HELP!! PLEASE!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueDemionDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I hope im posting this in the right area since i didnt see where to post help request...

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Sport and i have ran into a full brick wall that i cant figure out and feel my mechanic has mislead me.

So I'm going to use estimated dates because my notebook with everything hand written in my truck which is stuck in Nebraska so please excuse the time line.

So approx. 2 months ago I got home from work then hand to run to the store and then came back home and backed in my driveway and then went to leave the next morning to go to work, well i had crank no fire. So i looked it up on google and tried to figure out the problem. I replaced all spark plugs & wires then i was still in the same boat so then i replaced the distributor & coil & the other part within that area and again i had crank no fire. So after watching more videos and reaching out to a friend that has a dodge 2500 he told me to check the PCM/ECM and which then when i pull the GREY plug out it was burnt with a brown liquid substance on the "AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY OUTPUT" and then the rest of the plugs to the PCM/ECM was like new. So i ordered a new PCM/ECM and then i installed it. I then fired the truck and it fired right up however i went to pull outta my garage and then lost all power again and then ran into the same issue all over again. I repeated this 1 more time and then ended up taking it a shop since i couldnt figure it out. I have check all the ground wires to the best that i know and replaced one that was cracked... Then when the shop got the truck they said it was the "Cam Shaft Position Sensor" sending to low of voltage to the computer. Then i got it back after 800.00 laters and it was running prefect for the last month. I decided to take my little pull behind camper to Nebraska one last time this past weekend and it was running smooth no lights no weak points. I started up a small hill behind 2 loaded gravel trucks and hit the tow haul on the shifter and lost all power. I kept my foot in the floor board hoping it would come back and which it did and i took it off the side of the road. I didnt cause damage to the truck just needed to get out of the lane of traffic.... i opened the hood and found that the "Auto Shut Down Relay Output" was fried again... im currently waiting for a new computer again to bring it back to colorado.

I hope this is enough to get some kind of help with what else would be causing me to go threw the PCM/ECM left and right.... This time has stood out more because I drove it for a month no problems and then pulled without hitting tow haul no problems and then now all of a sudden i hit the tow haul and loss everything and fry the computer again....

Thanks!!

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. A couple thoughts.
If you keep burning up ECMs at the same circuit pin (which I’m assuming is the C3 terminal), there is likely an issue in the wiring harness going to that spot, whether it is at the connector itself or further down the wire. Could be an intermittent short near the ECM that is getting temporarily “corrected” when the harness is moved around to replace the ECM. Could even be a slightly loose female terminal in that plug.

Second thing I see is that you had the problem at the moment you hit the O/D switch. The pin for that switch on the ECM is C13, which is immediately adjacent to the ASD terminal that keeps burning up. I would check for a short between those two wires in the harness or an internal short inside the plug. If you don’t have one, a multimeter is your friend. Just probe those two terminals in the plug and check for continuity between them. Also, clean out that harness plug with some terminal cleaner or brake cleaner if you’re in a pinch.

I would try looking at these things before purchasing another ECM just in case. There is a chance that it could still be okay.

One other thought, on the forum you’ll usually get a better response if you give a brief description in the title of your post instead of a generic “HELP!!!”

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
This is just a repair tip on wires, not about your problem , but in repairing in a semi/permanent way. I had the wires on my A/C start shorting out preventing the A/C from working. I separated the wires and the wires were fine but the insulation had cracked off. Rather than just use electrical tape, I got out some plumbers putty and created some crude insulation over the wires. I still used tape ( not knowing if the putty was conductive or not ) and wrapped it all up. Been working fine for almost a year.

drakon543

Reaction score
can't remember exactly which setup it was but i recall there being a regular issue with one or both v8s where the engine harness itself would fail and cause this issue. something about oil getting into the harness. you have stated you replaced the ecm after finding a burned plug. you haven't mentioned anything about replacing wires or the burned plug.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is just a repair tip on wires, not about your problem , but in repairing in a semi/permanent way. I had the wires on my A/C start shorting out preventing the A/C from working. I separated the wires and the wires were fine but the insulation had cracked off. Rather than just use electrical tape, I got out some plumbers putty and created some crude insulation over the wires. I still used tape ( not knowing if the putty was conductive or not ) and wrapped it all up. Been working fine for almost a year.
There’s actually a product purpose made for that called liquid electrical tape. I’ve used Permatex and Plasti-dip brands, both with good results.

Eclektq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 ***-Apart
Ok. A couple thoughts.
If you keep burning up ECMs at the same circuit pin (which I’m assuming is the C3 terminal), there is likely an issue in the wiring harness going to that spot, whether it is at the connector itself or further down the wire. Could be an intermittent short near the ECM that is getting temporarily “corrected” when the harness is moved around to replace the ECM. Could even be a slightly loose female terminal in that plug.

Second thing I see is that you had the problem at the moment you hit the O/D switch. The pin for that switch on the ECM is C13, which is immediately adjacent to the ASD terminal that keeps burning up. I would check for a short between those two wires in the harness or an internal short inside the plug. If you don’t have one, a multimeter is your friend. Just probe those two terminals in the plug and check for continuity between them. Also, clean out that harness plug with some terminal cleaner or brake cleaner if you’re in a pinch.

I would try looking at these things before purchasing another ECM just in case. There is a chance that it could still be okay.

One other thought, on the forum you’ll usually get a better response if you give a brief description in the title of your post instead of a generic “HELP!!!”

Just a thought....Just rebuilt the rear axle on my 2001 2WD 5.9, And when I let down the spare to remove it, The tire had pinched the harness going back to the tail lights
and had rubbed through the loom and was working on the insulation on a half a dozen wires. Said a quick prayer of thanks to the Master Mechanic above and fixed it.
I know it'd be a *****, But I'd start at the ECM and Fuse panels and work my way down the lengths of them and look for rub marks, Pinches etc. Good luck!

Eclektq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 ***-Apart
can't remember exactly which setup it was but i recall there being a regular issue with one or both v8s where the engine harness itself would fail and cause this issue. something about oil getting into the harness. you have stated you replaced the ecm after finding a burned plug. you haven't mentioned anything about replacing wires or the burned plug.

Good point, High detergent oils/tranny fluids and heat will turn anything with a rubber base into slime given time. And his description of hitting the tow button and dying might be an indicator.....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Unless the original poster changed names
They have not posted since September 28th

TommyTwoRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013/2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to throw in my two cents until I noticed the date. I had the same exact truck but sold it because of PCM issues. If you see this and need a PCM send me your part numbers and I’ll see if I have one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963