help with MS-8 setup and what frequencies to use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have searched all over and cant find any info on what to set the frequenices at, Maybe Its because im out of my league who knows, but this MS8 sounds like crap no matter how i set it up. anyone have an idea at what settings to use? Also the Sub doesnt hit very hard and actualy the most movement i see out of it is during the acoustic setup on the MS-8. There is also a huge difference in sound going from radio to music stored on the HU. HU is stock 430n RHB

L/R Dash
Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx
3-1/2" 2-way speakers (pair)
Plus One+ polypropylene woofer cone with hi-roll rubber surround
PEI balanced dome tweeter
True Four Ohm Impedance technology: speaker's 3-ohm impedance combines with speaker wire impedance for a 4-ohm load
compatible with virtually all factory or aftermarket car stereos
power range: 5-25 watts RMS (75 watts peak power)
frequency response: 85-21,000 Hz
sensitivity: 91 dB

Front Doors
Polk Audio DXi651s 6.5"
power range: 6-55 watts RMS (165 watts peak power)
frequency response: 50-22,000 Hz
sensitivity: 92 dB

Rear Doors are stock

Sub
12"Kenwood KFCW12DVC

AMP

JL Audio JX500/1d
300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP since you are only running 1 sub amp why are you even messing with a dsp? use a basic LOC and call it a day.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I loved my MS-8. I think Etroze hit on the head though. The MS-8 is way out of the league of the speakers you have.

Try setting the front doors at 50-300 with a 12dB slope and the dash speakers at 300 to full with a 12dB slope and re-do calibration. I would also say the MS-8 isn't given the Polks enough power, they like a little juice.

Also make sure you have a full signal going to the MS-8.

OP
OP
C

cgworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I loved my MS-8. I think Etroze hit on the head though. The MS-8 is way out of the league of the speakers you have.

Try setting the front doors at 50-300 with a 12dB slope and the dash speakers at 300 to full with a 12dB slope and re-do calibration. I would also say the MS-8 isn't given the Polks enough power, they like a little juice.

Also make sure you have a full signal going to the MS-8.

Would you suggest I replace the speakers and if so with what? Should i also run another amp to the polks and maybe the rear doors? If so what are recommendations. I have yet to replace the rear doors and im also open to recommendations on that as well

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The opportunities are endless with the MS-8. To really take advantage of it, you should really focus on a true 2-way active system. It's been a while since I've looked at independent drivers, but I am sure Etroze could chime in.

If quality and not volume is your goal, something like these may work. If volume is your goal, you should really focus on getting more power as well.

Dayton Audio RS28F-4 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter

Dayton Audio RS150P-4 6" Reference Paper Woofer 4 Ohm

You could also go with a more traditional component set but it really wouldn't take advantage of the MS8.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really like those Daytons for a price to performace when using raw drivers. I recently built a set of HT towers using the 8ohm versions of those speakers actually and you would be amazed how well they image for cheap drivers.

OP
OP
C

cgworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I really like those Daytons for a price to performace when using raw drivers. I recently built a set of HT towers using the 8ohm versions of those speakers actually and you would be amazed how well they image for cheap drivers.

So would I be better off to Purchase new speakers for front and rear doors to feed from the MS8? and if so should i also purchase a seperate 4 channel Amp for those speakers and run it of the Line outputs of the MS* for the doors? Im not trying to achieve big bass but and really clean and crisp sound, I primarly listen to country and rock. Ive also noticed that with the MS8 the Radio sounds worse thna music I have stored on the hard drive of the factory HU

also Would i be better to move the Polks to the rear doors and purchase something else for the front doors?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can defiantly do the 4 channel if you like, I like to have big volume and control of my speakers so I run a ton of power. Do you have to purchase new speakers, no not really but I think you would be way better off and have a better experience with the MS-8.
The actual radio isn't a very good source as there is a ton of information lost over the air and different frequencies are boosted to make up for it, or at least that's my suspicion.
If you want rear fill I would use the polks in the back off of the MS8 amp, fronts I would look at these for a great set of speakers.
NVX XSP65 6.5" X-Series Component Mid-Bass Drivers
NVX XSPTW 29mm X-Series Soft Dome Tweeters - Sonic Electronix
Hope this helps a bit.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Great speaker options posted...Daytons or those NVX's would make for a beautiful sounding system. You have a very powerful processor in the MS8. I agree with Etroze with placing the Polks in the rear doors (or returning them and running the factory speakers) I'm not a big fav of spending much money (IF any) on the rear speakers....they just don't add much to the system (and they shouldn't....its just rear fill)
The star of the show is always the front speakers, and that is where you should spend your money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca