Head replacement, manifold issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a valve seat fall out so I got a list of compatible years of engines and got a couple of heads from the junk yard. They fit good except for the drivers side exhaust manifold. The replacement head has an extra port at the back end. It appears to go down to the crankcase. Would anyone know what that port is for? Am I looking at more mods? Thanks for any info.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Sure it's not an egr port?.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm Thinking you put the passenger side head on the driverside.

OP
OP
K

ken24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a pic of the manifolds and the replaced head. I have the original manifold that goes with the head but it would be much easier to use the manifold that went with the trashed head. The port in the head seems dead ended. I'm sure it's a vent of some sort and may be dead ended because of the head gasket.

Anyone have info on what the port is for.

Thank you!

manifolds-head.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Use the non egr manifold? I mean your engine probly doesn't have the egr anyways. If you just block the hole it won't get feed anyways so you'd be fine. If your in a non emissions place just block it if a code comes up get the tuner to block it for Ya. I hate egr, just making the hemi suck it's own farts and lose power.

OP
OP
K

ken24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I'll do that: block it off and use the non-egr manifold. I'll post if any issues come up.

Thunderoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2003 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Just installed 2007 5.7 Hemi. Made cover plate for egr on head. Do I need to get the manifold from my 03 and change them out? It will start but it has no power. It sounds like it is ******** on the timing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thunderoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine Swap
03 to 07

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2003 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Just installed 2007 5.7 Hemi. Made cover plate for egr on head. Do I need to get the manifold from my 03 and change them out? It will start but it has no power. It sounds like it is ******** on the timing.

Yes, or fab a block off (or buy one) for the manifold. That's why it's running like ****, you have a giant vacuum leak.

Engine Swap
03 to 07

Was there supposed to be a link or something here....?

OP
OP
K

ken24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Egr from what I understand recycles the exhaust gas at lower power to decrease the O2 levels thus decreasing the NOx formation. If the egr valve is stuck you could be getting exhaust gas at higher power demand which would decrease power. I would check the egr valve to make sure it's operating correctly (there are videos on youtube).

Also, when you changed the head did all the timing chains line up per installation guide. I'm not sure on this one but even one tooth out will cause problems, if not disaster (interference engine).

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Egr from what I understand recycles the exhaust gas at lower power to decrease the O2 levels thus decreasing the NOx formation. If the egr valve is stuck you could be getting exhaust gas at higher power demand which would decrease power. I would check the egr valve to make sure it's operating correctly (there are videos on youtube).

Also, when you changed the head did all the timing chains line up per installation guide. I'm not sure on this one but even one tooth out will cause problems, if not disaster (interference engine).
Need to read his posts better, he did a slight thread hijack with a hemi EGR question. So there's only one timing chain and it doesn't go up to the head :)

OP
OP
K

ken24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: blocked the extra hole and all is good. Thank you for the replies