HELP 93 W250 steering box spline #'s problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sukie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
hi all, this is my first post and im getting desperate! I bought a new cardon power steering box and found that even though the spline count is the same '31' on shaft coupler and box they will not mate. the steering box input shaft is slightly larger in diameter. So, imlooked into the borgensen telescopping shaft but it says its a 36 spline! I hope someone can help because I have no truck , a new steering nox that rock auto says is the only applicable part and no way to attach to my steering shaft. Please help !
Thanks in advance all!

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if it's only slightly larger, have you tried spreading the coupling link on the shaft? Or is it more/visibly larger?

OP
OP
S

sukie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Hi Reek. Sorry I did not respond earlier! Too much work , no time! So, the stock coupler is the original old style with the cast like box with the female end mating to the steering box and cannot be "opened" or anything like that, so after much pulling of hair I just bought an aftermarket u-joint end shaft. I'm getting it today so all should be good now. Thank you for your response!

billscamaros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L EFI
I know that it's an older thread, but I've got a follow on question. On the power steering box, is both the steering column input shaft and the pitman arm shaft keyed so that it only fits together in one way? Or is the input shaft just splined, which would let me end up with the steering wheel not centered when the front wheels are pointed straight ahead?? Thanks!

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
i'D THINK IF YOUR STEERING WHEEL IS OFF THEN your shaft must not have an alignment spline.
NOW on a build I did. I used a Scout II GEAR BOX on a Bronco for added power steering . My Spline was off. SO a friend of mine worked in a machine shop .. He took one look at it & said no probelm .. He took the piece to work with him .. &He added another spline in those marker spline . & I can rotate my Steering wheel at any angle I need.
He said his machine had a wire that he could cut the new spline & He did.
A FREEBY. ALSO.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
iF YOU DON'T LIKE THE ANSWERS you've gotten so far. Goggle ''Texas Steer'' in Dallas or Ft Worth area. Call them & ask them about the Spline count.
Those folks know their stuff &Have answered many a question for me .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963