Hey all - possible new Ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DollarBill

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I’m Bill - possible new Ram owner. Been a Ford guy (don’t hate me) having owned five. Three F150s and two F350s depending on my needs.

Been browsing a lot - figured it was time to register so I could post.

Looks like a great community. Happy to be here!

My best to you all and a happy holiday season to everyone!

Bill

OP
OP
D

DollarBill

Reaction score
Hey all!

New to the forum. Been a Ford owner (don’t hate me - or do :) ). I’ve had three F150s and two F350 PSDs depending on my needs. I now have a 2018 F150 Crew 6.5 bed with the 3.5L EcoBoost. 40k miles on it.

Tired of the cam phaser issues (replaced - truck still runs like crap), a tranny that sucks and doors that freeze shut and then won’t latch once you get them open.

Thinking about a 1500 - Rebel or Lariat Longhorn. I’ve yet to drive one and will do before long.

I’d go with the Hemi. I know about issues with them. I’ll be driving 15k a year at least (new job so more miles) and the goal would be 10 years. Interest on repair costs for things - like exhaust manifold bolts - and when they go. This is my real question.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great holiday season guys!

Bill

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the site. If you're looking at new, the warranty would cover it at first although they usually don't break until near the end of the warranty period or as soon as it ends. Sorry I can't comment on price, I traded my last truck ('19) in with only 32k on it and no broken bolts. The Ram I had before that ('14) I traded in because it was starting to develop lifter issues. I'm sure that had a few broken ones but that wasn't a concern compared to the lifters.

Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of guys who can give you a ballpark but most of them are sleeping right now. Only a privilege few get to work night shift like me. Yes, I'm being sarcastic but the bright side is that there aren't a ton of bosses running around and I get to chill when nothing is broken.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey all!

New to the forum. Been a Ford owner (don’t hate me - or do :) ).

Thinking about a 1500 - Rebel or Lariat Longhorn.
Welcome to this forum Bill.

I can tell you are coming from a Ford, RAM doesn't have a Lariat (they do have a Laramie) trim. The top trim is a Limited followed by the Limited Longhorn. The major difference is the interior colors and standard options but a Longhorn can include everything a Limited offers.

I prefer the Longhorn interior coloring, my 2022 was ordered with the black/cattle tan with wood accents. I also have a 2015 one-ton Longhorn with the Cummins powertrain I use for the RV and dump trailer.

Just over a year ago, I decided to replace my 2013 RAM Laramie so I went looking at the F150 as well as the Denali with the baby Duramax. Did not care for Ford's interior and GM's was even worst but I realize that is subjective. The most noticeable are the ride quality and interior road noise, RAM won both of those so a RAM I ordered.

I didn't have any issues with my 2013 RAM I drove for 9 years and 88,000 miles. Before the 2013 RAM, I was driving a 2003 Tahoe Z71 that I racked up 299,000 miles on with only front wheel bearings and a transmission rebuild needed.

I think reliability is a draw of the straw. If you think about how many RAMs are out there versus the number of people complaining and realize the vast majority do not participate on forums, the issues are likely minimal. If you want safe, RAM likely has the least recalls followed by GM, and then Ford's recalls are out of control, Ford is running a three times warranty cost per vehicle over their competitors.

If you go with RAM, investigate the Mopar Maxcare service contract. It really is good and I have them on both my vehicles. The biggest issue all makes have right now is if you break down, which is highly unlikely, replacement parts can be difficult to get from the supply chain.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I came from 150s also. They are very similar vehicles overall, but my Ram seems to be just a tad better in fit and finish. Definitely a more luxurious ride. And Ram wins hands-down on looks to me. Ram recently got a low ranking on the JD Power reliability rating, but that was primarily due to the UConnect issues with the stereo. So, if you see that and think Ram has major issues, just know that it's not a big deal. Uconnect is one of the biggest complaints. Mechanically, these things are solid.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$550-$800 per side on manifolds is what I've been charged. Would do it myself but both times required welding because the stud broke off flush.

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am also a former Ford owner; I have had 11 of them. My '22 Limited is my first RAM. Just passed the one-year mark/17K miles. Very happy with it so far. The ride is Fantastic. Still excited to get in it every day.

OP
OP
D

DollarBill

Reaction score
Welcome to this forum Bill.

I can tell you are coming from a Ford, RAM doesn't have a Lariat (they do have a Laramie) trim. The top trim is a Limited followed by the Limited Longhorn. The major difference is the interior colors and standard options but a Longhorn can include everything a Limited offers.

I prefer the Longhorn interior coloring, my 2022 was ordered with the black/cattle tan with wood accents. I also have a 2015 one-ton Longhorn with the Cummins powertrain I use for the RV and dump trailer.

