Hi everyone, new here, with a 2014 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jafgreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this has probably been beat to the ground but I am going to ask away

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 8 speed ZF trans, bought new and now have 188000 miles with out any real issues, Finally changed the plugs at 180000 miles, which, I have say made no difference. My drive is all highway to work. I am currently getting an average of 20.6 MPG

Big question, I don't feel right about not changing the trrans fluid and filter. I understand its lifetime fluid but no one can tell me what "lifetime" means. I've changed every other fluid in it but the trans. Took it to the dealer and said to do it.. They said no, we don't have anything on doing a fluid change.
Thoughts on this?
Sorry, again, I know its a repeat post, I am sure

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Lifetime" is a marketing ploy used by Stellantis. ZF will tell you it is not, and recommends 100K interval for normal service (sooner for hauling/towing) for drain/fill and new pan/filter. I can tell you that I had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same transmission and changed the fluid at 166K miles. I sent the old fluid to be analyzed and the Blackstone results were surprisingly good. If that were my truck I'd change the fluid and pan soon. There are many threads regarding using OEM fluid vs Aftermarket...study those and decide for yourself. I and many others found great success using Valvoline Maxlife fluid...MUCH cheaper than the OEM fluid. You can also upgrade to a pan with a removable filter...something I plan to do as well.

NOTE: DO NOT do a flush service...only a drain and fill.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless you bought it private party and know for sure it's original fluid, ...You might swing by the Chrysler service dept and ask them to look through all the service records (for your tk). Maybe it's been changed before already. I would still do it, but it would be good to know what major service has been performed.

Also, some small-town Chrysler dealers parts dept's will sell oil out of their bulk barrel ..which around here is much cheaper than anywhere I can purchase it. Then you know you have the 'right' product. Call a couple and see. Bigger dealers won't do it.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
post #2 hit the nail on the head.
Drain, fill adn enjoy

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Another poster on this forum, verndiesel, has an eco diesel 4th gen with the ZF trans. He tows 30 ft trailers with it for a living. He has over half a million miles on his truck with original trans and regular Maxlife fluid changes so yes,, change it with maxlife asap.
:cheers: