Headlamp Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. I have a 4th Generation Ram 1500 Big Horn and hate the headlights. My last vehicle had led headlights and were really bright. This truck has standard lights and I’m having trouble seeing at night, especially in the rain. My question is this, if I remove my headlights and buy new OEM projector style lamps that are in Sport and high end models, are they plug and play? At this point, I don’t care about the cost, I just need to be able to see at night when I’m driving. I’m a little concerned that a simple led bulb change won’t be enough. I’d rather replace mine with an entire assembly that I can just plug in. If the oem aren’t plug and play, what’s the best aftermarket assembly out there that will not fog an give me a bunch of issues? I just can’t understand why these lights throw such a poor beam. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
no, you'll need a wiring harness for the projector style light. you can get it all from theretroshop.com

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OEM projectors are plug and play with the harness adapter from RetroShop. Another upgrade to consider if you go with the projectors is to also get an HID kit from RetroShop. The HID upgrade is a significant improvement.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I will say that adding the oem projectors w/hid's is a massive improvement over stock. Just adding the oem projectors won't do a whole lot for you. I'm currently running quads with headlight revolution supernova v3's and am pleased with the output. Is it as good as hid's w/projectors, no but is a great improvement over stock. I do drive home in the dark every night and wasn't ready to drop ~$800 on a new set up yet but needed something better. I am very curious on how the morimoto led headlight assemblies will perform. I may convince myself once people start reporting on them to get a set of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added the projectors and did LED that was a huge improvement, perhaps not as much as HID but I didn’t want to drill the covers for HID. I’m very satisfied with the led.

AKArmendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue with my stock bulbs in my projectors. When I would have a passenger in my truck I would even get the question if my lights were even on.

I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos on bulb replacement between HIDs and LEDs.

For my fog lights (reflector) I did LEDs at 6k color temp and they are significantly brighter.
For my low beams in my projector I did HIDs at the same color temp and to be honest I couldn’t be more happy with the light output at night and just the overall aesthetic look it gave.

Since you have reflector units I would not be shied away from just doing an LED bulb replacement. You’d be extremely surprised with how much more light you will get. My LEDs were plug and play and I would highly recommend them as an option before you go to the extent of getting projectors and still not having enough light and needing to get new bulb kits anyway.

IMG_4609.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had quad headlight 3 years. Changed them out to led first week I owned my truck.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JQR2XWW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title&th=1

That's what I ran for 3 years no issues crazy bright and great patteren/distance. I switched to a projector system no really for the light but to change the look of my truck a little. I also put those bulbs in my high beams awesome even in projectors.