Help!!! Truck shut off on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dougiefresh2012
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A broken valve spring on a 2017 w/67k I would be at the dealership for warranty work. It seems way to early in milage. Is it original motor parts? I would do a full teardown of both sides if it were me, I think some other parts maybe suspect as well. Does this truck like to get sideways....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

truck runs awesome makes lots of power and goes like a bat outta hell. have had zero issues with it until this. and had signs that something was wrong or was gonna go wrong it just went. and yes motor is original its never been taken apart only upgrades are a intake and ported throttle body

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
truck runs awesome makes lots of power and goes like a bat outta hell. have had zero issues with it until this. and had signs that something was wrong or was gonna go wrong it just went. and yes motor is original its never been taken apart only upgrades are a intake and ported throttle body
Would that be the 6.4 intake or a ported 5.7 or 6.4........just curios how much of an improvement it made for you?
If you work at a machine shop you could definitely make that spring compressor.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would definitely work that warranty option.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Depending how long you felt the vibration it can be the lastly. It is right on the window we see these 70k to 130k miles. Run codes again if you cleared it.
Was this due to translating from chinese?:D

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would definitely work that warranty option.

But get the dealer to commit to warranty before bringing it in to work on otherwise they might charge you a couple hundred to diagnose and then still charge you to fix it.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Found the culprit cylinder one broken valve spring..

Does anyone know how to change it without removing the head?
2 popular methods.
1.) Get an airhose adapter that threads into a spark plug hole. Get the piston to top dead center then apply air using your air compressor. This will keep the valve from dropping into the cylinder. Then reach into your pocket and get that prybar style of spring compressor ( that of course you purchased prior to doing this:D) pry down and remove the valve keepers. Remove old spring, replace spring & keepers.

2.) Same as above except after getting piston to TDC, instead of air and the sparkplug airhose adapter, get a real long piece of 1/8" rope that you purchased when buying the prybar spring compressor) and feed it into the spark plug hole untill the cylinder is full. Make sure the rope is long enough to fill the cylinder and still have enough left over to dangle out of the hole so you can pull it out when done. That will keep the valve from dropping into cylinder. Then remove keepers & spring and install new.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But get the dealer to commit to warranty before bringing it in to work on otherwise they might charge you a couple hundred to diagnose and then still charge you to fix it.
It looks like the OP was sent a PM from @RamCares maybe they can give more insight.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2 popular methods.
1.) Get an airhose adapter that threads into a spark plug hole. Get the piston to top dead center then apply air using your air compressor. This will keep the valve from dropping into the cylinder. Then reach into your pocket and get that prybar style of spring compressor ( that of course you purchased prior to doing this:D) pry down and remove the valve keepers. Remove old spring, replace spring & keepers.

2.) Same as above except after getting piston to TDC, instead of air and the sparkplug airhose adapter, get a real long piece of 1/8" rope that you purchased when buying the prybar spring compressor) and feed it into the spark plug hole untill the cylinder is full. Make sure the rope is long enough to fill the cylinder and still have enough left over to dangle out of the hole so you can pull it out when done. That will keep the valve from dropping into cylinder. Then remove keepers & spring and install new.

If you're doing the nylon rope idea,you want to feed the rope in while the piston is down the cylinder a bit,then rotate it up to where it gets tight.You can't usually feed enough rope in with the piston at TDC to hold the valves in place,ask me how i know,lol

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you're doing the nylon rope idea,you want to feed the rope in while the piston is down the cylinder a bit,then rotate it up to where it gets tight.You can't usually feed enough rope in with the piston at TDC to hold the valves in place,ask me how i know,lol
Thanks, I did forget that small but very important detail.

:happy160:

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
7k out of powertrain warranty?
I would try the warranty thing anyway. My truck had been out of the 5 year warranty about 9 months when the cam lobe went out, had less than 100,000 miles on it, but Ram Cares fixed it when I agreed to pay a 10% co-pay. No brainer.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best way as I have found is to use a compression tester hose and screw it into the cylinder in place of the spark plug. remove the rockers for both valves in that cylinder and then hook up the air compressor line to the spark plug compression hoes fitting and charge it with air "70 plus lbs" and then remove the keepers and broken spring and install the new spring and keepers. The air pressure will keep the valves closed... no need to remove head..

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of great suggestions here! My favorite way is the rope. I use a organic rope that way if anything falls into the combustion chamber it will just burn off.