone put my mind at ease about re-using the existing ones? Maybe with some sort of measurement or other go/no-go check? (this is the closed-hole style, so a stretch gauge can't be used.)

My truck is completely stock, does not do a crazy amount of towing, and is (was) my daily driver. With all the money, time, and effort I've put into prepping this rebuild, I'm really hoping for a miracle here. Aside from replacing connecting rods (which will put me more over budget than I already am), what else can I do? Please help!

Have you had a CDJR part’s Department check their nationwide part’s locator to determine if any dealers have the NOS / discontinued part in stock?

OP
OP
M

mutdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Have you had a CDJR part’s Department check their nationwide part’s locator to determine if any dealers have the NOS / discontinued part in stock?
My local CDJR parts department checked their system when I called them earlier today. Not sure if their check encompasses the entire network, but I assume so. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call a few other dealerships to see what they say, and to aske that question specifically about checking nationwide. Thanks!

OP
OP
M

mutdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I would call some one like an Engine Rebuilder
This one ships from 10 warehouses

888-968-5714

POWERTRAIN PRODUCTS INC

520 Thompson Creek Rd.Stevensville, MD 21666

ask them if they, or if they know of another possible source
that you might be able to purchase these bolts from
Just called Powertrain Products, and while they did confirm they use aftermarket CR bolts in their remans, he wouldn't tell me where they get them from and wouldn't sell me any. The search continues...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would be calling a machine shop or two near you, one that does engine work.
Let them know that you are coming up empty on your search, offer to bribe them.

If you have a Fastenal store in your area, take one of the old bolts with you.

They have a big catalog or two of hardware

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked if Arp has an equivalent? I’ve called them before for my performance builds and they’ve had pretty much everything.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat