Help needed for engine oil - 5w-20 or 0w-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey!

Since my retailer now have stop selling Gulf ultrasynth 5w-20 and are now recommending 0w-20 I looking for your thoughts on the matter, since my car has been recommeded from factory to use 5w-20 and, its inprinted on the oil cap also, should I really change to 0w-20?...

I have cold starts (under 32 f) perhaps 5-6 months per year so I really need a good oil for coldstarts.

What do you guys think...

Dodge ram 1500, 2008 year, hemi 5,7

Thanks for any response.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
5W30 or 0W30 quality synthetic oil - you could go HPL Super Car 0W30 or Red Line High Performance 5W30, but both are costly.

Or, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 and a small container of BioTech Lubegard.
Use a good oil filter, too.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So a 5w-30 oil is Ok to use for my hemi?
Any pro here who could say how much the difference is between 20 and 30, ie if anything bad could happen to the engine.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Literally a thread on this. RL 5w30 is the best oil to use.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
5W-30 was the specified 5.7 oil until 2005; with the intro of the MDS hemi in the cars, they switched all 5.7's to 5W-20 (just to be the same oil weight). You have an MDS hemi, so your manual (and oil cap) will specify 5W-20. 5W-30 definitely won't hurt the engine. MDS may or may not function correctly; this has been a point of contention over the years, with some claiming it affects it and some claiming it had no effect whatsoever.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But why the change to 0w-20 as dodge now recommends for my car? What has happend for them to change the recommendation.
Thanks for any answers.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have cold starts (under 32 f) perhaps 5-6 months per year so I really need a good oil for coldstarts.

Judging by your user name you're in Alaska? If so, HPL Premium Plus is pricey but absolutely excels at cold starts with a pour point of -72F. HPL makes different formula's for different reasons, the PP line is specifically for cold weather but it is a premium oil and will outperform anything else off the shelf in walmart.

In the winter I'd run the 0w-30, or the 0w-20 if you're concerned about going too thick.

Edit: Actually, I just saw you're running a pretty old engine, I might advise against using HPL right away as it is a potent cleaner and might start to disturb carbon/deposits in your engine too quickly. HPL recommends using 1 quart of their cleaner for an OCI or two first before running their oil directly in old engines with high miles as the dedicated cleaner product cleans more slowly than the actual oil they sell like PP. So the better approach would be to run one quart of their cleaner and use something like PUP for the base oil, then after 1 or 2 OCI's at 5000 miles each start running something like the PP full strength.

Engine Cleaner is here:

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Judging by your user name you're in Alaska? If so, HPL Premium Plus is pricey but absolutely excels at cold starts with a pour point of -72F. HPL makes different formula's for different reasons, the PP line is specifically for cold weather but it is a premium oil and will outperform anything else off the shelf in walmart.

In the winter I'd run the 0w-30, or the 0w-20 if you're concerned about going too thick.

Edit: Actually, I just saw you're running a pretty old engine, I might advise against using HPL right away as it is a potent cleaner and might start to disturb carbon/deposits in your engine too quickly. HPL recommends using 1 quart of their cleaner for an OCI or two first before running their oil directly in old engines with high miles as the dedicated cleaner product cleans more slowly than the actual oil they sell like PP. So the better approach would be to run one quart of their cleaner and use something like PUP for the base oil, then after 1 or 2 OCI's at 5000 miles each start running something like the PP full strength.

Engine Cleaner is here:
In the cleaner OCI would you or does HPL recommend filter changes during the run?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Engine Cleaner is here:
Also don't forget RamForum members get a discount on HPL with code RAMFORUM15

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the answers.
Yes, its Alaskan driving conditions. The specified is 5w-20, but gulf's recommending 0w-20 now. I'm leaning against that 0w-20. Why change summer viscosity? Isnt 20 best for my engine?
And regarding 0w, 5w or even 10w, feels like such a small difference, I would be more worried about changing the summer/hot temp viscosity, since that's the quality that's most used while driving. Am I wrong?

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since the warranty is out for my old truck it feels like the manufacturer doesnt care any more to recommend what's the best oil for My engine. Cause the same oil is beeing recommended for newer rams. Don't wanna ruin a perfectly good hemi engine cause of a bad oil. Only got 70k miles on the truck, works like new.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Hey!

Since my retailer now have stop selling Gulf ultrasynth 5w-20 and are now recommending 0w-20 I looking for your thoughts on the matter, since my car has been recommeded from factory to use 5w-20 and, its inprinted on the oil cap also, should I really change to 0w-20?...

What do you guys think...

Dodge ram 1500, 2008 year, hemi 5,7

Thanks for any response.

If this link doesn't have enough info, no one can help you further.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the answers.
Yes, its Alaskan driving conditions. The specified is 5w-20, but gulf's recommending 0w-20 now. I'm leaning against that 0w-20. Why change summer viscosity? Isnt 20 best for my engine?
And regarding 0w, 5w or even 10w, feels like such a small difference, I would be more worried about changing the summer/hot temp viscosity, since that's the quality that's most used while driving. Am I wrong?

There are 2 ratings to the oil, a winter grade and a hot grade. The 0w is the rating of the flow of the oil at cold temps (0F), the 20 or 30 determines the viscosity range when its hot (100C).

0w-20 means it will work/flow better in the cold vs a 5w-20, but they will work the same in the summer as they both share the same hot rating of 20.

You're in Alaska, the move to 0w-20 makes more sense than 5w-20. However I'd be running a 0w-30 if I were you.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Why not something like PUP 5w30 as it has a pour point of -48 according to a 5/2020 pdf I just read on the Shell web site, if one needs an oil with lower pour point then an oil pan heater is in need, a block heater or both...

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are 2 ratings to the oil, a winter grade and a hot grade. The 0w is the rating of the flow of the oil at cold temps (0F), the 20 or 30 determines the viscosity range when its hot (100C).

0w-20 means it will work/flow better in the cold vs a 5w-20, but they will work the same in the summer as they both share the same hot rating of 20.

You're in Alaska, the move to 0w-20 makes more sense than 5w-20. However I'd be running a 0w-30 if I were you.
Yes I'm aware of the meaning the oil's viscosity ratings.
Could you elaborate why you'd use 0w-30. Isnt 20 good enough when hot?