2015 3.6L- replaced oil cooler, now has stumble issue when shift into gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffrey Hoying

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I had an oil leak that I diagnosed as a leaking oil cooler on my 2015 Ram 1500 3.6L engine with approx 160K miles. Pretty common issue from what I have read. I replaced the oil cooler assembly this past weekend and leak was gone. I used a bunch of shop rags to soak up as much oil as possible but I also pushed a lot of oil over the back of the engine as evidenced with a large oil puddle on the floor. I also used new gaskets in top and bottom of lower manifold. Oil leak ahs been fixed. HOWEVER..... now I have a rough idle or stumble when put into gear. A slight rough idle is noticed when in park, however, when put in drive and foot removed from brake- as in slowly backing up- feels like its stumbling. Give it a slight amount of throttle and issue goes away. Driving normally- no issues. Runs fine. Coming to a stop sign, its fine until the last few feet before coming to a complete stop. It stumbles and then goes to slight rough idle when at a complete stop. Taking off by giving it some gas and its fine. Thought maybe it was some debris in the injectors from intake being removed so I added some fuel injector cleaner and that did not help. Also- 3x now I got the throttle position sensor error while stopping that gave me limited throttle resposnse. I turned engine off and back on and throttle position error is cleared. I tried to recalibrate it by turning key on, waiting for all lights to clear and then slowly depress and release throttle before turning key off. That did not help. This morning at a traffic light, again I got the throttle body error but this time also got a transmission error where the truck would not move until I put it in park and then drive again. So what may be causing this. Is there a possible intake leak somewhere? Did pushing all of the oil down the back of the engine possibly cause transmission issue? Is there a hose or sensor that I maybe overlooked during re-assembly? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Intake Manifold Gasket would be my guess. Or a connector not plugged in properly.

FLFBSManiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have the same issue - had the oil filter housing replaced and now a rough idle. It was smooth as glass before.
When I stopped at a light or anytime stopped with it in drive, you didn’t know the engine was even running.
2015 Ram 3.6 106K.
The fuel usage is up also - about 2 mpg. If the electronic guesstimator is accurate.
The hunt begins…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat