Headlights, LED upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This whole LED thing is kinda trial and error. Unless you got a friend who has a similar vehicle and you get some sort of starting point for your vehicle. Me, I didn't have a starting point, but I know it sucks when someone puts the wrong low beams in their car and blind everyone with them. Just remember when buying bulbs, low beams are what all oncoming traffic deals with. fog lamps have a cutoff midway to below the low beam light pattern (or at least supposed to). High beams, you just don't use them with oncoming traffic (unless they have their high beams on, then it's kinda game on at that point). 2000 lumens per low beam is kinda on the high side. 1500 is adequate. 1000 will suffice. I used that for my own personal rule of thumb buying LED's. And in 3 vehicles using that rule of thumb, I have not gotten flashed ever. So for me, it works.

Fog lights, you can actually use higher lumen bulbs because they're the lowest point on the front end. And basically those lights are to illuminate immediate front of vehicle, and sides of roadway. High beams, you only use them when there is no oncoming traffic. So if you decide "yeah, those 12,000 lumen 6500K bulbs should do the trick". You're only at the mercy of the vehicle at that point (higher wattage and lumens also means higher temps of the bulb design).

I just hope some of our discussion helps folks out. Because everyone wants better out of their vehicles. And the best way to make it happen, is to openly discuss it. Share pointers. And help a fellow RAM owner out... :)

OP
OP
sholtz21

sholtz21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This whole LED thing is kinda trial and error. Unless you got a friend who has a similar vehicle and you get some sort of starting point for your vehicle. Me, I didn't have a starting point, but I know it sucks when someone puts the wrong low beams in their car and blind everyone with them. Just remember when buying bulbs, low beams are what all oncoming traffic deals with. fog lamps have a cutoff midway to below the low beam light pattern (or at least supposed to). High beams, you just don't use them with oncoming traffic (unless they have their high beams on, then it's kinda game on at that point). 2000 lumens per low beam is kinda on the high side. 1500 is adequate. 1000 will suffice. I used that for my own personal rule of thumb buying LED's. And in 3 vehicles using that rule of thumb, I have not gotten flashed ever. So for me, it works.

Fog lights, you can actually use higher lumen bulbs because they're the lowest point on the front end. And basically those lights are to illuminate immediate front of vehicle, and sides of roadway. High beams, you only use them when there is no oncoming traffic. So if you decide "yeah, those 12,000 lumen 6500K bulbs should do the trick". You're only at the mercy of the vehicle at that point (higher wattage and lumens also means higher temps of the bulb design).

I just hope some of our discussion helps folks out. Because everyone wants better out of their vehicles. And the best way to make it happen, is to openly discuss it. Share pointers. And help a fellow RAM owner out... :)
I agree, There's just so much information out there to sort through. I was hoping to get more of a "this works", "you won't need to program that", but the more I've dug into this, you are right, it is about trial and error. Everyone has an opinion, which I'm not discrediting in any form, that's what these forums are about, but this really is more of a grey area.

The low beams I was looking at run about 2500 Lux, quite a brighter and look too have a pretty good beam pattern in the housing i have, from a video i saw. It's that real world coming down the road towards the light view I want to see though. I'm thinking these might be a bit much though.

As far as the fogs go, yes I agree with the beam pattern, however, interesting thought though, I had a older Bravada a while back that I converted the fogs to driving lights. We don't have a big issue with fog very often just snow, but down some long country roads seeing 300 yards down the road had it's advantage.

Bottom line, I really wish I could see these in action, with some test runs down the road. I do appreciate all the feedback.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish you better luck than I had over the years (so glad my 21 FINALLY came with good headlights). I put hids and leds in my 2011/2013/2017 with and without intervention with alfa obd and never got my lights to work for more than a year or so give or take, before having problems. Always was the low beams that caused me problems (of course) so was constantly a problem once I had issues arise. At the end it was so infuriating and defeating, I just accepted the absolute **** stock headlights for the duration of my ownership on my last truck.

I will say it seems like I had unusually bad luck with all of the lights I bought (I bought the spectrum of cheap/middle/and expensive), I've heard plenty of people on the forums over the years go trouble free for the time of their ownership of the truck. Wish I could have gotten mine to be reliable, it was nice to be able to see at night when they did work.

I also miss my light bar, some of the 4th gen bumpers had the perfect spot to put them so they weren't in the way or covered up by anything. No where really good to put on a 5th gen and have it look that clean.

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, There's just so much information out there to sort through. I was hoping to get more of a "this works", "you won't need to program that", but the more I've dug into this, you are right, it is about trial and error. Everyone has an opinion, which I'm not discrediting in any form, that's what these forums are about, but this really is more of a grey area.

The low beams I was looking at run about 2500 Lux, quite a brighter and look too have a pretty good beam pattern in the housing i have, from a video i saw. It's that real world coming down the road towards the light view I want to see though. I'm thinking these might be a bit much though.

