Fix it, Trade it, Sell-It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
If I have a engine problem, I am full bore rebuild if I am keeping it. Otherwise I scrap it. Just me.
I definitely don't prefer to scrap or sell it

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Got one of those situations where I am having a hard time deciding do I fix my truck, trade-it while it has no CEL and otherwise drives decent, or Sell it and just wait and be patient?

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with 165k miles on it. I just bought it recently and never had a CEL and still doesn't but i know for sure something is broken or seized (lifter) at cylinder 1 or 3. Yes, i know i should at least remove the valve covers and inspect it. The noise seriously developed shortly after purchasing. I will probably at least get the intake off to look at the VVT solenoid and check the screen for metal shavings because the oil was new when I got the truck so nothing showed in the oil change that I did when putting fresh PUP oil in. If there are shavings present, I will take a loss to avoid being the one to fork out for a new engine. Also the transmission is smooth when manually shifting and has fresh fluid but when auto shifting it's a bit rough. Assuming line pressure due to clogged filters could be the issue causing solenoids to shift inconsistently.

Anyways, i'm just wondering if I should opt for trading for maybe a newer 15/16/17 Ram or perhaps just being patient and getting a 5th Gen when I can find a really great deal. What would you do? I enjoy reading others opinions. This 2011 is my favorite body style and love the console shifter on these. I do wish i paid more attention to avoid the 5 speed but it does shift damn good in manual mode when I'm in control of shift points.

The main reason I am hesitant on paying to fix it is the truck has the 5 speed and I definitely wish it had the 6 speed. Stupid me. Secondly, i would be pissed if I replace the engine and then something happens adn I have to now address the transmission issue. You can see the 11,500 ive spent on this will quickly turn into a $20k+ truck with lots of miles.

Well, if you like the truck, then put the twenty grand, or whatever, into it and keep up the maintenance and keep on rolling down the highways.

Or, drop the twenty grand plus your trade and you might could have an decent monthly note?

Prices on new cars and trucks are ridiculous and an old truck such as yours won't bring much in trade, but you asked and I noted my opinion.

Fwiw, only you know what your options are.

Happy motoring and hammer down!

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Well, if you like the truck, then put the twenty grand, or whatever, into it and keep up the maintenance and keep on rolling down the highways.

Or, drop the twenty grand plus your trade and you might could have an decent monthly note?

Prices on new cars and trucks are ridiculous and an old truck such as yours won't bring much in trade, but you asked and I noted my opinion.

Fwiw, only you know what your options are.

Happy motoring and hammer down!
And I do appreciate it sir!

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, if you are looking for trade in values, give carvana a shot

Terribly overpriced on the buyers end, but I've found that they pay decent trade in as well

And they consider a running engine a running engine
And a knocking but running engine too

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
And I do appreciate it sir!

I didn't mean to sound like an smart ***, my 2017 RAM 1500 RCSB has been down since last November due to an collision with an eighteen wheeler gravel truck.

The insurance won't total it and instead is going to have a new frame slapped on underneath it, then repair/replace all of the bent sheet metal(front end collision) and realign the left side door, cab and left/right front fenders, etc.

I'm mixed on having the repairs made or even if the insurance did total my truck, NADA values my truck at $21 thousand even with just 50, 000 miles and in mint condition.

It could still be totaled due to rental car, man hours for repairs and parts ...just imagine, everything from my "old trucks" frame has to be torn down and placed on the new frame, ball joints, tie rod ends, motor, transmission, rear axle, brake lines, ac/HVAC lines, radiator/condenser, rear spare tire hoist, fuel tank ... lol, the whole damn truck!

So, I guess I'll be taking the hit on trade value and will have to inform the individual buyer, if I were to sell it, that my truck has had "major surgery" and still be at a lost, lol ... I'd love the opportunity to have an old truck that just needed a worn out engine/transmission replaced, I'm betting my truck is going to an electrical gremlin running and repaired nightmare.

I'm supposed to be back in my truck by sometime in March, as repairs are supposed to begin today!

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I didn't mean to sound like an smart ***, my 2017 RAM 1500 RCSB has been down since last November due to an collision with an eighteen wheeler gravel truck.

The insurance won't total it and instead is going to have a new frame slapped on underneath it, then repair/replace all of the bent sheet metal(front end collision) and realign the left side door, cab and left/right front fenders, etc.

I'm mixed on having the repairs made or even if the insurance did total my truck, NADA values my truck at $21 thousand even with just 50, 000 miles and in mint condition.

