HELP RC LED Strip LIghts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John J Voss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, newbie here.

So I have a 13 Express and am trying to install a set of the Rought COuntry LED tailgate lights.

This is what I have: https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-49-multifunction-led-tailgate-light-strip-ram.html

I plan on hard splicing the wires behind the bumper but for now I am testing to be sure they work before going that far.

So when I plug into my 4 pin trailer plug, the strip's running lights will work when I turn the headlight switch on. All good there.

However, brake and turn signals on the strip will not work. I know the truck wiring is good and working. It all works on my trailer and on my little trailer plug tester.

There is a note on the instructions that says if not working, connect the extra red wire to a switched power source to get enough power for the lights. So when I do that, the running lights come on, even without the light switch being on. The brake and turn now work though. BUT, I can't turn the running light off as it is wired hot.

I really do not want the strip's running lights on all of the time if my headlights are not switched on.

Anyone out there have any experience with this particular situation?

Any help is much appreciated.