Heated seats and steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k_gomez17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I know this topic has had multiple threads so sorry to add another! I have read through many of them and it sounds like most guys are going with after market heated seat kits. I was hoping to go with a factory mopar kit but everywhere i have looked says it is unavailable or discontinued. The main reason I want to stick with mopar is so I don't run across any issues with the module when adding a heated steering wheel later on down the road. I am looking to do this upgrade on a 2018 Big Horn Ecodiesel. Any ideas why? Or where to find it?

'I've done more research on this and it sounds like not even the dealers use mopar parts when they do heated seat add ons. With that does anyone know if the heating element for the seats has to be mopar for the heated steering wheel to work? My truck does have the blue connector in the dummy plug for the steering wheel. So this could have a really obvious answer that im missing, but once installing the new steering wheel and clock spring, how do i make this work without the factory mopar heating element?'

Last edited:

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this topic has had multiple threads so sorry to add another! I have read through many of them and it sounds like most guys are going with after market heated seat kits. I was hoping to go with a factory mopar kit but everywhere i have looked says it is unavailable or discontinued. The main reason I want to stick with mopar is so I don't run across any issues with the module when adding a heated steering wheel later on down the road. I am looking to do this upgrade on a 2018 Big Horn Ecodiesel. Any ideas why? Or where to find it?

'I've done more research on this and it sounds like not even the dealers use mopar parts when they do heated seat add ons. With that does anyone know if the heating element for the seats has to be mopar for the heated steering wheel to work? My truck does have the blue connector in the dummy plug for the steering wheel. So this could have a really obvious answer that im missing, but once installing the new steering wheel and clock spring, how do i make this work without the factory mopar heating element?'
I used the heated seats in my Laramie for the first time this past Monday. It was only 45 degrees out, but to say that I was unimpressed would be an understatement. I could barely feel anything at all on low and when I switched to high, it wasn’t much better. The steering wheel on the other hand was great. It heated up quickly and was a very comfortable temperature. Everything in my truck is stock.

Aymchayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in the same boat I curently have a expresse and do want heated steering wheel but could not find anny detail on how to do it if feasable

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do they eventually warm up after you are sitting for a few minutes? Ours work fine once we are sitting on them. I would like to have the steering wheel heat up at a higher outside temperature when remote starting.

I found out on our first vehicle with heated seats they do their best when my fat butt is sitting on the seat. When I remote start I can't tell much difference until I sit for a few minutes. Our 09 T&C has heated seats with remote start but they do not come on, even when set in auto mod, until we actually insert the key and turn to on.

I agree it would be nice to have a warm seat to sit on right away.

Schmidty99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Morning. Newbie here. Joined the forum mainly to see what others were saying about the heated seats. Mine suck. Barely get warm. I brought the truck back the dealer and they tell me they are working fine and the reason the seats don't get warm is because of the such high quality of the leather. I called BS as I've owned many vehicles with heated seats which all get very warm to hot. Normally, once I get in the a vehicle with heated seats I turn them off almost immediately. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have an 18 bighorn 1500 cloth, heated seats and I agree they are barely warm......I had a 2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman that I added the factory wheel and seats to and those got HOT! Something changed along the way.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Heated wheel works from the heated seat module thats under the seat that has factory heated/cooled,then you have to run a harness.There is a thread about it in the D.I.Y section.
If you have an express you have to change the clock spring which is $250 to buy and get the heated wheel.I put the laramie seats in mine and got the heated cooled seats working,I also ran the harness for the heated wheel and put heated wheel on but have not changed the clockspring.You can buy the harnesses from a guy in the D.I.Y section which are top class.
Heated seats work straight away but you need code for the cooling.

Last edited:

Sweep49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 Laramie and agree that the heated seats are disappointing. Does anyone know or think its possible to change the heating pads to an aftermarket pad and use the stock wiring?

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
They may have changed the system(s) for the OEM factory installed heated seats and steering wheel over the years.. My 2012 Laramie factory heated seats work like a dream. They are not instantaneously hot, however, so I learned to have patience and give them time to reach full temp. But we're only talking a few minutes (or a few miles, depending on how fast you're driving lol).

The steering wheel heats up faster than the seats and is a much appreciated feature here in SW Wyoming. It also takes some time to reach temp, but only a minute or two. Ex: I remote start while checking out at Wally World and by the time I get in the truck the steering wheel helps to defrost my frost-bitten fingers. I have a steering wheel cover (basic leather purchased @ AutoZone) and I can feel the heat through the cover and my gloves. It is so nice and mosty toasty that I'm unsure if I would be able to handle the wheel bare with the heat on.

wesplains

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have heated seats and heated steering wheel on my 2017 Rebel. I put thick seat covers on to make it easier to slide in and out of. The heated seats in my truck are great even though the seat covers and heavy coat.

The heated steering wheel is awesome. Have had heated seats for 18 years, but my first heated steering wheel. It is my favorite option on the truck.

Spindrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
My truck had factory cloth but I upgraded to Katzkin leather at the dealer. Same here, barely can feel the heat after several minutes. I thought it was due to the leather upgrade but it sounds like even the cloth seats don't get very warm. I'm also curious if there is an aftermarket heating element you could swap in that would work better. My old heated seats would cook your behind...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck had factory cloth but I upgraded to Katzkin leather at the dealer. Same here, barely can feel the heat after several minutes. I thought it was due to the leather upgrade but it sounds like even the cloth seats don't get very warm. I'm also curious if there is an aftermarket heating element you could swap in that would work better. My old heated seats would cook your behind...
What year truck? Seems to be the biggest complaint about lack of heat is from the 18's.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Krackle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 Harvest edition 1500 and the seat warm up pretty good, will say the wifes 2017 Honda CRV is a little warmer

Krackle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heated steering wheel gets warm very quickly

SilverRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I installed the Laramie seats and heated wheel in my '17 SLT.
They work awesome. I have to go to the low setting after after about 5 minutes. The heated wheel seams to keep getting hotter. So I turn it off. i love the system. It has been below 40 only a few times so far.
I bought the wire harness from "Deereguy" also "Ricksram" help install, and setup.
They did an awesome job. "Deereguy" harness was just as good or better than factory.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a setting in the bcm for seat type. Guarantee if you change that to perforated leather it will get hot.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, have a MY 19. My seats heat well and steering wheel also. The times I really notice is when I remote start when "chilly" out. I am happy on the heating, but it is not instantaneous, just saying.....

Bighorn, level 2, cloth seats with seating pads on seats and wrapped steering wheel