help please - electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acm8228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 series
My brake lights and turn signals have quit working. we have replaced fuses, switches, check bulbs, etc...... can anyone give me some suggestions on what to look for. I have checked with two mechanics and they were unable to help. I am desperate. Thank you

DJ_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Sport Off Road
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Did you try replacing the hazard/flasher relay in the fuse box?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF

Internet diagnostics are sometimes dicey, and when you say you replaced all these parts I am led to believe that would be brake light switch, turn signal relays, all related fuses etc.

I would look for bad grounds...run a voltage check at the light sockets and see if you get a reading with the brake pedal deppressed...should be at least 11+ volts.

If you don't, you have a ground issue. There are 2 ground straps un at the front of the bed that ground the bed to the frame...these are uninsulated so over time they fray and corrode away. There should also be a ground from your wiring harness or trailer plug if you have one to the frame above the spare. If it appears rusted or corroded you need to remove, clean and reinstall. BTW you can help stop future issues by painting or applying liquid rubber over the new connection

There is also a lighting harness ground under the battery tray...Stupit Dodge...right where all the battery acid fumes fall. I've had to clean and repaint mine twice. Actually some Rams have two ground studs under there.

Keep doing voltage checks until things start working again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank