Hemi 5.7 Short Piston Skirts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All, New here I have the 5.7 hemi when I start after a cold soak, I get a knock in the lower end that makes racket for about 3-5 seconds and then goes away, It does it a bit on a warm start, Is this due to the Short Piston Skirts, in the cylinder walls or is it the no check valve in the filter causing oil pressure to release when its shut off Should I get this **** oil out of here and put in a good filter.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
It's from oil drain back. Happens on every single one. The clatter makes me cringe every time.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look up the oil thread in the 4th gen section. Lots of people running PUP or redline in the hemi due to the rough starting and a royal purple filter

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Odds are your oil filter is defective. You don't need to drain the oil to replace it. Get a new mopar filter on there ( a safe bet). If it keeps making the noise take it to a dealer.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a noisy valve-clatter startup (for aboout 2-3 seconds) exactly once, when the truck was only three months old with about 4000 miles. I am pretty sure it was a poor oil anti-drainback valve from the Factory OE filter. The truck was not driven for about three weeks before this, and the noise happened on the first re-start. I told the dealer, who didn't really have a suggestion.

I changed the oil and filter early, and I made sure the new filter had a silicone anti-drainback valve (Fram XG2 in this case). I'm sure there are other decent filters out there, but I have not had a single recurrence since then. I'm at 15K miles now and the truck has had as much as two weeks sitting without another incident, so I'm happy.

I plan for 5K oil changes or less. I am running Quaker State Ultimate Synth 5W20 the last two oil changes, since RAT540 blog suggests it may have better film-forming performance than Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20. It is less expensive, available more places by me, plus it has been tested to the Mopar / FCA Material Standard MS-6395 (meets spec for warranty).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hi All, New here I have the 5.7 hemi when I start after a cold soak, I get a knock in the lower end that makes racket for about 3-5 seconds and then goes away, It does it a bit on a warm start, Is this due to the Short Piston Skirts, in the cylinder walls or is it the no check valve in the filter causing oil pressure to release when its shut off Should I get this **** oil out of here and put in a good filter.

The name for this is hemi tick, so you can use that for your research. What the oil industry uses for dry starts is molybdenum, so if you are looking at lubrication you can start with high moly oils or additives. Some base oils are also better then other at sticking to hot metal, lots of stuff to look into. Synthetic oil thread has many of these discussions. Redline killed my tick with a RP filter. Some guys have had success with other oils/additives as well, but this one is a winner for sure.