Hemi tick - an engine idling anecdote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I love the videos this guy puts out. He has 200,000 miles now on a 5th gen ram limited.

Over 1600 idle hours
Over 4000 drive hours
Totaling 5700 hours

He just runs Penzoil full synthetic and a Penzoil filter, with 10,000+ mile OCI's. Does a lot of heavy towing too.

Basically he does everything we've been "taught" not to do, no tick in site.

Makes me feel so much better about my own truck. Entire video is a great watch, but can skip to 11:20 or so to get the hours discussion.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I love the videos this guy puts out. He has 200,000 miles now on a 5th gen ram limited.

Over 1600 idle hours
Over 4000 drive hours
Totaling 5700 hours

He just runs Penzoil full synthetic and a Penzoil filter, with 10,000+ mile OCI's. Does a lot of heavy towing too.

Makes me feel so much better about my own truck. Entire video is a great watch, but can skip to 11:20 or so to get the hours discussion.

Damn i wonder if he shuts if off to put fuel in it,as he's gotta be just about living in the truck to put 190,000 miles on it in 4 years,lol

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
He’s never serviced the transmission. Certainly a testament to the truck, but I’m not going to follow his example.

Me neither. I was watching that video and basically would disagree with many of his decisions; air suspension is no go up here in the cold, transmissions never serviced, his choice in oil/filter is less than stellar, service interval is way too long, idling hours are pretty high... and yet his truck just keeps ticking (the good kind of ticking).

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Still, it's good to know that his HEMI made it close to 200k miles on an interesting maintenance schedule, dare I say, strategy?

That's a lot of miles in a very short time.

His video testimonials are intriguing, but are only for his HEMI experience. I'll take my chances with my maintenance strategies that are closer to those required from the owners manual.

His HEMI must have been an Wednesday build? jk ...

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
200k miles on a 2019 hemi tells the story, lots of easy freeway miles would be my guess. He is over 4 times the average mileage from gov't estimates of average per year miles at 11k per year. Plenty of easy miles. But, that is only half the issue, some hemi's never have issues, what can we say? My hemi started ticking at 3500 miles new, what the faw k am I supposed to do with that garbage? Turn lemons into lemonaide is what I did with it, thanks to the coll;ective help on the board. Nice story on this truck, gotta love it for him, I bet when he craps it don't stink either.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
200k miles on a 2019 hemi tells the story, lots of easy freeway miles would be my guess. He is over 4 times the average mileage from gov't estimates of average per year miles at 11k per year. Plenty of easy miles. But, that is only half the issue, some hemi's never have issues, what can we say? My hemi started ticking at 3500 miles new, what the faw k am I supposed to do with that garbage? Turn lemons into lemonaide is what I did with it, thanks to the coll;ective help on the board. Nice story on this truck, gotta love it for him, I bet when he craps it don't stink either.

His miles aren't easy though, that's the thing. He tows heavy quite often. He has a 3.21 and one time pulled in excess of 10,900 pounds. Most of his towing is about 5000 to 8000 IIRC.

Those idle hours are insane and probably count for many more "miles" on the truck. I think I'm at like 65 idle hours for 50,000 miles and I bet 20+ were from the factory or before I picked it up new.

I just posted this to give us all some hope. I seem to read a lot of resigned "doom and gloom" on these forums about the tick and how likely we are to get it etc. Despite treating his truck completely the opposite of what we know works best, his is still appears to be going strong for now. What we do with our choice in oil/filter, OCI, and low idling etc can only improve our chances even more.

Last edited:

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's the rub of these trucks. You can treat the one like my dad does. He runs it on standard oil at way too long intervals on 87 gas. He hasn't changed coolant, transmission fluid, nothing. He doesn't rotate wheels.

I do all of the good stuff and I'll probably get hemi tick. It's lke a fitness fanatic who is vegan getting cancer while a crack head doesn't.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That always blows my mind that some have short and frequent oci's, then experience failure, and some just don't. Boggles the mind.

We can only do the best we can, and when it breaks, fix it. In between, enjoy our trucks.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That always blows my mind that some have short and frequent oci's, then experience failure, and some just don't. Boggles the mind.

We can only do the best we can, and when it breaks, fix it. In between, enjoy our trucks.

And to top it all off, I forgot to mention he's just running 5w-20 :oops:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Statistical probability of failure is $pooky field of engineering.

I can assure the warranty department at Chrysler did a thorough analysis of the probability of lifter and cam failures prior to deciding on fix-as-fail policy. Hell, they might have had as many engineers on that as on new product development.

How so I know? Been there, done that. Ask if you want a good story.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Statistical probability of failure is $pooky field of engineering.

I can assure the warranty department at Chrysler did a thorough analysis of the probability of lifter and cam failures prior to deciding on fix-as-fail policy. Hell, they might have had as many engineers on that as on new product development.

How so I know? Been there, done that. Ask if you want a good story.
I'm up for a good story :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So, back in the day...

A certain corporation launched a new product into production before it was fully developed, and without market seeding as a 1st field test.

The product had a clean sheet new design diesel engine with 16 cylinders and 3,000 hp @ 1,800 rpm.

Unrestricted orders were taken, and demand was 10 times greater than forecasted by the crack marketing department.

The engines were knowingly made with defective pistons that had steel crowns containing casting sand that hadn't been cleaned out. This resulted in bore polishing all cylinders, with resultant loss of ring seal and power, pumping oil out the breather. The prototype engine lasted 200 hours @ moderate duty cycle.

Yours truly supplied statistical field data to estimate the number of these engines sold into standby generator applications that were likely not to reach 200 hours of actual runtime.

Based on that assessment, and the fact a rebuild was minimum $40,000 per engine in an accessible installation (not all are accessible), the executives elected not to launch a field campaign to fix every engine, and to only fix-as-fail, engine-by-engine, and to say nothing about it, holding all discussions confidential with no field bulletin.

I lived it. Does this sound familiar to you Ram owners?

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s

Over 1600 idle hours
Over 4000 drive hours
Totaling 5700 hours

These videos serve as proof that sometimes we are our own worst enemies and that forums, while helpful, serve as a breeding ground for panic onset and is definitely not a healthy place for self-destructive personalities or those most gullable. Everything they read, they take as gospel almost without considering they are likely in the group never to experience a problem. The smallest of issues have all of us coming looking for the perfect answer. That does not exist. We have to realize each of our trucks are unique even with the same powertrain. End of the day, you're either really lucky or you've figured out what your truck likes best. This guy probably got lucky AND chose the bees knees for his personal truck.