Help please, Swaping Hemi 5.7 due to hydrolock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

projnostic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I'm new to this and am looking for instructions on how to remove everything and what to do. I lost the motor and have a replacement ready to go in. I am doing this myself as I am a poor student. lol and write ups or a list of what to do would be greatly appreciated.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
First of all:
05 FSM
05 Parts Man
You will need these. Disconnect the battery. Take pictures, the more detail the better. When you do start removing stuff, LABEL EVERYTHING. Bag your fasteners, then LABEL WHAT THEY ARE FOR. This is in CAPS because this is where people screw up the most. They go to put it back together and then stand there scratching their head wondering 'where does this go?'. Read the FSM in detail, but this is pretty much how it will go:
1. Put it where you're going to work on it. Unless you have ALOT of help, don't expect to move it for awhile.
2. Disconnect the battery.
3. Take your pictures in and around the engine.
4. Label everything that will be disconnected or removed; wires, parts, etc.
5. Drain coolant, disconnect/remove everything connected to the radiator, as this will be coming out along with the shroud, mech fan and puke tank.
6. In the FSM is proper way to bleed down your fuel system. Then you need to disconnect the supply line from the rail on the intake.
7. Disconnect your accessories, On some of these it will be easier to remove it from the engine, i.e leave the A/C compressor ******* out of the way so you don't have to screw with refrigerant. Disconnect alternator and power steering pump.
8. Disconnect exhaust from manifolds. WD40 or PB Blaster (some form of penetrant) will be your friend here, as these generally don't like to come apart. Soak them the day before if you can swing it.
Time to pull the 10 miles of wiring connected to the engine. This will include all 8 coil packs, all 8 injectors, EGR, throttle body, temp and knock sensors, ground straps and your air inlet temp sensor (I'm sure I left something out). You might be able to pull the engine with the harness attached, but I don't know where else it goes offhand so you'd have to disconnect all that too. LABEL LABEL LABEL.
9. Time to hit the back end; there is a support girdle of sorts that also covers the the torque converter bolts, this will need to come out.
10. Torque converter bolts, 4 of them. Best thing to do is put a big socket on the crank bolt to hold it in place. Of course if it's still hydrolocked you might not have to...
11. Remove bellhousing bolts, be ready with something to support engine (either from under or with cherry picker). Also ensure you have transmission support as it will take one helluva nose dive once you wiggle the engine loose.
12. Unbolt engine mounts. At this point once you've wiggled the engine far enough forward to disengage it from the trans you should be able to start lifting it out. I have heard mixed opinions on whether the engine can be lifted out without removing the hood. What I will see is if you remove the core support up front (where the hood latch is) it will give you much more room to move the engine forward. Your choice.
13. Installation is all this stuff backwards. I'm sure I missed something, but that's the bulk of it in a nutshell.

On a side note, since you will have the engine out AND you are blessed with one of the best years for custom tuning...since you are a poor student, understandably you cannot afford a 392 stroker (hell I can't afford one). A cam swap would be a good thing to do while you have the engine out, there would be no easier time to do it, even if it was just a 6.1 or comp 260. You can use Diablo or SCT to load up a custom tune and have that thing run like a beast. Just some ideas. If you tell us where you are someone might be able to offer assistance. Good luck & keep us posted!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

projnostic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow great response time. Thanks I appreciate ya, started taking everything apart and wasn't labeling anything so I will def go back and label what i remove tomorrow and those items i do remember. I will be undertaking this tomorrow and hoping to have her running by Monday. I am in Tomah Wisconsin. No time for further paint or cam, gotta have her running for school.

Attachments

• 0629122047b.jpg
    0629122047b.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,179
  • downloadiug.jpg
    downloadiug.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Too bad about the cam, I see you got headers though.

OP
OP
P

projnostic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok all set to pull motor out but unsure as to where i hook cherry picker to??? use straps? any advice?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Either get 2 straps in a good stable spot around the front and back or find something cast iron to bolt a chain to (NOT the aluminum heads). I haven't had to yank one of these out yet, but it looks like you could take a strap under the water pump on the front cover and another across the back under the heads. The manual (you DID download it, right?) probably mentions some sort of jig or fixture to do it with.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are a few tips and gotchas that I've encountered after putting a 5.7 hemi engine into my truck (2 times).

