Help, need an OEM radio with code, can't unlock mine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OK, so I bought a VP1 radio of EBay and can't seem to get the code due to no vin available. Does anyone have a take out flatback VP2/RA2 with the code (or vin # so I can buy the code online) that they might like to sell? My truck is a 2018 and I'd really like to upgrade to VR / handsfree.

Last edited:
OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Or does someone possibly know how or where to obtain a security code using the numbers on the actual radio label without having the vin# of the donor vehicle?

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bought my 5.0 Uconnect from eBay to replace my 3.0. It came from a salvage/ recycle yard. They gave me the VIN from the donor. My local dealership required the VIN and the Serial Number from the radio to get me the code. If the seller doesn't have the VIN, return it. It's worthless without it.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought my 5.0 Uconnect from eBay to replace my 3.0. It came from a salvage/ recycle yard. They gave me the VIN from the donor. My local dealership required the VIN and the Serial Number from the radio to get me the code. If the seller doesn't have the VIN, return it. It's worthless without it.

You are absolutely correct about it being useless with no vin! Seller already refunded my money but I was just trying not to toss the radio. If I got the code I would give the seller the difference in price. How much (if I may ask) is a salvage 5.0 from a salvage yard?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks
RadioCode

Just need the PN and SN of the radio

M² Mods.

Thanks Mpgrimm2 , the crazy thing is this RA1 doesn't come up on their drop down list. So I emailed them and sent them a photo of the label and they responded that they can't supply a code for this radio.
Go figure

Last edited by a moderator:

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Maybe the VIN is to check for theft. My dealer did require it and the seller said they would.

The salvage yard charged me $90 for the 5.0 radio. I can send you their name if you want.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Maybe the VIN is to check for theft. My dealer did require it and the seller said they would.

The salvage yard charged me $90 for the 5.0 radio. I can send you their name if you want.

Yes please, thank you :)

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The VIN and radio SN are used to create the anti-theft code for most recent FCA radios which is then verified by the PCM of most vehicles. A code from a radio removed from a different vehicle is not going to work. You either need the original code, or have someone generate the code from the donor vehicle VIN and radio SN. You may also need the new vehicle VIN for the process.

I believe you can put a newer radio into an older vehicle that doesn't use codes and it should work, if the electrics and data bus are compatible. The code verification is done by the PCM, and if the PCM is not expecting a code to unlock the radio, its just going to work.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The VIN and radio SN are used to create the anti-theft code for most recent FCA radios which is then verified by the PCM of most vehicles. A code from a radio removed from a different vehicle is not going to work. You either need the original code, or have someone generate the code from the donor vehicle VIN and radio SN. You may also need the new vehicle VIN for the process.

I believe you can put a newer radio into an older vehicle that doesn't use codes and it should work, if the electrics and data bus are compatible. The code verification is done by the PCM, and if the PCM is not expecting a code to unlock the radio, its just going to work.

Thanks for the totally knowledgeable explanation, now I get the idea on how it works.

This is why I love this Forum!!!

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Problem solved!!! The seller was really nice and somehow was able to track down the security code. I installed the radio and waited the 30 minutes for it to unlock, entered the code he supplied. I must have gotten really lucky because it light-up first time, Sirius came on and no problems at all. Sent the funds back to the seller and all is good.

Walker Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penti
Just leaving my experience here. I picked up a VP2 unit from my local junkyard ($125) in great condition. Called a few dealers and they said I had to bring it in to get a code. I purchased a code using the link MPGrimm2 posted above and got a code. After plugging in the radio, the thing fired right up and did not even ask for a code. Still had previous owners phone in memory etc....so maybe save a few dollars and try your luck before buying any codes....my truck came with the VP2, the previous owner decided to replace it with some aftermarket junk that was a total pos.

Walker

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

Terry2014RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have factory RA4 8.4AN that I had repaired a while ago and it works great. I am swapping over to the new Car play version 8.4. I am wanting to sell RA4 and I got a code for it, but it doesn't work. Could it be that during the repair they had changed something inside that made the code not work?
I have pulled the unit out and have it powered up on my test bench and it is asking for a code, I type the pin code that I received and the radio says it is invalid. The radio does work fine when installed into the truck.
Any way to extract the anti theft pin while it is installed in the truck, since the truck knows what the pin is?

thank you