Help fix the issue with my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnlew37

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Lamarie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Lamarie 4x4. I purchased 9/2022. I'll mention I have 305/55/R20's on it with spacers. I ran this same exact tire and size with spacers on my old 2010 for years with zero issue. Did not have any issues with it, then Jan 2023 it was in an accident. Right side of the truck was taken out. Ever since I got the truck back out of the body shop there has been something wrong with how it drives. Nothing I can put my finger on to say hey this is the issue. A couple of weeks ago you would start hearing the noises and clunking when you go over a bump. I climbed under and went front to back checking everything I could think of because I had initial issues when I first received the truck with the body shop forgetting to tighten things. Over the last 2 weeks the clunking noise just continued to get worse but still only over bumps. Tuesday of this week I started to noticed that when you go over a overpass or any uneven surface the rear end would sway. Again climbed under and checked everything. Yesterday it started where it would start riding really rough at times vibrating pretty hard that you would see the bed of the truck shaking. Anyone dealt with this? What was the issue? Anything I can check to possibly find this issue? I am at a point now if I dont figure out I am just selling the dang thing. Would appreciate any feedback as to what this could be.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Post that noise , it might help .

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your sound may or may not be related to the accident, but I guess if it were mine, ...and maybe you've done this: I'd put it up on jackstands and check all the wheel bearings first. Push/pull/lift with vigor with the steering too. Before you put it up on jackstands, try to shake the shocks in case a bushing has deteriorated. I just had a shock bushing crap out for some unknown reason (different vehicle, not the Ram). Some other things specifically I'd check would be (sorry if you've done some of these but just making a list):

1) Center driveshaft bearing if your truck has one.
2) All suspension bushings, including (again) the shock bushings.
3) Emergency brake cables & wiring ...in case they are vibrating(slapping)
4) Air dams (they can vibrate & shake at speed)
5) All cab mounts & box bolts
6) Exhaust system
7) Front/rear fender liners (make sure they're fastened down properly). The rear fender liners are kind of a SOB to remove/install, so make sure they're fully seated like they should be. It would be an easy thing to shortcut
8) Gas tank straps
9) Make sure plastic grommets are in place where hoses, lines & emergency brake cables go through the frame. They help dampen slapping noises.
10) Tailgate ..make sure it's fitting tight and not able to wiggle in it's mounts.
11) Bumper brackets.
12) CV axles
13) Power steering rack (bolts)
14) Shake the intermediate shaft to make sure it's not wiggling around.
15) Anything on the rear axle which might wiggle
16) Calipers & shoes (make sure they're snug). Brake pads should have the stainless sleeves between the pad ears and the caliper. A lot of owners & shops throw them away. Loose pads can cause a rattle everytime your truck hits a bump.
17) Wheel center caps (in case one is loose-fitting).
18) Spare tire. Might be worth removing & driving around just in case. Or maybe somethings on top of the spare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnlew37

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Lamarie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Jeepwalker. I will go back over all of your suggestions, but yes I have checked all of that outside of the wheel bearings. You cant get it to seem to have any play or movement sitting on ground when you shake the tire on the front. Now the rear if you shake hard enough it will make a sound as if there is play.

The fender liners are a pain, they were the very first thing I noticed the body shop did not reintall. 76mph on the hwy and sounded like the truck was failing apart.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No Probl. Note: I went back and added a couple more items to my above post. Esp brake pads/calipers.. which can be a hidden source of rattles.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check your rear control arms .

magman777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does that year have the vibration dampers under the floorboard front seat. I recently heard where someone took them off because they started rattling.