Hazard lights not working, but the turn signals do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dajain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I just got this truck and everything works except the emergency/hazard flashers.
The turn signals work though.

Considering I'm going to be using the truck commercially, I need the flashers working.

I would think the turn and hazards would be a separate circuit for each one, but use the same power source.

Maybe just the button for the hazards failed?

Some input would be great.

She is a 2008 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW Incomplete vehicle

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There should be a relay for the flashers. The flashers are on a separate power source than turn signals, as they are engineered to work even if the ignition is off. U would have to research your TIPM to find which relay for flashers.

The 2008 Dodge Ram truck has a flasher relay that can be found in the fuse panel on the driver's side. It is located behind the carpeting in the footwell wall. To find it, You will first need to go to the driver's side Your car, and look in floorboard. The fuse box is the small black container. Open the lid, and inside You will find the flasher relay. If the switch needs to be replaced, You will pay between $12 and $87 for a new one. For service from a mechanic, You will pay an additional $58 to $138 for labor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dajain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There should be a relay for the flashers. The flashers are on a separate power source than turn signals, as they are engineered to work even if the ignition is off. U would have to research your TIPM to find which relay for flashers.
I'll go out and start switching some around and see if I can locate the one that is no good.
Funny thing is, I've seen 3 different locations posted on the internet for the flasher relay and since the one for the turn signals can be heard up under the dash, That location made some sense.

I'll see what I can find out by swapping them around a little. :)

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll go out and start switching some around and see if I can locate the one that is no good.
Funny thing is, I've seen 3 different locations posted on the internet for the flasher relay and since the one for the turn signals can be heard up under the dash, That location made some sense.

I'll see what I can find out by swapping them around a little. :)
E flash relay in same place as turn signals. There should be (2). One for turn signals and one for E Signals. Of course, maybe the relay is just loose in the box and not seated also. Best I can do w/o being there as I have a 5th Gen, totally different.

YOU gonna have to find out which one it is and hand carry into auto parts store to get replacement,. A search shows a bunch of diff types you are gonna have to match. The parts store I looked at would not let me narrow it down much. U could have one of the older style round ones, or square ones, just depends.

ADDED: MAKE sure that the Vehicle is Off and no signal/E flasher turned on, before U pull out that "signal" start. U can touch it and feel the start "vibrating".

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dajain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
E flash relay in same place as turn signals. There should be (2). One for turn signals and one for E Signals. Of course, maybe the relay is just loose in the box and not seated also. Best I can do w/o being there as I have a 5th Gen, totally different.

YOU gonna have to find out which one it is and hand carry into auto parts store to get replacement,. A search shows a bunch of diff types you are gonna have to match. The parts store I looked at would not let me narrow it down much. U could have one of the older style round ones, or square ones, just depends.
Just looked a the fuse box under the hood and there are no relays that are accessible, but I did find a blown fuse for the cigarette lighter. Didn't even know it wasn't working. haha

But, the turn signal relay, I can hear it clicking up behind the dash. I agree, next to the signal relay would make sense.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looked a the fuse box under the hood and there are no relays that are accessible, but I did find a blown fuse for the cigarette lighter. Didn't even know it wasn't working. haha

But, the turn signal relay, I can hear it clicking up behind the dash. I agree, next to the signal relay would make sense.
YES, for your year, the SIGNAL relays are under the dash, not under the hood. They may be in a Box or just plugged into wire loom. I have seen both, but been a long time that I hunted for a signal starter flasher module. See my post #2 and # 4, I pasted from an other forum also. AGAIN, make sure vehicle off before U pull the signal start, but even more important, when U plug in, make sure off, RAMS are stupid Finicky ref Power Issues !!!!!

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I would recommend replacing that blown fuse on the cigarette lighter ASAP.

I've had other vehicles that shared that fuse with other important items and you could be chasing your tail for no reason.

I can't find a 2008 Ram 3500 service manual, so I can't provide any further assistance.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I've had other vehicles that shared that fuse with other important items and you could be chasing your tail for no reason.

I can't find a 2008 Ram 3500 service manual, so I can't provide any further assistance.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
D

dajain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

Yup, Agreed. Did that replacement as soon as I found it. Also checked all the other fuses in the box. The rest of them are good to go.

OP
OP
D

dajain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
YES, for your year, the SIGNAL relays are under the dash, not under the hood. They may be in a Box or just plugged into wire loom. I have seen both, but been a long time that I hunted for a signal starter flasher module. See my post #2 and # 4, I pasted from an other forum also. AGAIN, make sure vehicle off before U pull the signal start, but even more important, when U plug in, make sure off, RAMS are stupid Finicky ref Power Issues !!
I just took the dash apart and the knee panel off and crawled up in there and could not find any relays, or a box big enough for a relay. But I can hear it up there clicking away.
Even went as far as to taking the cluster out and still couldn't see the darn thing.

Got frustrated and put it back together.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just took the dash apart and the knee panel off and crawled up in there and could not find any relays, or a box big enough for a relay. But I can hear it up there clicking away.
Even went as far as to taking the cluster out and still couldn't see the darn thing.

Got frustrated and put it back together.

If we can locate the proper service manual, it should give us a location for the hazard light relay.