It could still be totaled due to rental car, man hours for repairs and parts ...just imagine, everything from my "old trucks" frame has to be torn down and placed on the new frame, ball joints, tie rod ends, motor, transmission, rear axle, brake lines, ac/HVAC lines, radiator/condenser, rear spare tire hoist, fuel tank ... lol, the whole damn truck!

So, I guess I'll be taking the hit on trade value and will have to inform the individual buyer, if I were to sell it, that my truck has had "major surgery" and still be at a lost, lol ... I'd love the opportunity to have an old truck that just needed a worn out engine/transmission replaced, I'm betting my truck is going to an electrical gremlin running and repaired nightmare.

I'm supposed to be back in my truck by sometime in March, as repairs are supposed to begin today!
Dude I'm so sorry and I've been in the military for 17 years. I don't take offense to anything.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Oh, if you are looking for trade in values, give carvana a shot

Terribly overpriced on the buyers end, but I've found that they pay decent trade in as well

And they consider a running engine a running engine
And a knocking but running engine too
Thanks ill look into it

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'd fix it and save the money until you can more easily get what you want on the next upgrade. There's no guarantee you aren't buying someone else's problems with the next one, as well, when looking at 10 year old used trucks. Better the devil you know in this case. Especially with no more miles than you say you're driving it, fix it, keep it 3-4 years, and build your bank.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I personally plan for replacement, so if I can I typically buy new before I need, however since you may need an engine

I would not shy away from fixing or replacing a 5.7, so my vote is, if you like the truck, fix it. It's cheaper than new by a lot.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I personally plan for replacement, so if I can I typically buy new before I need, however since you may need an engine

I would not shy away from fixing or replacing a 5.7, so my vote is, if you like the truck, fix it. It's cheaper than new by a lot.
Yeah for sure and it not being my daily driver (which I probably should have noted specifically) sounds like the best plan.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah for sure and it not being my daily driver (which I probably should have noted specifically) sounds like the best plan.
Having an extra vehicle sure makes life easier

My truck is going in for an alignment tomorrow, and rather then making the wife drive me all over town, I'm just gonna slap insurance back on the duster...that oughta be fun

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
For anyone wondering here's two videos of the sound. Cold idle in 1st Video (PUP 5w30 RP filter). Warm Idle one month later in 2nd Video (PUP 5w20 Mopar Filter). No noise on decelerating with foot off gas pedal. Noise is only heard on idle and does not get louder with increased acceleration it seems beyond 1500 rpm or at least hard to hear it with windows down and music off.

Cold Idle:

Warm Idle:

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Having an extra vehicle sure makes life easier

My truck is going in for an alignment tomorrow, and rather then making the wife drive me all over town, I'm just gonna slap insurance back on the duster...that oughta be fun
Posted videos to hear it in last post ^^^

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a roller lifter roller is gone X2, and scoring the cam lobe, when you increased the idle, I could hear more than 1 crying out, shocked no misfire, make sure the VVT solenoid screen isn't clogged with metal frags, order of business pull intake plenum and valve covers and take it from there.

I wouldn't drive it anymore!!

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Sounds like a roller lifter roller is gone X2, and scoring the cam lobe, when you increased the idle, I could hear more than 1 crying out, shocked no misfire, make sure the VVT solenoid screen isn't clogged with metal frags, order of business pull intake plenum and valve covers and take it from there.

Seems there isn't a concensus on replacing an engine just because there may be metal shavings on the VVT solenoid. I probably won't even if I find some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s

Oh, also I put a stethoscope to all cylinders. I've isolated it to cylinder 1. All others do not sound like they're failed or failing. Too hard to tell without it being taken apart though.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I definitely don't prefer to scrap or sell it
Nope, I wouldn't on such an expensive item, but did scrap a Dodge Omni and a Geo Storm. Fun little cars. Used them as winter beaters for a few years while my truck at the time stayed warm and salt-free in the garage.

Maybe find a beat up rust bucket identical to your truck and pull engine and anything else of value and maybe sell some parts and end up closer to even at the end of the day. You would know if the engine is sound.

Good luck

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That right there is probably why the warranty isn't 100 days
I made sure my Ram being delivered tomorrow has 180 day warranty with an extended warranty that lasts for 3 years. By then I will have enough to either fix what craps out, or buy another good used truck. As one needs a to adopt a brand new truck. With this twin turbo 6 cyl crap, I will gladly keep my Hemi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357