HID Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Hey all, got a new truck... First Dodge too. Had a question about putting in some HIDs... I was curious if Ican just put any kit in or if I need something special. I was doing some reading in this forum and see some mentions of specific kits, but didn't know if I was limited to those... Or I can just use any 'ole HID kit with ballast. Thanks!

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 15's have been known to have issues with most hid kits as of now.

There's a couple places workin on a fix right now for it.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
The 15's have been known to have issues with most hid kits as of now.

There's a couple places workin on a fix right now for it.

Thanks for the heads up! What is the issue?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Retroshop and enlight both have a kit for the 2015's. Something with the computer/canbus is a bit different in the 15's. Dodge/ram has always been finicky about adding hid's. Neither are cheap. Both I believe are $200+

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Retroshop and enlight both have a kit for the 2015's. Something with the computer/canbus is a bit different in the 15's. Dodge/ram has always been finicky about adding hid's. Neither are cheap. Both I believe are $200+

200 like... 600 for low, high, and fogs?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
200 like... 600 for low, high, and fogs?

To do all, possibly. I have read on another forum that a few were able to add a 50W 6Ohm resistor in line with the drivers side for fogs (maybe highs) and up to this point have had no problems.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
To do all, possibly. I have read on another forum that a few were able to add a 50W 6Ohm resistor in line with the drivers side for fogs (maybe highs) and up to this point have had no problems.

Ouch... That's pretty harsh. Guess time to look into some better quality bulbs at least... Hate that factory yellow headlight color

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ouch... That's pretty harsh. Guess time to look into some better quality bulbs at least... Hate that factory yellow headlight color

I hear ya, I've been looking for new lights since I got the truck. I think eventually i will just do HID low beams from Enlight or Retroshop and call it good.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Well I'm an Amazon Prime member and have no problem returning things so I went ahead and bought a set ANYWAY for the sake of science. I also bought a relay harness and a set of resistors inline with the wiring. They will arrive today and I'll install them and post results back. To be honest, from what I've read here, they won't work. BUT I figured it was worth a try just in case. Fingers crossed, will let you know!

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Lol! I couldn't take it anymore either and just ordered the kit from Jeremy at Retroshop. I sent him an email with a question at 10:40 and got a response at 10:45 another round of questions and I had my order placed by 11:00. Hard to beat service like that! I'll post some comparison pics when I get them installed.

Brenroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The guy that owned my truck before me had put some in. I had the dealership take them out as well as all the LED's in the inside of the cab. The never worked right. Would come on when the doors opened but didnt work when i tried to turn them on. The LED's would light up the TPMS light on the dash when ever the lights turned on. Dont know if they where a cheap set or what.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Well I'm an Amazon Prime member and have no problem returning things so I went ahead and bought a set ANYWAY for the sake of science. I also bought a relay harness and a set of resistors inline with the wiring. They will arrive today and I'll install them and post results back. To be honest, from what I've read here, they won't work. BUT I figured it was worth a try just in case. Fingers crossed, will let you know!

Well my experiment worked and now I have 55w HIDs with no flicker or any adverse issues to report.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
nice job... keep us posted as to any issues!