Hi. New member and question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeabeeVet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi y'all. I am a fresh member and would like to introduce myself. Besides being new to this forum, I am also new to foruming in general. I have always owned a Mopar of some sort since the 1980's. Also, I've always kept a 78-79 Ford truck or Bronco around. My last truck was a lifted 1999 2500 5.9 that I loved. My son drove it one day that included a freak snow storm and totaled it. That brought me to my current 2014 Ram 2500 6.4. I would have gotten another 2nd gen except for the 165hp difference. Now I am used to and love this new truck. I have big plans for it and will be asking a few questions and also have a few things to share so I am looking forward to interacting with this great site.

Now for a basic question. I can't seem to locate the torque spec for the oil drain bolt for a 6.4. Who knows it?

I'm sure y'all know and are laughing at this. I used to never torque ****. I also used to snap bolts and pull threads. You know, I'll just give it a little more snuzz. Oops! So now I'm **** about that stuff.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I think you're gonna love this (it doesn't have the oil drain bolt spec which IIRC is around 18-20 ftlb, but it's good for reference if you want to torque stuff up). https://www.ramforum.com/threads/chassis-torque-specs.92967/

There's a search field in the upper right hand corner of all the pages that I've found useful for almost any info I need for my truck.

Last edited:

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome!! Honestly, just snug the bolt up and you’re good. It’s probably about 10-20 ft/lbs which is just passed hand tight. Don’t wrench it down hard because you will strip it out easily and there’s no point in it. I’ve been working on cars professionally and on the side since 96 and I’ve seen too many people try to become Hercules with it only to damage their oil pan. I’ve always just gotten the bolt finger tight and then put 2 fingers on a small wrench and tightened it maybe 1-2 more turns. Whatever it takes to just put a little pressure with those 2 fingers and I’ve never had a leak or a stripped out oil pan or bolt.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

I had asked my FCA Tech that same question when I owned a 2014 6.4L 2500. His response what "gudentite". Huh??? He laughed and said "good and tight". OMG. He is a goof sometimes but he's good at what he does.

He went on to say his FSM said 20 lb-ft for the oil drain pan.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum. Love how humorous some of the responses get here. Looks like you are military from your user name, you can have that designation added. I did not serve but have family past and present do so, and like to see those who did serve get recognized for it.

OP
OP
SeabeeVet

SeabeeVet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the responses. I was gonna buy a Femco drain valve but at $50, I'll have to pass. My 2nd gen plug torque was 25ftlbs. It seems stupid to me to even ask for a torque spec on a drain bolt as I never used to even own a torque wrench. Thanks again for all your input.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Welcome to RamForum.

I had asked my FCA Tech that same question when I owned a 2014 6.4L 2500. His response what "gudentite". Huh??? He laughed and said "good and tight". OMG. He is a goof sometimes but he's good at what he does.

I always heard that "gudentite" was German for ******....

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL, 20 lbs on drain bolt is common standard, but I would not go past 25 F/lbs.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses. I was gonna buy a Femco drain valve but at $50, I'll have to pass. My 2nd gen plug torque was 25ftlbs. It seems stupid to me to even ask for a torque spec on a drain bolt as I never used to even own a torque wrench. Thanks again for all your input.

Fumco valve, PPL love em that do a lot of oil changes, keeps the mess down a lil,,,,, Not got one on MY 19, but than Dealership does all my changes right now....... Mine are $18 out the door once I start paying, but gonna use full synthetic, so be $45.01 outta da door.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi y'all. I am a fresh member and would like to introduce myself. Besides being new to this forum, I am also new to foruming in general. I have always owned a Mopar of some sort since the 1980's. Also, I've always kept a 78-79 Ford truck or Bronco around. My last truck was a lifted 1999 2500 5.9 that I loved. My son drove it one day that included a freak snow storm and totaled it. That brought me to my current 2014 Ram 2500 6.4. I would have gotten another 2nd gen except for the 165hp difference. Now I am used to and love this new truck. I have big plans for it and will be asking a few questions and also have a few things to share so I am looking forward to interacting with this great site.

Now for a basic question. I can't seem to locate the torque spec for the oil drain bolt for a 6.4. Who knows it?

I'm sure y'all know and are laughing at this. I used to never torque ****. I also used to snap bolts and pull threads. You know, I'll just give it a little more snuzz. Oops! So now I'm **** about that stuff.
MsRL9Li.jpgCLZA3Xs.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm sure y'all know and are laughing at this.

Yes but we are laughing with you not at you. Any guy that knows the 79 Bronco is the best vehicle ever made is OK in my book.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to RamForum.

That's German Torque "Guten-Tite" :)

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yeah, @SeabeeVet - welcome to the RamForum. There's guaranteed to be more here that you'll ever get through, but a LOT of knowledge and information. Remember to use the "search" box (top right) to get you close to what you're looking for or you'll be spending days scrolling through the pages.

Again, welcome!

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service to our great country. I honor all that have everytime I see someone. Those in the comments above that have served. Thank you so much as well. This place is great for information. Forums really are the best. Ask and get answers from others that have been their before you. Just tight enough is my oil drain screw. I'm super careful with that. Many happy miles. See you in the forum.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
nospillsystems.com

I like these better than FEMCO. Only thing I don't like is that the hose is needed, and one hose doesn't fit all plugs. But I have a plug like this on 4 vehicles (currently) and have had them on all vehicle for last 20 years or so, ever since I first saw one at Geno's Garage for my Cummins. I love putting one of these plugs on at first oil change, and never taking plug out again, thus alleviating the possibility of stripping the threads in the pan. Also, NO MESS! I can keep empty oil jugs from previous oil change and just drain straight into them with the hose from the plug.

Welcome to the site. And from one vet (retired Air Force) to another, thanks for your service!

SOLER

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat