Help !! Grinding Noise...Driver's Rear Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freelance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2016 Laramie Longhorn 1500.....3.92 rear axle. 57,000 miles

Had this terrible grinding noise from the left rear wheel when making really tight turns.....forward or reverse......more pronounced from a dead stop. Never made any noise while driving straight ahead. Always occurred after the truck/brakes were warmed up. Under warranty I received a new backing plate on that side's brakes. Never really fixed the problem but the grinding noise was significantly reduced. Now the truck is off warranty and the grinding noise is back. Same circumstances only the grinding is much much louder this time. I tow alot but nothing over 3000lbs.

What the hell is it ??

Should I take it back to my dealer who didn't fix it the first time....give them another shot or try somewhere else ??

Video and audio to follow.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

Had this terrible grinding noise from the left rear wheel when making really tight turns.....forward or reverse......more pronounced from a dead stop. Never made any noise while driving straight ahead. Always occurred after the truck/brakes were warmed up. Under warranty I received a new backing plate on that side's brakes. Never really fixed the problem but the grinding noise was significantly reduced. Now the truck is off warranty and the grinding noise is back. Same circumstances only the grinding is much much louder this time. I tow alot but nothing over 3000lbs.

What the hell is it ??

Should I take it back to my dealer who didn't fix it the first time....give them another shot or try somewhere else ??

Well I think you found the problem. Stop turning hard right, no more backwards driving.

Long time ago, I had a car with no reverse or power steering. That was during highschool though. Has a hard time keeping girlfriends - they got tried of pushing us back.

Really, I'd get in touch with the dealership. Check the repairs... If the noise was just when backing up, I'd suggest U-joint.

Let is know...

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Do you use and lubricate/service your emergency brake annually?

It’s common to lose the pad from the shoe, especially in salt and corrosion Regions.

OP
OP
freelance

freelance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you use and lubricate/service your emergency brake annually?

It’s common to lose the pad from the shoe, especially in salt and corrosion Regions.
No. I don't think I've ever used the emergency brake. And I'm in a salt and corrosion region.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

What the hell is it ??

I apologize for the trouble, @freelance. If you do work with your dealer again to address this, we kindly recommend following up with our Canadian Customer Care team for further support. You may either call 1-800-361-3700 or submit your info at https://forms.chryslercanada.ca/contact/en/contactCCI.php?brand=dodge to receive an email follow up.

Mark
RamCares

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my right rear caliper freeze at about 38k miles. the freezing caused my rear left to wear faster causing grinding.