As far as the fogs go, yes I agree with the beam pattern, however, interesting thought though, I had a older Bravada a while back that I converted the fogs to driving lights. We don't have a big issue with fog very often just snow, but down some long country roads seeing 300 yards down the road had it's advantage.

Bottom line, I really wish I could see these in action, with some test runs down the road. I do appreciate all the feedback.
I finally added my new LED fog bulbs. Weird, cause the halogen were more of a flat pattern. These new LED's are more like a wide pattern that covers everything directly in front of the truck from like 8 feet from the sides across. I actually like them with the low beams. Gives a lot of vision on a dark unlit roadway (see a ton more critters like ground hogs, foxes, and deer).

2500 lumens (per bulb) should be no brighter than any new vehicle with HID or LED front lighting. And it should deliver a great field of vision too. Fog and high beams, feel free to go bonkers. Just remember, any adjustable LED bulb will require additional work to adjust them perfectly. Which is why I avoided them (cause I have zero patience - I am old ya know lol).

Good luck with your lighting mods. Keep us all posted too. The more we all share, the more valuable info we all gain. :)

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

13:40 mark and on..

blakhra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I use these bulbs in all my front lights. 100% true plug and play with no need for extra resistors, no flickering, no dash warnings and when clicked to the 9&3 position you will get a perfect light output without blinding anyone.
H11-lows 9005-highs 9006-fogs. $150 Canadian for all three sets and going well over a year now.

I just pulled the trigger and bought these off Amazon too.
Did you have to reaim/adjust the headlights after installing? Any issues with beam patterns or other drivers flashing you?

Gregdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just pulled the trigger and bought these off Amazon too.
Did you have to reaim/adjust the headlights after installing? Any issues with beam patterns or other drivers flashing you?
These are my low beams after I adjusted the lights. Only time I’ve been flashed is by people in small lowered rice rockets which still isn’t very often.
You’ll have to adjust your bulbs to the 9&3 position when installing them to get the best output. This your beam pattern is side to side and not up and down. Better coverage this way and you don’t blind people.

Attachments

• 670E395F-312C-4A25-829B-0BFD7D2F5A8D.jpeg
    670E395F-312C-4A25-829B-0BFD7D2F5A8D.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 4

blakhra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
These are my low beams after I adjusted the lights. Only time I’ve been flashed is by people in small lowered rice rockets which still isn’t very often.
You’ll have to adjust your bulbs to the 9&3 position when installing them to get the best output. This your beam pattern is side to side and not up and down. Better coverage this way and you don’t blind people.
Did you have to adjust the little clock screw on them at all? I'm installing mine today

OP
OP
sholtz21

sholtz21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know about all LED bulbs, but on some they are adjustable. There's a little set screw on the collar that can be loosened so you can rotate the LED.

blakhra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What’s a clock screw?
Meant to get back to this quicker....disregard that....I installed them and just had to adjust the aiming screw on the back of the headlight housing. All is good!

OP
OP
sholtz21

sholtz21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soooooo, how do you like the new lights?
I love the white light output. but honestly, With family stuff at home every night. I haven't really been out at night with it. I am thinking I will need to adjust the housing down a bit, not sure whats's required to do that yet. I've noticed that against the garage door, the they are pointed a bit higher.

Gregdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’ll need a torx screwdriver bit to adjust your lights. Can’t remember what size but you go through the top of your fenders. You’ll see a small hole that you run the screwdriver through.
I had to adjust my drivers side to match the passenger

Attachments

• F0CE9006-8FCC-4778-AAD0-2F89BCDF9B94.jpeg
    F0CE9006-8FCC-4778-AAD0-2F89BCDF9B94.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
sholtz21

sholtz21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hoping to have time this weekend to do it. My drivers side came out a little higher as well. I'm sure I can fine info on it, just haven't look yet.

Avas truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use these bulbs in all my front lights. 100% true plug and play with no need for extra resistors, no flickering, no dash warnings and when clicked to the 9&3 position you will get a perfect light output without blinding anyone.
H11-lows 9005-highs 9006-fogs. $150 Canadian for all three sets and going well over a year now.
Sorry for the question
But what year of truck do you have? I looking to put on a 2011 3500

Elvira

Reaction score
Stick with the factory type bulbs, a good halogen bulb will save you a lot of aggravation with resistors and mods. Until they get the formula right with led's, they never work just right. Led is great for tail light, back up or license lamps, but head lights are just not there yet for a perfect led replacement. I have a 2015 Ram with projector headlights, they were notorious for hid or led setup not working well, bcm and or lighting modules always found fault or failed with anything other than halogen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sholtz21

sholtz21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stick with the factory type bulbs, a good halogen bulb will save you a lot of aggrivation with resistors and mods. Until they get the formula right with led s, they never work just right. Led is great for tail light, back up or license lamps, but head lights are just not there yet for a perfect led replacement. I have a 2015 Ram, they were notorious for hid or led setup not working well, bcm and or lighting modules always found fault or failed with anything other than halogen.
My LED bulbs have been in my headlights for just over a month now, with zero issue. No mods needed.