Help me configure a truck for towing a trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamTuffMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Howdy,

I’m about to order a RAM 1500 from the factory. It will be my daily driver and also occasionally tow a travel trailer that has a base weight of 5600 lbs, maximum trailer capacity of 7300 lbs, and hitch weight of 835 lbs. As this will be my first truck and travel trailer I want to make sure that the truck is properly outfitted for safely towing (and stopping) the trailer. I know many will recommend to step up to the 2500 but I live in the suburbs where parking will be difficult enough with the 1500.

Here are some of the features I think I want:
RAM 1500 limited edition ( which comes with 4-corner air suspension)
4x4
5’7” bed
Limited level 1 equipment group

Here’s what I’m not sure about:

Engine - thinking 5.7 V8 Hemi but should it be with or without e-torque?

Gear ratio - thinking 3.92 for trailering purposes but is that too high for my trailer?

Trailer-tow group - thinking I’ll skip this and just get the trailer brake control separately and then add on auxiliary side mirrors when towing. Does this seem like a good plan? I like the idea of having the extra cameras that wouldn’t otherwise be available if I get the mirrors that come with the trailer tow group.

Wheels - thinking I’ll stick with the 20” standard wheels as I prefer their appearance but are 22” wheels somehow better for towing or provide a better ride in general?

33 gallon gas tank - is this worth having ? What are the trade offs?

Axel options - is it worth having the electronic locking rear axel or anti-spin differential rear axel?

Are there any other options worth considering? I’m willing to spend the money on any necessary options if they are needed for towing. I understand that options come with a trade off of adding weight to the vehicle which then takes away from towing and hauling capabilities.

Apologies in advance if there’s already a thread that provides these recommendations. And thanks in advance for anyone’s advice.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
if you ask the payload police you can't tow with anything less than a 3500 dually H.O. CTD w/4.10 .. LOL!

Sounds like you'll have a fine truck for pulling that trailer. Stick with the 20"s and you'll want the larger 33 gallon tank(towing fuel economy will hover around 10). Truthfully the eTorque Hemi or not is a personal preference but I don't see it making much difference while towing.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
That sounds like a pretty good setup if it's you and one other person. If your tongue weight is around 835 that leaves roughly 600lbs for you, your passengers and whatever you're taking with you in the truck (payload max for a 1500 with the Hemi is around 1450 or 1500lbs I think). The 3.92 will be fine to tow that trailer. You'll need a weight distribution hitch, I'm sure plenty of folks here will chime in from experience.

Last edited:

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you'll want a WDH preferably with antisway.....I use a Reese DC.

3.92 gears are ideal for towing.

People that recommend 2500's are correct from a payload perspective as they handle the tounge weight and bed load of junk in stride.

5.7 Hemi will have no problem but buy your firewood at the campground and enjoy.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The electronic locking rear differential adds $550 to the price and you will get at least half of that back when you sell the truck. Check the towing capacity for the truck with the different engines and gear ratios. For example with the V-6 the standard 3.21 gears limit tow capacity to 6400 lbs but the same engine with the 3.55 gears provides 7400 lbs of tow capacity. I would pass on the etorque which is going to be very expensive to replace when it fails and provides a negligible gain in fuel economy.

I always want the largest fuel tank I can get as this makes for more options as to when and where to stop for gas. If I can fill up before hitching up the trailer and make it to a destination and then back home without a fuel stop, so much the better. There are also gas stations where it is very difficult to get in with a trailer in tow and nice to be able to go down the road to a better one with no worries about running out of gas - not something you want to do when towing a trailer.

At least with my vehicles the fuel consumption would increase by 25% or more when towing with all the air drag from the trailer and so my range was reduced by 25% as well. It used to be that you could buy a replacement tank that was larger than the factory gas tank but this is no longer possible (OK for diesel fuel tanks).

Today's half ton pickups surpass the capabilities of 3/4 ton pickups from years past but people still think that they need a 2500 class truck to tow a 8,000 lb trailer load. Over 10,000 lbs then a 2500 truck is worthwhile and over 13,000 lbs I would want a 2500 class truck with a diesel V-8 engine to get the exhaust brake and greater torque.

Larger tires hurt fuel economy as there is more mass to spin and this takes more power from the engine. I have replaced the tires on my trucks to get all terrain ones or to increase the payload capacity for the rear wheels. I added 1100 lbs of payload capacity to my current 2500 truck by changing out the factory tires.