Help please...front suspension upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2010 RAM Big Horn with 36,000k miles. It had 14,000k miles when I bought it from a friend two years ago. I'd like to improve the ride because it has become very skittish at highway speeds when hitting uneven surfaces, potholes, and the like. Any suggestions on what parts and brands to consider?

Advanced thanks,
Tom

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any clicking or noises?

36k miles is awfully young for anything to wear out under normal circumstances - might be best to head to an alignment shop and ask them to inspect it as diagnosis by internet could be a pretty fruitless endeavor.

The usual go-to for front struts on 4wd's are Bilsteins, partially because they're a very good product without being priced out of reach for average drivers and partially because they can be used to lift the front of the vehicle a little bit if desired. If you end up needing new struts you could do a lot worse than that brand, anyway. :cheers:

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any clicking or noises?

36k miles is awfully young for anything to wear out under normal circumstances - might be best to head to an alignment shop and ask them to inspect it as diagnosis by internet could be a pretty fruitless endeavor.

The usual go-to for front struts on 4wd's are Bilsteins, partially because they're a very good product without being priced out of reach for average drivers and partially because they can be used to lift the front of the vehicle a little bit if desired. If you end up needing new struts you could do a lot worse than that brand, anyway. :cheers:

I agree about the mileage and need for replacement. The truck sat most of its years due to the owner's declining health. I sometimes wonder if it's just the seals drying out on the struts. IDK, wear aside, I just want to improve the ride and handling mannerisms if possible.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the money to spend. Upgrade the front struts with Bilstiens 5100.

And for the rear there are a couple of components worth upgrading that will really improve the ride of your truck depending on your budget. Look into the following:

-Hellwig 7709 rear sway bar
-Core 4x4 upper and lower rear control arms
-Core 4x4 sway bar end links

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have the money to spend. Upgrade the front struts with Bilstiens 5100.

And for the rear there are a couple of components worth upgrading that will really improve the ride of your truck depending on your budget. Look into the following:

-Hellwig 7709 rear sway bar
-Core 4x4 upper and lower rear control arms
-Core 4x4 sway bar end links

Good stuff, MoparBrent! Thanks.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the truck a 4x4 or a 2wd? The recommendations would be different depending
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then I think MoparBrent's advise is spot on
Jay

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, thanks Pull Ya. And what do you and MoparBrent suggest for the front suspension?
Sorry I jumped the gun and forgot to ask the 4x4 or 2wd question. But if you’re fine with a small level on the front end then bilstein 5100 are great and very popular on our trucks

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I jumped the gun and forgot to ask the 4x4 or 2wd question. But if you’re fine with a small level on the front end then bilstein 5100 are great and very popular on our trucks

I thought about adding a level kit but think I'll keep it OEM. I do load up the bed quite a bit at times so that's a consideration. I'll look into the Bilstein 5100s. Any opinion on upgrading sway bar, bushings, springs or other parts?