Spring inside remote? What for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Hey all!

I finally had to replace the battery in my 2020 RAM. 5 years on one battery I thought was pretty good. After popping open the cover on the remote I found a strange spring mechanism that didn't seem to have any purpose. Anyone have any idea? Just looking at it from the pick below you'd think it's the right side of the mechanism that moves, but rather it's the left side. And there is nothing inside the remote that would seemingly touch either side. Nothing on the cover. And no paths leading up to that point to apply pressure to it. It can't act as an opening tension part, as the cover doesn't slide. Just seems odd to be there.

1704551091523.png

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Possibly a spring-loaded pawl that applies pressure to the inside of the cover after it is snapped back into place to keep it snug?

OP
OP
Narg

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I thought about that, but there is no point under the cover to apply pressure that I can see.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I thought about that, but there is no point under the cover to apply pressure that I can see.
Well, if it's removable without breaking anything try taking it out and putting your fob back together and see if anything changes.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
doesn't the other half have a physical key in it ? I'd assume the spring is there to help push out the key ( or lock it in place)

just my thoughts

see here:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
doesn't the other half have a physical key in it ? I'd assume the spring is there to help push out the key ( or lock it in place)

just my thoughts

see here:

On mine, like the video my physical key is held in place by a spring-loaded button on the side of the fob, not the end. Other than that, it just snaps into place. I do see that the fob in the video also has the spring in the OP's picture.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all!

I finally had to replace the battery in my 2020 RAM. 5 years on one battery I thought was pretty good. After popping open the cover on the remote I found a strange spring mechanism that didn't seem to have any purpose. Anyone have any idea? Just looking at it from the pick below you'd think it's the right side of the mechanism that moves, but rather it's the left side. And there is nothing inside the remote that would seemingly touch either side. Nothing on the cover. And no paths leading up to that point to apply pressure to it. It can't act as an opening tension part, as the cover doesn't slide. Just seems odd to be there.

Does the key slide into the FOB anywhere near to this spring?

I have a similar spring mechanism that holds and releases the key on my FOB.

20240106_151408.jpg

You can see a notch in the key where the pawl from this mechanism rests when closed.

And the release button under the mechanism.

20240106_152134.jpg

We must have way too much time on our hands. :cool:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd open mine and do some fiddling with it, but I have electrical tape wrapped around it. If I lean against it, the 5 keys keys on the ring with the fob can either set off the panic alarm or randomly lock and unlock my tailgate and the tape makes the buttons harder to press.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd open mine and do some fiddling with it, but I have electrical tape wrapped around it. If I lean against it, the 5 keys keys on the ring with the fob can either set off the panic alarm or randomly lock and unlock my tailgate and the tape makes the buttons harder to press.

After numerous unexpected panic alarms, I disassembled mine and placed an O ring over the contact area on the pcb.

It has definitely reduced the frequency of the panic episodes but if I'm loading wood or any other vigorous events, the FOB can't stay in my jeans pocket.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
First off, OP fob is for a 1500. Second he should of posted the entire unit in the pic.
Here's the 1500 fob below. Key is inserted from the opposite end of the gizmo in question. The spring-loaded gizmo spring loads the key so when you hit the key release it self ejects. Like magic.

Screenshot_20240106_162120_Google.jpg

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
After numerous unexpected panic alarms, I disassembled mine and placed an O ring over the contact area on the pcb.

It has definitely reduced the frequency of the panic episodes but if I'm loading wood or any other vigorous events, the FOB can't stay in my jeans pocket.
Yeah, that's why I now have mine on one of these and just hang it from my belt loop. I had to do something, I couldn't get them in my pocket. Those fobs are a PITA.

1704577392334.jpeg

DutchRamRepair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are alternative keys, aftermarket, different styles.
I use these, to test keyless entry, and if i dont have a certain key in stock.
Some brand are more slim, with or without panic button.
Remote start button, is not always present on these.

If there is a locksmith in your area, you could ask him.

And your oem keys, will stay like new, and safe at home.

Google these:
XSKF30EN , strong and slim.
Or this SW-007 watch, a gadget, you can realy use it as a key. Works on Ram V.

Last edited: