Heated steering wheel option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommyboy77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey folks, my 2016 Sport does not have the heated steering wheel or heated seats options. My question, does the steering wheel have the element inside, its just a matter of installing the button on dash? Ive been told all steering wheels do have the heating element inside? Also for my seats is there a viable option to install those elements and the button on cluster? I know how to strip the seats and reskin. Thanks in advance.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My tradesman wheel does NOT have the heater element for sure. My replacement leather wheel does have the heating element but I am not using it. There is quite a bit to do to get heated seats and wheel working. You need a new clock spring for one then some other electronic bits and pieces. It's been done and detailed here. Most likely someone will post up a link.
BTW you can pop the airbag off and see if your wheel has the heater built in.

OP
OP
T

Tommyboy77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Awesome thank you. Ill do that this weekend.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey folks, my 2016 Sport does not have the heated steering wheel or heated seats options. My question, does the steering wheel have the element inside, its just a matter of installing the button on dash? Ive been told all steering wheels do have the heating element inside? Also for my seats is there a viable option to install those elements and the button on cluster? I know how to strip the seats and reskin. Thanks in advance.

The *wiring* for the heated wheel is in the steering column, but most likely you will be missing the heated steering wheel itself along with the necessary clockspring. I believe you would also need the heated seat module as the steering wheel heat is controlled through there, and that usually only comes with heated seats.

Re-skinning the seats is an option, but the factory heating setup is fairly cost prohibitive. You'll be better off trying to find a good set of used, heated seats. They should come with the heated seat module as well, so its probably the best way even if it is more expensive than expected. If you are planning on upgrading to leather covers, etc then the existing seat cover condition isnt really important so it might be easier to find seats that satisfy your need.

BTW a bunch of people have suggested buying the special tool to remove the airbag. I dont know what tool it is or how much it is, but its been said that the tool makes it possible to get the airbag out in 30 seconds.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do disconnect the battery ground before playing with the airbag.
I use a flashlight and folding mirror in left hand and my screwdriver or small pry tool in my right hand.
If you can actually see what you are doing it only takes moments to pop off the air bag.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did this on my '13. The key is your trim level. If SLT and up with power seats you shod be good. It may have changed since then but you can check to see if you have these parts. Remember the '13's may have been different but I know of a late '15 I looked at was the same.

Pull the steering column cover off and look at the back (dash side) of your clock spring. If there is a harness plugged into a dummy spot with a blue plug you have the wiring for it at that part. Now look under the front of the drivers seat. Shine a light and see if there is a small grey module under there. It will probably have 4 empty plugs on it but it may also not have that. It about 3 inches long by 2 inches wide by 1/2" to an inch tall. If that is there then you are probably good.

Since I had those parts what I did was ordered a heated steering wheel rim and harness and rebuilt the steering wheel. I would not do this. By yourself one that already has the features. You also need a cloak-ring. Read up on how to remove the airbag. Ram made this extra difficult and requires the truck to be running to release the clips. Nice and safe!!.

Replace those parts and move onto the seats. I recommend getting ones that already have heat in them. They'll have the module. You only looked earlier to make sure your seat harness was good. They may not put it in now though unless you have the heated seats but the wiring may still be good.

Anyway, replace the seats but make sure the battery is disconnected for a good period of time first.

Lastly, swap out the button panel with the heated seats and steering wheel buttons in it. Depending on your truck you will have to find the right part that has the existing buttons as well.

At this point everything should work. Also They will heat up in cold weather on remote start. The part that is a bigger pain is trying to get them coded so they show up on the Connect display. I could only every get the seats to show and not the steering wheel. 3 dealers tried to no luck. I didn't really care since I had hard buttons anyway and every thing worked fine. Also note, over time the steering wheel will back off on the amount of heat it is putting out. It does this until around 30 minute when it shuts off automatically. I did notice on colder days it stayed on longer and kept warmer longer.

I would grab pics, etc but no longer have the truck.

Ramcummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My tradesman wheel does NOT have the heater element for sure. My replacement leather wheel does have the heating element but I am not using it. There is quite a bit to do to get heated seats and wheel working. You need a new clock spring for one then some other electronic bits and pieces. It's been done and detailed here. Most likely someone will post up a link.
BTW you can pop the airbag off and see if your wheel has the heater built in.

So you were able to install a leather steering wheel with the heating element into a Tradesman? I have a 2016 Tradesman 6.7 Cummins that I would like to upgrade the steering wheel to leather. The one I found is also a heated steering wheel, I don't need the heater, just want to make sure I can still use it on my truck without using the heater.
Thanks!

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Yes. It will work without the heater hooked up.