Heater not hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDADDYRABBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello folks! New to the forum, glad to be a part of this group. I am also new to Dodge, this 2016 Ram 2500 Larmie 6.4 is my first one. I bought this beast a few months ago from a private owner. I love the truck but the heater only puts out slightly warm air, more on the cool side. I carried it to my local mechnic and had it checked. He stated to me yesterday that the cooling system was working perfectly. The heater core is not stopped up, coolant is circulating as it suppose to. I checked the actuator on the passenger side behind the glove box and it was working perfectly. My mechnic says I need to carry it to the dealer and let them look at it. I am going to do that but I figured if I was having this issue someone else was to.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
is it hotter on passenger side or same on both, and is the flow of air same on both or more on passenger side.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I'd still bet on the heater core, I'd try a reverse flush of the core first, see if that makes a difference. Numerous threads about it on here, look thru the similar threads listed below

OP
OP
M

MDADDYRABBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd still bet on the heater core, I'd try a reverse flush of the core first, see if that makes a difference. Numerous threads about it on here, look thru the similar threads listed below
The water is running through the heater core

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Is there not a single new forum member that can figure out how to look at the 2 dozen threads in the last 3 months on exactly this topic. I like trying to help, but man this is getting tiresome.

MDR- Welcome, but please look immediately below this post, the first 5 threads of more info than you could ever want. And one more for good measure.

OP
OP
M

MDADDYRABBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is there not a single new forum member that can figure out how to look at the 2 dozen threads in the last 3 months on exactly this topic. I like trying to help, but man this is getting tiresome.

MDR- Welcome, but please look immediately below this post, the first 5 threads of more info than you could ever want. And one more for good measure.

Sorry I didn't use the forum to your notion. If I ask a question and it gets under your skin I will not be upset if you don't answer. I will do better next time.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Man that is a rough welcome to a new member lol.

Sorry I didn't use the forum to your notion. If I ask a question and it gets under your skin I will not be upset if you don't answer. I will do better next time.

Welcome RABBIT!

Lots of info is available here and we don't expect you to know how to use all of the forum tools available to you right off the bat. Don't hesitate to post a new topic if you are looking for some clarification or have some questions. We are large community of RAM enthusiasts with a bunch of knowledge at the end of the day. The members here know more about our trucks than I could hope to ever learn or remember!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Man that is a rough welcome to a new member lol.

Welcome RABBIT!

Lots of info is available here and we don't expect you to know how to use all of the forum tools available to you right off the bat. Don't hesitate to post a new topic if you are looking for some clarification or have some questions. We are large community of RAM enthusiasts with a bunch of knowledge at the end of the day. The members here know more about our trucks than I could hope to ever learn or remember!
Fair comment and I don't mean to be unwelcoming but the technology on this forum is very good. Head and shoulders above most forums. What I just can't grasp is, as soon as you put the title into the new thread this system AUTOMATICALLY shows you the last 5 to 10 threads on the same topic. You don't even need to know how to search, just read the threads that automatically pop up. If you follow those threads even more show up on the same topic. Hard to get more user friendly than that.

Screen shot of what shows up when you go to start a new thread, no matter what forum you start out in, and this is only 3 of the 6 you can scroll to on the face page that shows up. . Screenshot_20230114-141749_Chrome.jpg

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Welcome to the Forum.

A ton of terrific information and an abundance of super folks , who like to help.

There are a few Not-So-Nice People, who , for some reason, feel the need to spill their Venom.
Like at any public event or gathering. You know, the Types who write all that weird stuff,
on the Public Bathroom Stall Walls.

There is a couple of terrific features you need learn, right now.

First, if you place mouse over a posters Name, that box to left of their post. Let your Mouse Symbol just sit there.
A pop window will have Follow, Ignore or Conversation. Clikc the Ignore and you will never see that screwballs Drivel, ever again.

Example:
I had no idea who you were apologizing 'to' because I had already put that individual in my "Ignore the Feces Tossing Monkey" List.

2nd Awesomely, Terrific Feature is at the top right of every page.
Little magnifying Glass Symbol to the left of the work SEARCH

Fastgest way to find Answers is to go fetch them form threads other people have discussed, rather than waiting for someone to answer your new thrad.

FOrums members to tend Ebb and Flow. Your Issue may very well have been solved, by a forum Member who has not visited in Months. He will not see your post but your problem is one he already provided the solution. Go get that solution. It;s like Gold just waiting for you to fetch.

Rgarding yoru problem,

Remove the hoses from your heater core. Back flush the heater core with a graden hose but be aware to keep pressure low. Coolling systems are normaly less than 20 PSI, House water presure tends be 65 - 100 psi, city, rural etc.

See hwo it flows through the heater core adn look for Gunk.

If any gunk comes out, then the entire engine needs to be cleaned up.
Best way is coolant flush, couple of tiem,s to get teh easiest gunk out, then add RMI-25 to bust loose the caked on gunk, then fluch a few more times.

Idea is to ensure coolant ahs a freef lwoing pathway through the entire cooling system and no GUnk staling the heat of the coolant and keeping it fromm transfering to your heaqter core itself.

Once that is all good, then we can start looking at thermostats and other things.

let us know and, most imporatn

once you find the solution, post the experience, the path you took and the actual solution that fixed yoour issue.

It may help another, own the road.

again, Welcome to the forum and do not let the few jerks, run you off.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Op and other newbies, so to say,……. Ask whatever you need help with. This is the forum for that.

Just because there’s a thread in existence, doesn’t necessarily means it’s up to date as well.

Glad your here :waytogo:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you know anyone that has a Heat Sensing Gun ?

The heater hose that goes into the firewall, i believe, should be the same temperature as the engine temperature.
The return hose that comes out from the firewall should be noticeable cooler.
You should even feel the difference with your hand

Do you know which temperature Thermostat is currently in your truck ?

OP
OP
M

MDADDYRABBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Heater core was stopped up tight as ***** hat band! Heat is now working after a backward flush.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Heater core was stopped up tight as ***** hat band! Heat is now working after a backward flush.
Awesome.

As mentioned, in my earlier post, Cooling systems are pretty basic. Back flush heater, to insure it is clear & free flowing. Then move on to the engine, adn the radiator, if everything is clear & free flowing, then we can go on, from there, to diagnose the issue.

Sorry you had to deal with some detritus, amongst your replies.
Simple fix though, using the IGNORE feature.

Finally:
Welcome to the forum .