Hesitation/Stumble Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well, the truck is leaving. I am getting rid of it before it becomes a much worse headache than it is now. Thank you all for your input and ideas.

What are you replacing it with ?

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What are you replacing it with ?

What I've had on and off for years and never had any issues; a 1993 Silverado. I'm sick of MDS, DOD, AFM this and computer that. Technology isn't working in our favor anymore as far as I am concerned.

I'm going back to a vehicle that I am work on blindfolded, diagnose and fix anything on it myself without having to pay anyone else a dime.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
What I've had on and off for years and never had any issues; a 1993 Silverado. I'm sick of MDS, DOD, AFM this and computer that. Technology isn't working in our favor anymore as far as I am concerned.

I'm going back to a vehicle that I am work on blindfolded, diagnose and fix anything on it myself without having to pay anyone else a dime.

Man I hate to see you having to get rid of it, but I completely understand what you mean! I feel like I can do ANYTHING to my 85 K5 Blazer, all the technology and luxuries are wonderful on newer vehicles, but just a big ol' pain in the ass/wallet when **** goes wrong. You getting out from under it without losing a bunch of money?

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Man I hate to see you having to get rid of it, but I completely understand what you mean! I feel like I can do ANYTHING to my 85 K5 Blazer, all the technology and luxuries are wonderful on newer vehicles, but just a big ol' pain in the ass/wallet when **** goes wrong. You getting out from under it without losing a bunch of money?

I wish I could say I wasn't loosing money but I can't. However, what I am loosing now is nothing compared to what I could lose if this thing craters.

85 K5. NICE! I love the full size blazers from all years.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
That sucks, good luck with the truck though!

And thank you! Love my Squarebody!

35406377_2056936614317742_1606442760842248192_n.jpg

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
NICE!!!!!

Thanks man! Got some 1 ton axles in the garage. 14 bolt Full float is open and going to get rebuilt eventually with 4.88 gears, HD Dana 44 as well, still together. Gonna be a long road cause I keep throwing any petty cash I have at my damn RAM!! lol.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks man! Got some 1 ton axles in the garage. 14 bolt Full float is open and going to get rebuilt eventually with 4.88 gears, HD Dana 44 as well, still together. Gonna be a long road cause I keep throwing any petty cash I have at my damn RAM!! lol.

Hahahaha, I hear that. It will be nice once you convert it over to the larger axles. You'll get there with it.

Like I've pointed out on here before. This is really not good for Dodge. Of course until the issue hits a insane number of complaints they will more than likely ignore it as they are now apparently.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Nice ride. Drove a 91 gmc for 9 years and 272000 miles. That 350 wouldn't die. It died from rust being up in the salt belt.

Gmjrpayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well just got thru tearing it down .. ( hot ass hell out side just saying ) I had one failed lifter ( NON MDS ) go figure and one wiped out cam lobe ( intake ) see pics . Going back and doing MDS delete . Looking like 800.00 in parts not including oil and such ..

BC4695F1-48DF-4A61-855D-50A1621F210F.jpeg

B5CB7C9E-9222-490D-A2EA-092282C12462.jpeg

93179A6C-0BBB-427B-A7B2-2788335944A7.jpeg

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
WOW, I am sorry to see this. There is 100% NO excuse for this to be happening on a stock vehicle that is just a daily driver!

Gmjrpayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes sir !!! All it takes is one !!! Non MDS lifter . This truck always had oil change 3000 miles

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes sir !!! All it takes is one !!! Non MDS lifter . This truck always had oil change 3000 miles

What a shame! If my truck was not having these issues I would keep it because the truck itself is pretty nice and I have no complaints about the that. This however, these engine issues are over the top and should not be happening.

On a side note, I noticed yesterday there is a ticking/clicking sound coming from the engine somewhere internal as best I can tell without digging any further.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So much for the theory that MDS is causing the lifter failure.

I don't think I would jump to that conclusion just yet. Who knows for sure what side the MDS the problem is occurring on. It could still be an MDS issue whether on the inactive/off or active/on side of things.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
So much for the theory that MDS is causing the lifter failure.

I am confused, how do we know it isn't causing it? When he said "non mds lifter" what are we taking from this, it is not one of the lifters that shuts down during MDS activity? I am heavily considering getting a tune and turning off MDS permanently... But I dont want to take a chance at giving the dealership reason to give me a hard time if I am in for warranty work. My truck came with a 3rd party 200k/7yr powertrain warranty since it was a used vehicle sold with under 100k miles on it.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am confused, how do we know it isn't causing it? When he said "non mds lifter" what are we taking from this, it is not one of the lifters that shuts down during MDS activity? I am heavily considering getting a tune and turning off MDS permanently... But I dont want to take a chance at giving the dealership reason to give me a hard time if I am in for warranty work. My truck came with a 3rd party 200k/7yr powertrain warranty since it was a used vehicle sold with under 100k miles on it.

Honestly, from everything I have read on this and unfortunately that has been a lot. It is a problem with the lifter that is related to the MDS. Without the MDS these kinds of lifters would not be used. It was explained to me that when a lifter fails it can be a couple things. However, most of the time it is something along the lines where one of the lifters begins sticking and basically locks up, then it grinds the cam lobe flat. Again, I am not an expert, just going by what the shop who has does several of these is telling me. I don't think there is any rhyme or reasons as to which engines will have this issue, It is more a luck of the draw kind of thing. Sadly enough, for every person who is having symptoms like this Dodge should conducted an extensive examination on the engine with a scope and whatever is necessary to see why it is happening and make it right for the consumer.

Don't know if it is true but I have been told if you deactivate the MDS, it will void the warranty.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Honestly, from everything I have read on this and unfortunately that has been a lot. It is a problem with the lifter that is related to the MDS. Without the MDS these kinds of lifters would not be used. It was explained to me that when a lifter fails it can be a couple things. However, most of the time it is something along the lines where one of the lifters begins sticking and basically locks up, then it grinds the cam lobe flat. Again, I am not an expert, just going by what the shop who has does several of these is telling me. I don't think there is any rhyme or reasons as to which engines will have this issue, It is more a luck of the draw kind of thing. Sadly enough, for every person who is having symptoms like this Dodge should conducted an extensive examination on the engine with a scope and whatever is necessary to see why it is happening and make it right for the consumer.

Don't know if it is true but I have been told if you deactivate the MDS, it will void the warranty.

This wouldn't surprise me a bit. To be honest, this whole 3rd party warranty biz is for the birds. They will probably fight it no matter what it is or what was done, knowing that not many people are gonna lawyer up. At that point cheaper to pay for the fix! Sad but true I imagine. I am tempted to just get a tune, disable it and deal with it. Just gonna give it awhile haha. Got my Vararam yesterday... gonna probably hold on to stock intake in case something does happen, so I can replace it before going in lol

Gmjrpayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know this is a big problem with the hemi . But on the positive side of the Ram truck I love the handling cab space Ram boxes ETC . I took my time tearing it down had some awesome step by step instructions with pics from a fellow Ram forum member ( thank you ) did the work with sons ( 16&13 ) teaching them a little. I was able to take my time . Heat out side was the biggest issue I had . Once I get it back together I should
Be able to get another 150,000 miles out of it ..