Hi everyone!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Lots of new firsts for me...

First post, first Dodge, first one ton, first 4x4 and first diesel!

I just bought a 2004 3500 quad cab, 175k miles. I'm finding lots of little problems with the truck so far, nothing major and thought I'd check here for tips and hints. So far, I really love the truck... rides great and fuel economy is almost twice as good as my Ford F150!

So, I hope y'all won't mind a first timer's questions!

Cheers!

natethecarlover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of new firsts for me...

First post, first Dodge, first one ton, first 4x4 and first diesel!

I just bought a 2004 3500 quad cab, 175k miles. I'm finding lots of little problems with the truck so far, nothing major and thought I'd check here for tips and hints. So far, I really love the truck... rides great and fuel economy is almost twice as good as my Ford F150!

So, I hope y'all won't mind a first timer's questions!

Cheers!
Hi and welcome

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Welcome to the group! There is a ton of great info in here.

Post up a pic of that Ram!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome to the group! There is a ton of great info in here.

Post up a pic of that Ram!

Will do. Give me a couple days. I'm rushing trying to get her ready for a long road trip next week and I'm a little anxious about it, being a new truck to me and not having full faith in her just yet. Fixed the possessed windshield wiper problem today. I need to scrounge up some tire changing tools and check the spare. The mechanic inspector said the steering needs new "stuff." Ball joints? I don't remember. Then an alignment. A leak in the cab when it rains I can't seem to find... and more. Bear with me, please :)

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
No worries! Where is ground zero of the leak? Steering stuff could mean a lot lol good luck with that! It takes awhile to build faith in a new vehicle, specially when it is used, cause you are trying to trust not only a factory/dealership but also whoever may have owned it last! Here is hoping that it all goes well!

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
No worries! Where is ground zero of the leak? Steering stuff could mean a lot lol good luck with that! It takes awhile to build faith in a new vehicle, specially when it is used, cause you are trying to trust not only a factory/dealership but also whoever may have owned it last! Here is hoping that it all goes well!

Yep. You get it! ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well, the used Dodge proved reliable on its first long trip away from home (800 miles). The only problems were the AC failed after reaching my destination, and I think I found the rain leak... Cab clearance lights. Since I was staying there for almost a month, I was able to get the AC repaired before the return trip. The cab lights revealed themselves on the morning I began the return trip... as I was pulling out, it was raining and an occasional drip would form and fall from the driver's side visor retention clip mounted to the cab headliner.

I was surprised how poorly the truck traction was off road. A little wet grass was almost enough to get stuck (with road tires). On at least a half dozen occasions I had to engage the 4x4. It's nice not having to exit the vehicle to mess with the hubs!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
. A leak in the cab when it rains I can't seem to find... and more. Bear with me, please :)
First WELCOME to the group! Congrats on your new to you RAM :) If your leak is in the back of the cab a common leak comes from the Third Brake light crappy gasket failure ! Just thought I would throw that out there ! And a mentioned Pics are a Must ! If no pics that means you do not really have the truck lol

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Wet grass is a lot more slippery than many people realize. I had a power company bucket truck get stuck about 6' onto my lawn one day. He cut through the sod with the duals on both sides and made ruts 6" deep before finally getting out and locking his front hubs. I agree wholeheartedly that engaging the front axle from inside the cab is nice . . . and then some.

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
First WELCOME to the group! Congrats on your new to you RAM :) If your leak is in the back of the cab a common leak comes from the Third Brake light crappy gasket failure ! Just thought I would throw that out there ! And a mentioned Pics are a Must ! If no pics that means you do not really have the truck lol

Okay OKAY! GEESH! Here's a picture to prove I have a new to me ram... wait! How do you know it isn't my neighbor's? Seems the bar for 'proof' is pretty low around here! LOL

Complete with mud, smashed bugs on the headlights and brake dust on the rims after her maiden long voyage (with me) to Tennessee...
Dodge.jpg

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Seems like an appropriate amount of filth on the truck. Pic and explanation accepted. At least here, anyway.:D It might be the case that the only thing we really have high standards for is brand choice.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Okay OKAY! GEESH! Here's a picture to prove I have a new to me ram... wait! How do you know it isn't my neighbor's? Seems the bar for 'proof' is pretty low around here! LOL

Complete with mud, smashed bugs on the headlights and brake dust on the rims after her maiden long voyage (with me) to Tennessee...
View attachment 140354
Very nice looking RAM :) Now I believe you have one lol Great info on site and great people willing to help. So ask away :)

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Wet grass is a lot more slippery than many people realize. I had a power company bucket truck get stuck about 6' onto my lawn one day. He cut through the sod with the duals on both sides and made ruts 6" deep before finally getting out and locking his front hubs. I agree wholeheartedly that engaging the front axle from inside the cab is nice . . . and then some.

That's just wrong!