Help! Keys locked inside?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Quite often the wife will hit the manual lock with her elbow getting out and doors lock even if mine is open, but they don’t lock with the electronic switches if the fob is in the truck I have push button start and keyless door locks

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's more than one locking system available on Rams which is adding to the confusion. From the 2019 DT Owners Manual:

Preventing Inadvertent Locking Of Passive Entry Key Fob In Vehicle

To minimize the possibility of unintentionally locking a Passive Entry key fob inside your vehicle, the Passive Entry system is equipped with an automatic door unlock feature which will function if the ignition switch is in the OFF position. If one of the vehicle doors is open and the door panel switch is used to lock the vehicle, once all open doors have been closed the vehicle checks the inside and outside of the vehicle for any valid Passive Entry key fobs. If one of the vehicle’s Passive Entry key fobs is detected inside the vehicle, and no other valid Passive Entry key fobs are detected outside the vehicle, the Passive Entry System automatically unlocks all vehicle doors and chirps the horn three times (on the third attempt ALL doors will lock and the Passive Entry key fob CAN BE locked in the vehicle).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84654 miles

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's more than one locking system available on Rams which is adding to the confusion. From the 2019 DT Owners Manual:

To minimize the possibility of unintentionally locking a Passive Entry key fob inside your vehicle, the Passive Entry system is equipped with an automatic door unlock feature which will function if the ignition switch is in the OFF position. If one of the vehicle doors is open and the door panel switch is used to lock the vehicle, once all open doors have been closed the vehicle checks the inside and outside of the vehicle for any valid Passive Entry key fobs. If one of the vehicle’s Passive Entry key fobs is detected inside the vehicle, and no other valid Passive Entry key fobs are detected outside the vehicle, the Passive Entry System automatically unlocks all vehicle doors and chirps the horn three times (on the third attempt ALL doors will lock and the Passive Entry key fob CAN BE locked in the vehicle).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84654 miles
X2 on this, exactly what mine does!!!

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There not in the truck. It won't lock with a fob inside.
The truck will lock with keys inside if you manually push the lock down. I've done it. One suggestion is to go to Home Depot and make a spare key just so u can get in the truck. Saved me once.

Tonino

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I have a spare fob in a magnetic case attached to my frame. Also a spare fob at home. Yeah, they are expensive, but cheaper than a locksmith. And WAY cheaper than towing your truck to a dealership if you can’t locate the lost fob.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Regards,
Dusty

Ya, that's what I mentioned above. Mine does that.

Mine also won't lock the door if you push the button outside.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
vehicles with Laminated Glass all around is almost impossible to break the glass to access the vehicle.

You might as well toss those little pointed hammer things in the drawer

now you need something like this to get a person out of a 2020 & newer vehicle

this is what happens when a rescuer does not have the right tools & the vehicles battery is dead

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the Ripper Laminated Glass Cutter would be handy to have, BUT $600 !!

I wonder if our rear slider window is still breakable ??

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have one of those little crappy hammers in the truck, don't know why? my 2014 will be tempered? I don't want to find out.
A odd time my fob , in my left pocket when I get out will not let me lock the door, it will beep when I start to walk away, always thought it was not being picked up by the truck????
I usually just pull it out and hit the lock button.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have one of those little crappy hammers in the truck, don't know why? my 2014 will be tempered? I don't want to find out.
I also have one of those little crappy hammers in my trucks. My reason is in case I come upon a wreck and need to rescue people out of their vehicles. Had to do that many times when on the police reserve. Guess it's just a carryover thing.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Used the app to start my 2022 1500 truck while in the house. Well I had mistakenly started my wife’s 2018 Grand Cherokee. Soon after she went into the garage, came back in and asked if I had started her Jeep.
I said I was starting my truck, but didn’t pay much attention when I hit the start icon.
She went back into the garage to shut it off, but the doors were locked with her key fob in the Jeep! She then said how am I going to get in it to shut it off? First I said, well we are home and the spare set is in the kitchen.
But I used the app to undo the start up and unlocked the door.
So there is one way to lock your key in the vehicle!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck will lock with keys inside if you manually push the lock down. I've done it. One suggestion is to go to Home Depot and make a spare key just so u can get in the truck. Saved me once.

Tonino
You are correct. I just did some testing.

1. If you exit the drivers door and push the driver's door lock button down before closing, the drivers' door will remain locked while the fob is still in the vehicle. In this scenario if the other doors are unlocked, they will remain unlocked.

2. If you exit the drivers door and push the driver's door lock button down before closing and the other doors are also locked, the drivers' and other doors will remain locked while the fob is still in the vehicle.

Keep in mind that this is a DT (5th gen) with the passive system and set to 'all doors lock,' and 'all doors unlock' when using the fob.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84721 miles

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thank you all for your responses. Some of you were correct. You can infact lock your fob in the center console. That’s where we found them after the locksmith opened the door.

I have a key taped to the underside of the truck and a spare fob in the truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Zoe, did you know that the FOB you leave in or under the vehicle while your away from it, is constantly pinging the Rams Body Control Module ?
This could allow 2 things to happen
1) it could drain your battery, because the Pinging is Communicating
2) if you happen to be in an area where thieves are using that electronic device that catches signals, they could unlock your vehicle.

I could see leaving the FOB where it currently is, but i would remove the FOBs battery from the FOB
but i live in a large town, in the San Diego out skirts

george55378

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all:

I went hiking this morning and at the end of the day I could not get back into my truck! The thing is, I got the truck to the trailhead, so I definitely had them then.

They might be in the camper, but we looked everywhere. They might be in the truck. (Can they be in the truck? Wouldn’t the doors open?)

I only brought the one key. What are my options?

Halp!!View attachment 514003
My chihuahua locked me out of mine. He stepped on driver door **** switch. Key was on seat! Had to call my wife to bring spare key. You think my little guy could of at least pushed the lock button again. NOPE! He just sat in truck happy to see me. That little ********! 2015 RAM 1500. Non push button start. Lesson learned. I now keep door key in wallet.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have a spare fob in a magnetic case attached to my frame. Also a spare fob at home. Yeah, they are expensive, but cheaper than a locksmith. And WAY cheaper than towing your truck to a dealership if you can’t locate the lost fob.
If you don't take the battery out of the FOB and park the truck for a week you will have a flat battery, especially in this area where it is cold. The live FOB does not allow the truck to go to sleep properly and draws enough power to make the truck not start. It also means that if someone breaks into the truck and hits the start button, truck will fire right up.

P.S. Should have read all the way to the end, I see GT already posted this. Oh well, twice said is better than not said.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Zoe, did you know that the FOB you leave in or under the vehicle while your away from it, is constantly pinging the Rams Body Control Module ?
This could allow 2 things to happen
1) it could drain your battery, because the Pinging is Communicating
2) if you happen to be in an area where thieves are using that electronic device that catches signals, they could unlock your vehicle.

I could see leaving the FOB where it currently is, but i would remove the FOBs battery from the FOB
but i live in a large town, in the San Diego out skirts
Thanks, I didn't know that.