1. There is a thin metal plate between the engine and trans. Don't forget to put that back before bolting up the trans to the engine. And once it's in place, ensure there are no bent sections. Despite the converter spinning by hand and none of the bolts touching anything, things flex after about 5 seconds of run time and let me tell you, it sure makes a lot of deceiving noise. So much noise it'll make you change a header gasket, pull off the valve cover...and sweat bullets thinking bearings went out on the initial crank.

2. The oil dipstick tube goes through the engine mount. Install that before lowering the engine into the truck. It doesn't take but about 5 seconds to debate pulling the tab off the dipstick that bolts it to the block by the entry point so you can slide the dipstick through the engine mount once the engine is fully bolted in. Besides, there is still one more bolt holding down the dipstick.

3. If using a new oil pump, put a tad bit of gear oil in it to help prime it. To take it a little farther (thanks to hemidup's suggestion), take some sort of mechanical pump and hook up some hose to one in and put it in a qt of oil, and the other end connect to the oil pressure sending switch hole. I used a 1/4" NPT barbed fitting. With a mechanical pump, use the shaft/drill method to send some oil through the galleys. I had a low volume electric oil pump that did very well. I did this after waiting 10 seconds for oil pressure to see nothing move on my gauge. Though that is fine if everything is lubed properly at build time...but I sure had a lot of money in the engine to watch it run w/o oil. lol.

4. After the rockers and pushrods have been installed, turn the engine over with your tq wrench via the damper bolt. Give it a few full rotations. If your pushrod is going to fall out from improper seating, more than likely it will pop out of place at this step. This is also a good step if you've installed a cam.

5. You can't put the driver side head on (engine in the truck) with a JBA header attached IF and that's IF you have studs!

6. The head gaskets are marked with a T for top and must be matched LEFT and RIGHT side. Look at the two holes in the corner of the gasket to match them up if you don't know left and right. Though I did not personally experience this as I did the above, a friend of mine found out the hard way.

7. Excellent Tip : If you are pulling the engine out, go buy a bag of ziplock bags and a perm marker. Label label label label and label. Did I mention Label? Even if ONE bolt is used for something, put it in its own bag!!!! For example : "Ground strap bolt on front driver side of engine". Â Masking tape every connector and clearly write its function/location.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I knew someone would chime in...and he repeated the same thing I did lol.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Humm white is a diff color for sure. They bout covered ya sorry for the late look on it. Best of luck and extra hands make the process easier. If your a 2wd its a breese, 4x4 is a diff story.

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good luck with the swap, and not to high jack your thread, but how is tomah these days. I am originally BRF.

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
Don't forget the bolt in the back of the AC pump and break it off like I did :)

IMG_0451.jpg

If you take off the intake there are dedicated lift points cast into the block underneath, you can see them in the middle of this pic:

IMG_0446.jpg

How I took mine out

IMG_0449.jpg.

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
^Welcome bud, you will see alot of the compressors like that on the first cam swap lol

OP
OP
P

projnostic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck with the swap, and not to high jack your thread, but how is tomah these days. I am originally BRF.

Seriously?? I'm originally from Hemet CA and the Redondo Beach area. Tomah is growing but Fort McCoy is no longer a MOB site just training center so they dropped 3500 jobs and that hurt the area a bit.

Swap went fanastic, shame about the limited time woulda loved to cam it but everything went very well. Will post pics once downloaded.

Thanks and God bless.

OP
OP
P

projnostic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, broke off that bolt on compressor too.!!!

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
Yup, broke off that bolt on compressor too.!!!

Told you so :) another one is the oil dipstick, you cannot mount it when the motor mount is on, had to lift up my block from the truck when I realised I forgot to put it on :)

OP
OP
P

projnostic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
and even then the dipstick never seems to move rite after!! lol