Headlight Question #92

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Seen quite a few headlamp posts about the poor lighting on our 2nd gens. Even with factory housings, I just can't get the low beams and hi beams to focus at the same adjustment. Spacing between the two is too wide - when the lows are good, the hi's seem 1-2' above the road. I know some people try to install the higher (low beam) wattage 9007's in the single beam system, but IMO that is a no fly zone - due to the differences in filament placement/direction, the aim of the bulb is off, and they wire differently. So I'm going to convert my '96 Ram 1500 to the Sport 4 bulb system, with relays. Wiring so (A) park light setting lights park lights. (B) park with fogs lights park with fogs. (C) Low beams light all 4 low beams. (D) Low beam with fogs lights outer low beams and fogs. (E) High beams lights all 4 hi beams. And yes, I know the OEM 9004's and the 9007's wire differently. Got all that covered. Phillips Xtreme Visions are my choice of bulbs. Seem to be the best choice of brightness without sacrificing too much bulb life (+300 hrs).

So the question is. The Sport quads run 9007's (65/55watt) in the outers and 9004's (65/45 watt) in the inners. I assume the lenses are shaped to focus the beams correctly, but has anyone tried to run all 4 9007's - wired correctly, of course. I just wonder if the aim is noticeably off swapping the inner bulbs. Just trying to only buy bulbs once, and I have found 4 packs of 9007's cheaper than a 9004/9007 kit, plus I hate to rewire anything that I just did.

Thoughts?