helper springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had experience with Hellwig 990 helper springs? My 2004 1500 has 265,000 miles on it and I think the rear springs could use a little help when towing my 5000 lb. camper. I do use a WDH when towing.

Ron Morell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No XP with helper springs. I did install the Timbren Aeon Rubber Springs (replaces the bumpstops, not the springs). I regularly tow a bass boat that was squatting the rear end too much. No more squat, quality of unloaded ride is not affected except in the harshest of bumps, towing ride is a lot better or much more like I want it.

http://timbren.com/aeon-springs/

pawpaw01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I installed a set of Hellwig 2500# helper springs on my half ton years ago. They eliminated any sag on the rear of my truck, even when hooked up to a heavy load. They made for a stiff ride whenever I had no load though. I recently removed one of the two leafs on each side and am very pleased with the ride now. Mine are now comparable to what you are asking. You may consider changing your rear shocks as well to assist with your ride comfort. Good luck with your decisions.

OP
OP
J

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have a new set of Monroe Gasmatic shocks on the back. I think I'll just put a new set of springs on and see what I need, if anything, for help.

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have Heavy duty Bilsteins and 1500 pound helper springs on my 1500 and have no trouble at all towing 10,000 lbs with it. I dont think local or state law enforcement would take to kindly to a 1500 series towing that kind of weight around.
I also upgraded to drilled slotted rotors, new calipers, and always the best ceramic pads i can get. My truck rides like a Cadillac on the highway........