Electrical Issues out the *****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YourThighness93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good afternoon y'all...

I have a 2016 ram 1500 with the 5.7.

My problems started a few weeks ago when I got a P1033 code for the IAT. I replaced the sensor, and cleaned my air filter. The problem would originally come and go, but it got more consistent. Living in the south, I would reset the code with my scanner to be able to use my remote start to cool my engine prior to me getting in it. I noted a few times prior once i plugged my code scanner in, it would say service.. Some times it was the throttle system. But the problem went away.

This evening after getting off my ambulance, and i was going to clear the code so I could remote start it, because it was 93 out, and I plugged my scanner in and went to turn the ignition to ACC to clear the code, and I had no power. Like my battery was dead. So I pulled the scanner off, and then the power came back. So I attempted to replug the scanner in, and I started getting all kind of service lights. It was Shifter, A/B system, ABS, Trailer brake system, and P/S syste. It also said service shifter system do not shift or turn engine off until a safe place is reached, as the engine might not start again. I pulled off the code scanner and the engine turned back on. It started with no issues, but left a few U codes.

I talked to my cousin back home who works at a garage. He said he believes that it is a bad ground, and to get it checked out. He also warned me about shops that will just say it s the ECU and replaced that and the problems wont go away.

So my main question is, is there anyway to find if any of these systems share a ground location, and if so where to find it. I have looked online, and I will be honest, I am a bit of a novice with mechanical things, but electrical systems scare and confuse me. Thank you in advance.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The IAT Sensor, Intake Air Temperature Sensor,

What are the Possible Causes of the Code P0113 Dodge?​

• Faulty Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor
  • Dirty air filter
  • Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor circuit poor electrical connection
The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is built into mass air flow sensor or in some vehicles mounted to the air filter duct housing. The sensor detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).The temperature sensing unit uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. Electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases in response to the temperature rise. The Intake Air Temperature signal is used as an input for various systems in the vehicle.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As for the issue of when you plug your scanner and stuff goes crazy. Well your scanner is probably shot/shorting out when you plug it in had that happen to me on a few older scanners.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum. Let’s start with the simplest thing first. How old is your truck battery? You would be surprised how a weak battery affects computer systems on newer vehicles. You said it was 93 outside and while that’s not horrible heat takes its toll on batteries. I’d check the condition of the battery before anything else. You can have a battery load tested at most of the major parts retailers like Advance or AutoZone.

You also stated the MIL code was a P1033. I’m not familiar with that code so I looked it up. It’s kinda obscure. P1033 is for ISA circuits, whatever that is. Could the code possibly be P0133?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome to the forum. Let’s start with the simplest thing first. How old is your truck battery? You would be surprised how a weak battery affects computer systems on newer vehicles. You said it was 93 outside and while that’s not horrible heat takes its toll on batteries. I’d check the condition of the battery before anything else. You can have a battery load tested at most of the major parts retailers like Advance or AutoZone.

You also stated the MIL code was a P1033. I’m not familiar with that code so I looked it up. It’s kinda obscure. P1033 is for ISA circuits, whatever that is. Could the code possibly be P0133?

See also post #2. ( P0113 )

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your battery connections too. If you've got a loose connector moving around it will cause all sorts of intermittent issues.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your battery connections too. If you've got a loose connector moving around it will cause all sorts of intermittent issues.
As stated above, all that sounds like a battery going bad and/or bad cable somewhere. As far as scanner, if U hook up and it Blocks things, scanner subject. ALL IMHO.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The original IAT related code and then all of the issues when you plug in the scanner may very well be completely unrelated. In regards to the thing going flaky when you plug in the scanner, well, I would first look at the scanner causing the issues. If you are saying there are no issues or codes and as soon as you plug in the scanner all those issues popup, again I would be suspect of the scanner itself. It could be shorting out either internally or through the connector. Especially if the truck always starts up and runs fine otherwise I would not be suspect of the battery? Especially if you have an older or cheaper scanner and have been using it a lot recently. I would try to get ahold of another scanner and plug it in and see what happens.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
cleaned my air filter.

My thoughts agree with @62Blazer , I’d look into the battery as well as cables and try a different scanner.

But what does the above mean? Standard filters are replacement items. Are you running an oiled filter? Those can cause issues with intake MAF sensors and perhaps relate to the original issue.

I think it’s unlikely the first problem and the subsequent electrical gremlins are related.