hi!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cleatus

Reaction score
Ram Year
new here. been looking at Ram 1500 for a while. I have a Gladiator now, but was looking to switch over to full size.

question
-I am looking at a 2019 1500 limited. 38k miles. it has all the goodies anything i should be concerned about or look for on it? common issues, updates that should be done, etc?

if wondering why im switching....i NEVER offroad with the jeep. Its fun and all, but noisy, brash, uncomfortable. and i live in WI so half they year or more i cant take the doors off.

thx all!

YooperEE5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought 2019 Laramie 1500 last month with about 44k miles now. Absolutely love this truck.

Be wary of the air ride suspension - do some reading if you are considering air ride. It can result in some rather expensive repair bills (sometimes).
my opinion is that the air ride suspension is not needed; these trucks ride very nice without it.

Good luck!

brian42

Military
Reaction score
A Limited only comes with air suspension.

My dad has a Limited. His ride is a little firmer than mine (he has air suspension and 20" wheels and I have spring suspension and 18" wheels) but the adjustable height makes it easier to get in and out compared to mine (and he has used entry/exit mode to get into parking garages also).

Most issues should be worked out by now. There are only a couple of things I would specifically check when looking at a '19 or '20:

1. Listen for a ticking sound when you start the truck. If if goes away in a few seconds that's fine but if it hangs around for awhile that could be a valvetrain problem or possible a broken exhaust manifold bolt (both covered by the 5/60 powertrain warranty).

2. Does the exhaust sound loud under the hood? That could be a cracked exhaust manifold that is also covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty.

3. Check the rear of the headliner in the back of the cab. Is it stained? If so that could mean a leak in the shark fin or 3rd brake light (that may or may have been repaired).

4. Check the rear window frame. Are there any cracks in in along the top near the sliding window vertical frame pieces? If you are not sure run your fingernail across them to see if your nail catches. If so then the rear frame could be leaking and needs to be replaced. That is something that is no longer covered on that truck and will run about $1800 to get done. Not a big deal but something to negotiate with the seller.

These are all "common" issues. I put that in quotes because everyone will jump on and say that this is rampant in these trucks...and for a lot of us that come to internet and sign up for a forum, they are.

These are all small percentage possibilities but, as far as probable, are some of the prime candidates that might not have been fixed by the previous owner...if they exist.

For the most part find something you like, take a good test drive, and sit in the truck and push all the buttons to make sure they work.

Other than that, find what speaks to you at your budget level and enjoy.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I am pretty sure the 5th generation do not have the air ride problems, but look into it.

I have a loaded 2020 Limited and it is fantastic

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank