Hardwire GPS/Dash Cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRickyRam85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I'd like to hardwire my GPS/Dash Cam to eliminate the wire running down my dash to the cigarette lighter. I'd like to have it hot with the switch so I don't have to turn it on/off every time. Thinking about drilling a hole down through the RAM tray above the radio at center dash for the cord. Any suggestions on where to run it or anyone see any problems I might run into? Thanks in advance!

CRickyRam85

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That is where I'm going to wire mine, there are 2 bigger access holes under the RAM tray in the actual bezel to run the wire through. I have a Bayou Goats mount on the tray so it will be a perfect setup. I bought an extra mat so if I want to remove the mount and cover the wire hole later, nobody will ever know. What are you going to use for the GPS / dash cam?

http://www.bayougoatmounts.com/single-disk-for-the--2013-2018-ram-truck.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRickyRam85

CRickyRam85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is where I'm going to wire mine, there are 2 bigger access holes under the RAM tray in the actual bezel to run the wire through. I have a Bayou Goats mount on the tray so it will be a perfect setup. I bought an extra mat so if I want to remove the mount and cover the wire hole later, nobody will ever know. What are you going yo use for the GPS / dash cam?

I have a Magellan RoadMate 6230. I currently have it mounted on the windshield so the camera faces straight out and covers the front of the truck equally. I thought about splicing into the wires for the cigarette lighter to the bottom left of the A/C controls. Any ideas?

OP
OP
CRickyRam85

CRickyRam85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is where I'm going to wire mine, there are 2 bigger access holes under the RAM tray in the actual bezel to run the wire through. I have a Bayou Goats mount on the tray so it will be a perfect setup. I bought an extra mat so if I want to remove the mount and cover the wire hole later, nobody will ever know. What are you going yo use for the GPS / dash cam?

Oohhh! I see what the mount accomplishes now. That'd be a clean look too. I just might have to go that route.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a Magellan RoadMate 6230. I currently have it mounted on the windshield so the camera faces straight out and covers the front of the truck equally. I thought about splicing into the wires for the cigarette lighter to the bottom left of the A/C controls. Any ideas?

That is the exact place to do your wiring and you will probably want to use a switch so if there's a time when you're driving and want to turn it off you can, otherwise you'll have to unplug it. BTW in hindsight, I think I might have rather have had purchased the triple long one just incase I wanted to add a second device. I have the single and it looks OK, the double doesn't look so good but for multiples the triple looks the best.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interesting but I'd like to know if our trucks have a compatible connector. I think I'll message the supplier and see. I like plug and play for when it's time to sell!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRickyRam85

CRickyRam85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is the exact place to do your wiring and you will probably want to use a switch so if there's a time when you're driving and want to turn it off you can, otherwise you'll have to unplug it. BTW in hindsight, I think I might have rather have had purchased the triple long one just incase I wanted to add a second device. I have the single and it looks OK, the double doesn't look so good but for multiples the triple looks the best.

Do you know if I will need a 12 volt to lower voltage converter?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you know if I will need a 12 volt to lower voltage converter?

Yes, you need a lower voltage. My Garmin runs on 5 volts so I planned on tucking the factory Garmin power cord inside the dash and just poking the lead out through the tray at my GS mount. I attached a picture of what I bought and I'll wire in a switch. It might look silly but it will be inside the dash and nobody will ever see it.cameringo_20190206_085926.jpg

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
GPS.jpg

In the end I decided that the ligher / plug-in GPS power supply was an ugly tacky set-up and ordered a hardwired GPS power supply off ebay for $2.99 coming from China. 12V in, 5V out with 2 amps and has a GPS plug on the end.