Hemi tick - an engine idling anecdote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
1 hr idle time is equivalent to 33 miles.
Unless you drive mostly highway miles,lol. That doesn't really apply to guys who live in rural areas,or drive highway miles.There's lots of guys who pull out of a driveway onto roads like this,lol

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
These videos serve as proof that sometimes we are our own worst enemies and that forums, while helpful, serve as a breeding ground for panic onset and is definitely not a healthy place for self-destructive personalities or those most gullable. Everything they read, they take as gospel almost without considering they are likely in the group never to experience a problem. The smallest of issues have all of us coming looking for the perfect answer. That does not exist. We have to realize each of our trucks are unique even with the same powertrain. End of the day, you're either really lucky or you've figured out what your truck likes best. This guy probably got lucky AND chose the bees knees for his personal truck.

I somewhat agree, we can definitely cause our own "panic" and worry. But at the end of the day the hemi tick is still a problem, we're just not all 100% in agreement as to what causes it (my opinion is still the "bad part" theory and not a design flaw). I think we're all pretty agreed that oil/filter choice is very important, how effective RL and LG can be in many cases etc. So I'm definitely glad I've been on this forum.

Also agreed that there are many differences in our trucks, heck there might even be several causes to tick and we're all right! lol.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love the videos this guy puts out. He has 200,000 miles now on a 5th gen ram limited.

Over 1600 idle hours
Over 4000 drive hours
Totaling 5700 hours

He just runs Penzoil full synthetic and a Penzoil filter, with 10,000+ mile OCI's. Does a lot of heavy towing too.

Basically he does everything we've been "taught" not to do, no tick in site.

Makes me feel so much better about my own truck. Entire video is a great watch, but can skip to 11:20 or so to get the hours discussion.

I've known four Ram 1500s that have gone over 200,000 miles without a major engine problem, and two of them I know personally. These were all 4th gens, however.

This past summer my old 2010 was at the dealership while I was in for service. The current owner now has 266,000 on it he said the engine hadn't been touched except for a water pump, thermostat, and exhaust manifold studs. At that time he was in for minor maintenance and a differential rebuild.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84977 miles