Just over a year ago, I decided to replace my 2013 RAM Laramie so I went looking at the F150 as well as the Denali with the baby Duramax. Did not care for Ford's interior and GM's was even worst but I realize that is subjective. The most noticeable are the ride quality and interior road noise, RAM won both of those so a RAM I ordered.

I didn't have any issues with my 2013 RAM I drove for 9 years and 88,000 miles. Before the 2013 RAM, I was driving a 2003 Tahoe Z71 that I racked up 299,000 miles on with only front wheel bearings and a transmission rebuild needed.

I think reliability is a draw of the straw. If you think about how many RAMs are out there versus the number of people complaining and realize the vast majority do not participate on forums, the issues are likely minimal. If you want safe, RAM likely has the least recalls followed by GM, and then Ford's recalls are out of control, Ford is running a three times warranty cost per vehicle over their competitors.

If you go with RAM, investigate the Mopar Maxcare service contract. It really is good and I have them on both my vehicles. The biggest issue all makes have right now is if you break down, which is highly unlikely, replacement parts can be difficult to get from the supply chain.

Thanks for all the comments. Appreciate it.

I‘m going to look into an extended warranty if I buy one as long as it’s refundable if I sell it. Local dealer’s quality are important to that too. Don’t have too many near me comp to where I used to live.

I have an extended warranty on my current truck but have little faith in the two dealers near me.

OP
OP
D

DollarBill

Reaction score
I came from 150s also. They are very similar vehicles overall, but my Ram seems to be just a tad better in fit and finish. Definitely a more luxurious ride. And Ram wins hands-down on looks to me. Ram recently got a low ranking on the JD Power reliability rating, but that was primarily due to the UConnect issues with the stereo. So, if you see that and think Ram has major issues, just know that it's not a big deal. Uconnect is one of the biggest complaints. Mechanically, these things are solid.
Thanks!

UConnect is the Ram Bluetooth phone connection for iPhone and Android? Is it the same for all the screen sizes?

Sorry - I still got more research to do…

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the comments. Appreciate it.

I‘m going to look into an extended warranty if I buy one as long as it’s refundable if I sell it. Local dealer’s quality are important to that too. Don’t have too many near me comp to where I used to live.

I have an extended warranty on my current truck but have little faith in the two dealers near me.
Have purchased three Ram 1550 crew cab, with Hemi 5.7. SLT, Laramie and current Longhorn Limited. Great trucks. Longhorn Limited fantastic truck, ride...

Warranty. For me, MOPAR ONLY.
- Laramie blew an engine ~88K miles. Yea should not have happened. But it did. MOPAR replaced the engine and provided rental. ~40 days from blown engine to Laramie back on the road. ZERO bucks out of my pocket.
- As an aside, all required maintenance done by Ram / MOPAR, (except tires). <<< THIS is, in my mind why MOPAR did NOT quibble about covering everything. All maintenance was MOPAR and in their computer.

FWIW. Last year, when I traded in a Grand Cherokee (with MOPAR extended warranty), I got credit for the warranty, as I bought a new Grand Cherokee.

OP
OP
D

DollarBill

Reaction score
Have purchased three Ram 1550 crew cab, with Hemi 5.7. SLT, Laramie and current Longhorn Limited. Great trucks. Longhorn Limited fantastic truck, ride...

Warranty. For me, MOPAR ONLY.
- Laramie blew an engine ~88K miles. Yea should not have happened. But it did. MOPAR replaced the engine and provided rental. ~40 days from blown engine to Laramie back on the road. ZERO bucks out of my pocket.
- As an aside, all required maintenance done by Ram / MOPAR, (except tires). <<< THIS is, in my mind why MOPAR did NOT quibble about covering everything. All maintenance was MOPAR and in their computer.

FWIW. Last year, when I traded in a Grand Cherokee (with MOPAR extended warranty), I got credit for the warranty, as I bought a new Grand Cherokee.

Thanks. Not near Carson/Reno by any chance? Looking for dealer recommendations. Only two real close. PM if you’d rather.

Can you buy a MOPAR warranty online? Did that for a couple of my Blue Ovals and was half the price of the local dealer.

Sorry again. Still need to do more research.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are Mopar Extended Warranties sold for almost 1/2 what your local dealership will sell it for.

The fun part comes when you show your dealership what places like Zeigler will sell it for & then ask them if they would care to Match the price :)

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
granger motors in granger iowa say the will sell any warrranty for $50 over cost. another great place , to check pricing, if nothing else is chryslerwarrantydirect ro some such.

Rams are as dependable as most everyone else. issues are known and, for mosst part, avoidable. short tube hears or upgrading exhaust bolts, right from teh git go is favored by some, others jsut wait until warranty is almost out , then drop off at dealership complaingina bout this that and the other to get teh technicains busy finding anything that can be repaired under wrranty.

I had the lifter tick chewed upcamshaft, fixed at 99K miles udner exhaust warranty, nothing otu of my pocket and i bought another after researching all the othe rissue other brands had.